Many different Datsun alternators and alternators from other makes can easily be fitted to the Datsun 1200. If you are running high-power headlights, off-road lighting systems, or high-power stereo gear, using a high output alternator is called for. Or, if you need to replace the 1200 alternator and have free or inexpensive access to different alternators, you might consider a swap. Lastly you might have a bad Voltage regulator, and by swapping to an internally-regulated alternator reliability increases since these use a solid-state (no moving parts) regulator.
There are two major considerations in a swap:
- Physical swap. How does it bolt to the A12 engine?
- Electrical swap. How will the new alternator be connected to the wiring?
Early A engine (1966-1973) has limited room for alternator. It is mounted low, under manifolds, on left side of engine. The larger 50A alternator will bolt to the bracket, but the alternator rubs against the lower radiator hose. It could be made to work, but is not recommended.
Stock Hitachi LT-135 35A
- Weight: 8.4 pounds with pulley
- Front flange (bolt ears): 13mm thick
- Distance between engine-side mounting ears: 80mm
- Distance between Adjustment bolt and mount bolt: 156mm
- 10.5mm diameter mount holes
- Diameter of body: 114mm (4.5")
- Fan belt center: 29mm from front bolt face
- Pulley diameter: 69mm
- Adjustment bolt: Flange threaded for M8x1.25 bolt
Datsun 1200 uses the typical 1970s Hitachi T-shaped connector:
- Nuetral point
Other alternators use different connectors. Since the LT-135 uses spade connectors, wiring should be pretty simple.
Hitachi LT-150 looks like it will bolt right in place of stock LT-135 -- but the alternator rubs against the lower radiator hose. It could be made to work, but is not recommended.
- 9.6 pounds: Bosch AL237X 50A 1974-1978
Hitachi 50 Amp (Bosch AL237X)
- CHEVROLET LUV PICKUP (1981 - 1982)
- ISUZU PICKUP (1981 - 1986)
- ISUZU PICKUP NORMAL CAB 1987
- ISUZU TROOPER (1984 - 1985)
- DATSUN 200SX 1977
- DATSUN 610 (1974 - 1976)
- DATSUN 710 (1975 - 1977)
- DATSUN B210 (1975 - 1977)
- DATSUN F10 (1976 - 1978)
- Fits same as Bosch #AL241X 60AMP
Internal Regulator Alternator
Nissan 23100-B9810 (Mitsubishi A1T22971/Hitachi LR135), 35A internally regulated is a direct physical replacement for the original (small) B110 alternator. It even will use the same fan pulley belt. It is wired differently however (see Hitachi LR Alternator Wiring).
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation A1T22971
12V 35A 1X23
LS wiring (see Hitachi LR Alternator Wiring)
Also see Alternator Part Numbers
keywords: dynamo, generator, ダイナモ
Newer Datsuns from about 1978 came with an alternator with internal-regulator, the LR150/LR160, including fitment on newer A-series engines.
See main article: Hitachi LR Alternator
- Ford Falcon EA Alternator. Also see: EA falcon mounting diagram
- Bosch of Australia internal-regulated Alternator
- Chrysler alternator upgrade on Yahoo! Clubs Datsun 210