The SR20 can bolt-in to a Datsun 1200 without cutting the firewall, though it's easier with an original automatic-equpped car (which has a bigger central tunnel). The 1989 SR series is considered to be the replacement for the 1981 CA Engine based primarily on NVH improvements. It is heavier and bulkier than the CA series, but the SR20 puts out more HP than the CA18 or CA20 engines. In most Australia states, 2-liter is the largest normal engine swap into 1200, so the SR20 naturally aspirated is the ultimate capacity swap. In North America where there are no laws limiting capacity swaps, the KA24 is a more popular swap due to the larger CCs, higher horsepower and higher availability.
- SR16VE is a hot one (NEO VVL), but small displacement means it is better for parts to make a hot SR20
- 16VE N1 Autech was 200 HP stock with with 8600 RPM redline
- SR18Di was made for a while (1990-1993), but has less HP than the lighter GA16DE engine -- see GA Engine Swap
- SR18DE made 125HP, but is much heavier and bulkier than CA18DE 131 HP
- SR20Di only 122 HP (single-point Fuel Injection aka TBI)
- SR20De is low emissions version
- SR20DE from 140 to 169 HP
- SR20VE has NEO VVL variable camshaft timing and lift. Unfortunately it was only available in FWD vehicles
- SR20VET has the most HP (280HP) and was available only in the X-trail GT
- SR20DET from 205 to 250 HP
This is one way to swap an SR20DE into a 1200 -- and is easier than most ways.
- Stock SR20DE from Silvia S13 (RWD), get complete with wiring and 5-speed
- Find the 5 wires needed to run the engine and connect them to the 1200 wiring system
- Stumpy 5-speed, swap front case with SR 5-speed front case
- Stock 1200 auto driveshaft (unmodified)
- Create Gearbox Mount suitable for Stumpy
- Cut the stock 1200 crossmember uprights, weld flat plates at an engle to it. Drill a hole for the Silvia engine mounts
- Fit a large B310 radiator or other similar shaped radiator
- Modify/find radiator hoses and water outlet to suit
- Fit exhaust (welding, tube bending, etc)
- Fit 5/16" medium pressure EFI fuel hoses and EFI fuel pump
- No need for tank baffling or swirl pot (surge tank) -- if you keep the tank above 1/4 filled
- Use skinny tires with stock 1200 diff, or fit a 1200 Ute diff (H165) for more spirited driving. Swap in an H190 rear axle assembly for hard driving.
If your government requires it, check with an Engineer before starting this project. Local regulations may require other changes to the engine as well as to the chassis.
RWD vs. FWD block
- Nissan Silvia S13, S14, S15 (240SX) 1990-2002
- NIssan 180SX
SR can use the same mounts as L-series or Z-series or KA-series. So treat the crossmember like any L-series swap.
SR20 and KA24E/KA24DE use this style rubber isolator. Buy at RockAuto.com:
Comparison: L-series isolator (Datsun 510)
Red Top: S13/180SX/Bluebird/Pulsar 1989–1994, Garrett T25G turbo Black Top: S13/180SX 1994–1998, Garrett T25G turbo Black Top: S14 1994–1998, VTC, Garrett T28 Black Top: S15 1999–2002, VTC, Garrett T28, Coil-pack, 6-speed Silver Top: Avenir 1995–2001 Silver Top: R'nessa 1997-2001
Discussion: AFRacer's journal of SR20DET Swap into Left-hand-drive 1200
Japan Market RWD
Vanette is similar to the FWD SRs in that the distributor is on the back on the cylinder head, and the Throttle Body is pointing back. Because the engine is mounted under the floor, there is no firewall to foul on.
C23 SR20DE 9106-9906 Vanette Serena * underslung plenum back-head * rocker cover vent straight-back * rear exhaust C24 SR20DE 9907- Serena * top plenum straight-back * rocker cover vent on back sides * center exhaust
S13 SR20D 9101-9310 Silvia underslung up rearex RS13 SR20DE 9608-9812 180SX S14 SR20DE 9310-9812 Silvia overslung forward rearex S15 SR20DE 9901- Silvia overslung forward rearex S13 SR20DT 9101-9310 Silvia COP COVER (13287-51E00) RS13 SR20DET 9101-9812 180SX COP COVER (13287-51E00/13287-51E01) S14 SR20DET 9310-9812 Silvia overslung forward rearex S15 SR20DET 9901- Silvia COP COVER (13287-91F00 sloping)
RWD SR - japan import engines Nissan Silvia S13, S14, S15 1990-2002 NIssan 180SX (RS13)
Japan Market North-South
North-south (horizontally-mounted) engines typically have:
* rocker cover breather pointing straight back * distributor on the back of the head * throttle body facing back * center exhaust outlet
M11 SR20DE 9508-9811 Prairie M12 SR20DE 9811-0105 Prairie Liberty N30 SR20DE 9710-0107 R'nessa P10 SR20DE 9002-9508 Primera 4-dr sedan P10E SR20DE 9107-9611 Primera 5-dr hatchback P11 SR20DE 9509-0101 Primera P11E SR20DE 9611- Primera UK R11 SR20DE 9501-0008 Presea U13 SR20DE 9109-9511 Bluebird U14 SR20DE 9601- Bluebird V10 SR20DE 9812- ラィーノ back+side vents W10 SR20DE 9005-9808 Avenir W11 SR20DE 9808- Avenir WP11 SR20DE 9709-0011 Primera Camino wagon M12 SR20DET 9910-0105 Prairie Liberty high-mount turbo N14 SR20DET 9008-9501 Pulsar N30 SR20DET 9710- R'nessa U13 SR20DET 9109-9511 Bluebird W10 SR20DET 9005-9808 Avenir W11 SR20DET 9809- Avenir P11 SR20VE 9509-0101 Primera P12 SR20VE 0101- Primera U14 SR20VE 9601 Bluebird WP11 SR20VE 9709-0011 Primera Camino wagon R10 SR20D 9006-9412 Presea tubular dual-outlet exhaust T30 SR20VET 0010- X-Trail Top-plenum COP U12 SR20DT 8910-9108 Bluebird distributor U12 SR20D 8910-9108 Bluebird WU12 SR20D 9102-9109 Bluebird オーズィー RB14 SR20DE 9801-0008 Rasheen distributor, top box plenum
box-plenum: SR20DE M12 N15 SR18DE N30 P11 R11 RB14 U14 W11/WP11
tubular dual-outlet exhaust SR20DE U12/WU12 W10 P10/P10E R10 SR18DE B14 9509- N15 9601-
All FWD - distributor on back of head, no VVT
B13 J/SR20DE Sentra B13 U/SR20DE Sentra B14X SR20DE B14U SR20DE B15U SR20DE
USA - FWD SR 1991-1994 B13 Nissan Sentra SE-R 140hp 1991-2002 Infiniti G20 (Nissan P10/P11) 140hp. 145hp from 2000-2002 1995-1998 B14X Nissan Sentra SE & SE-R (both 140hp) 1995-1998 B14U Nissan 200SX SE-R 140hp 1999-2001 B15U Nissan Sentra SE 145hp (roller rocker)
S13 - no VVT S14/S15 - VVT (cam bulge), DET has twin slope cam cover FWD - no VVT, distributor on back of head RWD - distributor on left side of head at front S14/S15 DET - no distributor (COP ignition)
FWD - Nissan Sentra
S13 1994–1998 Red Top SR20DET COP, no VVT
S13 1994–1998 Black Top
S14/S15 1994–2002 Black Top
S14 SR20DE - cam bulge
S15 SR20DE - plug wires & distributor
Same as S14
S15 SR20DET - COP (no distributor) twin slope-cover
Same as S14
SR20VET high-mount turbo sloping rocker cover COP * COP Cover NEO VVL (unique) * dual-lobe intake camshaft (VVL) * Side-mount plenum (unique) front sump large ports deeply notched GT2560 (T28BB) turbo
S14 SR20DE VVT - distributor on left side of head on front S14 SR20DET - COP, no plug wires
Some guys at Ozdat swapped an SR20DE into a 1200, costs were $1400 for the engine swap part, $2000 total including the car.
Red Top, Blue Top, Black Top, Black Cherry Top
Also see: SR Engine Photo Uploads
Click each photo for large photo and discussions.