Welch plugs (core plugs) are circular discs that fit into, and seal the casting and machining holes in the Engine block, Cylinder Head and Transmission. You may hear them called "welsh plugs". They are often called "freeze plugs" because if the engine coolant freezes they'll be pushed out of the casting. However, the purpose is not necessaryily to solve freezing problems but rather to seal the holes left by the casting or machining process. Those that are designed for freezing safety are called "expansion plugs".
- 00933-14000 PLUG-WELCH (1) head, rear
- 11019-32200 PLUG-WELCH 44 CAM BEARING (1) block, rear
- 00933-15000 PLUG-WELCH 50 CORE HOLE (3) block, rear prev. 01648-00084
- 00933-13500 PLUG-WELCH 35 CORE HOLE (3) block, right side
- 00933-11400 PLUG-WELCH TRANSMISSION CASE (2) inside bell, northwest of mainshaft
- 32102-18000 PLUG-WELCH TRANSMISSION CASE (1) inside bell, below mainshaft
Removal and installation
Removal: tap one edge with a punch or chisel, then grab it with vice-grips and wiggle it out.
To install, fit squarely into bore, and tap gently and evenly into place. No sealer is used.