Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Melted fuse block >=I NEW issues
Just can't stay away
From Vancouver, Wa
Group:
Registered Users
Well I melted my fuse block, when I got the car I knew it had a slight headlight issue(I thought I fixed it I found a couple bad grounds) but on my way home tonight I saw smoke. I looked under my dash and BAM!!! The fuse that supply's juice to my headlights is fried. It didn't blow the fuse it just got REALLY REALLY HOTT and melted up my fuse block!! It also only gets hot when I have the headlights on. I can run my running lights all I want and it wont get warm but as soon as I hit the headlights it's getting hott. Could this be from my turn signal cam being so hokey? Or...... Could my headlight switch not be grounding out?? Any help is GREATLY appreciated as this is my Daily driver and I need it.
Thanks in Advance
LeDevil

EDIT: I will go get pics right now

Posted on: 2009/5/14 5:57

Edited by LeDevil on 2009/5/15 11:07:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Melted fuse block >=I (PICS)
Just can't stay away
From Vancouver, Wa
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the pics
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2009/5/14 6:32

Re: Melted fuse block >=I (PICS)
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yikes. I've seen them got hot enough to melt but not like that.
It may have just been a corroded connection right there. A lot of current goes through it (up to 20A), not enough to trip the fuse, but could generate enough heat to melt the plastic.

I think you can take the wire off the back, splice an inline fuse into it (like a stereo fuse, but the wire needs to be as large as the original). Just make sure to put the right fuse in (20A, not 25 or 30).

Posted on: 2009/5/14 6:50

Re: Melted fuse block >=I
Just can't stay away
From Vancouver, Wa
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks David, I'll take care of that tomorrow so I can buy the stuff from work .

Posted on: 2009/5/14 6:57

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
It was probably caused by a looseish type connection... They call it a HOT JOINT, i have found heaps on my ute and have been fixing up wiring all over the place... I recently just replaced the fuse box with a after market style of one, re-did all the connections as mine had melted a little also. Was some time ago that had happened though as it was sorta kinda fixed up by god knows who

Posted on: 2009/5/14 10:01

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Castro Valley,CA USA
Group:
Registered Users
It's happened to me too. My poor wife was in the car.
"it smells like pencils burning!!"
"why is smoke coming out of the dash?!?!"

I found a good used block and cleaned the terminals with some fine sandpaper. I also put some conductve grease on the terminals before snapping the fuses in.

If I'm not mistaken, that fuse is only for the headlights. The parking lights are on a separate circuit.

Posted on: 2009/5/14 10:54

Just can't stay away
From Selangor, Malaysia
Group:
Registered Users
hi guys,

i'm experiencing this kind of problem too..except my box doesn't melting..
my fuse always trip when engine rpm reach above 3k..it is ok when idle,but not when i start to drive the car..

its only affect to the brake light,fuel and temperature gauge and also signal..and when that happen,the Charge lamp will automatically turn on..
and the fuse box also getting hot..what is the problem?is it the same problem that LeDevil facing?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 7:42

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Open in new window

Fuse Box

I can't think of a reason your fuse(s) would blow only after the engine revs up. Could it be vibration?

Meters and Brake (Stop) lights are two different fuses.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 7:48

Just can't stay away
From Selangor, Malaysia
Group:
Registered Users
only 1 fuse that will blow..and this fuse give a 'life' to the things that i've mentioned above..

any chance that this problems come from short-circuitry? and where should i start to check/trace the probs?

thanks.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 10:00

Just can't stay away
From Vancouver, Wa
Group:
Registered Users
Seeing as my work didn't have the relays I did what Ddgonzal said and just put in a inline fuse using same size wire gauge and correct fuse rating and now I have MORE NEW issues!! So here goes (See pic for reference)

Ok so the yellow lined fuse gets HOTT! when I put the key in the on position and cools right back off once I turn the key off

The Purple gets hott as soon as I pull out the lights for running lights only and gets cold as soon as I turn it off. It got hott enough it actually started melting the fuse box

Light Blue well it doesn't get hot any more that I can tell I upgraded it to a Blade fuse and well it doesn't feel hott.

Red wire can't remember what it went to but well now it gets hott and cools off once I turn off what ever it went to

All I did was installed a inline fuse didn't touch any other wires and now all these others fuses seem to get hot and hot as in burned the #OOPS# out of my finger touching them. I did notice that the BIG white wire coming off the fuse block got warm now aswell Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what the big white wire is I'm thinking it's a ground from the way it connects to the negative side of the fuses. So if it is a Ground could I just hack it off and run my own to the Chassis or where ever I want? I looked over the wiring diagram Ddgonzal gave me awhile ago and it seems my wires are different or I'm dumb and cant read the diagram.
Open in new window

Posted on: 2009/5/15 11:02

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.