Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

#1 4 speed auto L4N71B full hydraulic transmission
D Posted on: 2009/4/16 0:44
Just been looking up the Jatco boxes for all cars
and found that this model L4N71B is not electronically
controlled compared to the RL4R01A 4 speed automatic.

Quote:
What is the conversion for, and extra gear (overdrive) or for serious track (drag) work??

I'm using an L4n71B behind my L28 with great success. On the highway, it substancially drops the revs down with an 0.686:1 O/D ratio.
Compared to the L3n71B, 1st and 2nd gears are a little lower for more torque. For me in my heavy street car, this is a bonus.

In Australia, VL Commodore Turbos (a GM/H car) used the RB30ET Nissan engine. The L4n71B boxes in those could handle extreme power ups with suitable modifications. I consider these Jatco's to be pretty tough. Something to consider perhaps.

Cheers.

tranbrake kit from bayswater
http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=8295

Quote:
Quote:
What was required to run the L4n71B box behind the L series? direct bolt up, adapter plate needed, etc
The L4n71B ia s hydraulically operated trans. The E4n71B is a later version that is controlled by a dedicated ECU.

I personally like the idea of running a purely hydraulic trans because of its simplicity. For the street, I run an adjustable vacuum modulator valve that lets me determine the shift points somewhat in relation to engine vacuum.

You might be able to source a US Nissan/Datsun L series that came with a 4 speed trans. In Oz, the R30 Skyline had the L24E engine and the last run of those in 1984-5 had the L4n71B. From then, when the R31 came to Oz, they had changed over to the RB series so the belhousing was changed and the trans was upgraded(?) to electronic control. Also, as mentioned, these transmissions came in GM VL Commodores.
If you can find one for the L series, get the flexplate as it is different to the one for the 3n71b. The other changes include building a new crossmember to suit the different style of mounting. Not really hard to adapt if you can weld, so grab the crossmember if you can. The output shaft is larger so you'll need the first part of the tailshaft (prop shaft) to have it adapted to yours. (I had to do all of this to make it fit into my machine!! Not particularly cheap, but I'm very happy with my conversion.)

#2 Re: 4 speed auto L4N71B full hydraulic transmission
ddgonzal Posted on: 2009/4/16 3:33
electronic control was uncommon until the late 80s. Not sure what they mean by "full hydraulic" since even the stock 3N71B used mechanical (kickdown lever) and vacuum control (the modulator) as well as hydraulics.

L4N71B Swap

I would expect it to get better highway fuel economy than a stock 4-speed 1200, since it has overdrive.

#3 Re: 4 speed auto L4N71B full hydraulic transmission
D Posted on: 2009/4/17 0:06
the link to the pic is not working, would like to see the difference in the 2
I heard they are quite substantial.

#4 Re: 4 speed auto L4N71B full hydraulic transmission
ddgonzal Posted on: 2009/4/20 1:16
3-speed
Open in new window

4-speed
Open in new window

US Models
* Nissan Maxima 1983
* Nissan Pathfinder 1986-1989
* Nissan Van 1987-1989 (the 'rare as' USA Vanette)
* Mazda 929 1988-1990
* Mazda B2000/B2600 1987-1991
* Mazda Miata 1991-up
* Mazda RX7 1984-1988

#5 Re: 4 speed auto L4N71B full hydraulic transmission
ddgonzal Posted on: 2009/4/20 2:41
JATCO 4N71B series:
* LN471B: Light duty
* EN471B: Medium duty
The electronically controlled one is the RN4-something.

The 4-speed has an extra gear seat between the bell and housing
But it has a very short tail housing so overall length appears to be the same. But the rear mount location is farther back.
Open in new window

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]