Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Datsun 1200 GX Coupe imported from South Africa, rear axle oil seals leak
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Dear All

I have a Datsun 1200 GX Coupe (1975 model) imported from South Africa, I live in Queensland, Australia. My mechanic says (during her most recent service) that both the oil seals on the rear axle leaks the diff oil onto the rear brake shoes. I replaced the rear brake shoes 2 years ago, it was a big deal to source the parts as her brake shoes are very different from the Datsun 1200 sold here in Australia.

Now I wonder about the rear axle, and the oil seals. Are they also gonna be different and difficult to obtain here in Australia? Or is the diff and rear axle the same as the Datsun 1200 sold in Australia?

One of my friends says it was some local content story in 1975 that caused them to put different brake shoes on her in SA.

any advice and insights appreciated.

regards

JC

Posted on: 7/13 4:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Datsun 1200 GX Coupe imported from South Africa, rear axle oil seals leak
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
ZA B110s used Borg Warner rear axle assemblies (local content). It is the BW60 or maybe BW68, same as Australia-built sedans

Open in new window

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the brake shoes differ, maybe Girling international vs PBR Australia

You could simply swap a Aussie spare coupe axle assembly under the car (one that doesn't leak and has common brake shoes). Sedan and Coupe axle assemblies differ. When swapping, also get the matching tailshaft. Coupes outside of ZA use the japan-built axles

Posted on: 7/30 22:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]