Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: CA18DET
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
the ca18det box is longer meaning that you have to cut a new opening for your gearstick further toward the back of the car, i dont like the idea of it being so close, but you could use it

yes that gayzelle

and phunkdoc can you stop that crap it was kinda funny at the start but here you dont even bother to answer the blindingly obvious question asked about a-series box, cause your so damn hungry for posts, thats pretty shiety man

Posted on: 2002/11/7 12:48
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Yes,

I had to move the stick backwards. It hurt a bit to cut into the metal. But with an up/down gearstick config (no bend in the stick), It fits comfortably. I normally have my driver's seat quite a way back, And with the shorter stumpy Skyline gearbox, I had to have a long shifter bent backwards, for it to be comfortable.
The Silvia Gearbox, with a short throw kit (homemade from stainless), feels comfortable with my seat in it's normal position. I had to move the handbrake about 20cms backwards. This is NOT an option on B120/B140 Utes.

The gazelle gearbox would be VERY close to coming up in the hole. I'm fairly certain that it would be a good fit for all CA18/1200 conversions. At worst you might need to elongate the hole 2-5cms backwards.

Chris

Posted on: 2002/11/7 12:57

Group:
Registered Users
im still umming and ahhing about whether to do a wagon or coupe ca18det conversion when i get a real job, plan is to have bodykit, stereo ect. ect.. main attraction to wagon is that you can fit stuff in the back (parts chaser for rallycar) but coupe looks good

another problem id like a 2dr wagon but dont know if you can get them in Aus and would probably have to get one from NZ

what do the shocks do in a wagon, as in on a sedan they are straight up and down, on a coupe they are angled but the wagon??? (just to settle a handeling argument ive been having with my brother, cause he reckons the wagon wont handle as good)

oh and another factor is that a wagon (specially 2dr) with a CA18DET has some originallity to it as there is quite a few CA18 coupes in Aus but wagons are rare in Aus and i reckon with some flares and spoilers in would really be one of a kind

what do you guys reckon, interested in a CA wagon conversion or is a coupe heaps better???

Posted on: 2002/11/7 13:22

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I've only seen that photo of a 2 door wagon, once. If you can find one of that or a 4 door, then go for it.

It needs to be in the best condition to start with, and unless you are a panel beater and spray painter by trade, don't bother with a bare metal restore..It'll kill you, like it's killing me. I think that anyone who finishes a complete bare metal rebuild has either some serious patience, or endless bank account.

Mine will get finished, I might need to take time off work. The hour or 2 I have spare (at home) gives me not enough time to do mine. I need to eat sometime. But with summer and Daylight Savings here, I should manage a couple of extra free hours.

Chris

Posted on: 2002/11/7 13:34

Group:
Registered Users
*bump*

c'mon guys i want a few diffrent opinons on coupe versus wagon street machine, please tell me what your thinking

Posted on: 2002/11/8 14:16

Group:
Registered Users
Mate do you really got any doubt as to what I like ? and which one I think you should do?

Of course do the bloody wagon!

Posted on: 2002/11/8 14:25

Home away from home
From Perth, West Aussie
Group:
Registered Users
yea dattodude
you are not wrong there!
even when you have 1 agreeable mate to help you out things go 3 times as fast. just little things like having someone to hold a spanner on a bolt from the underneath the dash while you tighten it on the firewall side.
and one of you can hit the body while another is doing the mechanical side of things. sadly not many 'mates' stay mates when asked to assist in such operations..
well apart from when the Virgin Blood is flowing , mind you ;)

Quote:

dattodude wrote:
I've only seen that photo of a 2 door wagon, once. If you can find one of that or a 4 door, then go for it.

It needs to be in the best condition to start with, and unless you are a panel beater and spray painter by trade, don't bother with a bare metal restore..It'll kill you, like it's killing me. I think that anyone who finishes a complete bare metal rebuild has either some serious patience, or endless bank account.

Mine will get finished, I might need to take time off work. The hour or 2 I have spare (at home) gives me not enough time to do mine. I need to eat sometime. But with summer and Daylight Savings here, I should manage a couple of extra free hours.

Chris

Posted on: 2002/11/8 15:21

Home away from home
From LISBOA, PORTUGAL
Group:
Registered Users
Hello

I am still figuring it out if it is possible to make a street legal B310 with a larger engine (CA18DET, SR20DET, the S2000 engine, etc.) around here. The 200SX (silvia) are now showing up in the junkyard and so i was asking it, since i plan to use the complete setup (engine, ECU, gearbox).

I want to keep the engine stock, since I think that 180, 200 or 240 HP are more than enough for daily usage. In face of this, will the stock gearbox be a bad choice?

One more question:

I remember that some Nissan were sold over here with the NATS system. That will not mess up with the ECU? Maybe best thing to do is to get all the car cables and even the ignition key.

What do you think? Maybe I am just messing with something simple.

Thanks

Ricardo

Posted on: 2002/11/8 19:16

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Go with the wagon! At a show, among a sea of coupes, the wagon will give people a refreshing change.

I always thought the Volvo "California Wagon" look was cool ... monochrome paint, lowered, tinted and no chrome.

Posted on: 2002/11/9 19:38

From Canberra, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I have always beena big fan of the coupes.
And my mum used to have a 1200 wagon. So I don't like them becaus eI always think of them as "mum's car"
SAme as with RX2's cos my mum had a Capella and I think they are "Mum's Car's" as well...

But anyway. If the wagon is straight then I would go for it. Could be hard to find parts though. Also you could fit more stuff in the back. (Who hasn't been p|ssed off with trying to fit something big through the tiny coupe boot, or having to fold the seats down and pass it through into the boot that way?) It would be different.
There is a nice looking wagon in the next suburb from us. I might take apicture of it sometime and put it up here...

Posted on: 2002/11/10 1:08

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.