Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Datsun 1200 coupe
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I owned a 1971 1200 coupe back in 1975 through 1983. I knew then it was a special car, but I did let it go when I got the itch for a Subaru DL. I'm now back in the market to
buy a 1200 coupe. Anyone wishing to sell please contact me at jgsambo@hotmail.com.

John

Posted on: 2000/7/19 9:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Datsun 1200 coupe
Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
johnpgl, I have a coupe . Where are you located? I am in Tennessee, USA. Leave me a message if that is not
too far away.

Posted on: 2000/7/22 7:57

Re: Datsun 1200 coupe
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
What kinda condition is this 1200 coupe in? Come with any goodies?

Posted on: 2000/7/22 9:37

Misfiring/dogging out
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, ever since summer started I've been having problems revving my A15 like it used to. I thought it was related to the SU carbs/tuning, but I have spent a few days straight trying
different tuning techniques/setting. I just put new spark plugs in also. Anyways, when I get on the gas and it revs up to about 5,500 rpm it starts bucking around, sounding like it's
misfiring, spitting and sputtering. I can hold the gas down and it might eventually get up to it's redline (7,200 rpm), but it sounds like it's going to blow up. I played with the timing w/
no luck. The valves were very recently adjusted as well. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Andy

Posted on: 2000/7/22 9:43

Re: Misfiring/dogging out
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Have you checked Manifold gaskets for leakage?? Might also be a fuel starvation problem check your fuel filter ect also maybe your
points??? in distributor

Posted on: 2000/7/23 4:14

Home away from home
From New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
hey, you need a bigger exhaust tip! nah, seriously, what is your set up? is the engine fairly standard? what have you done to it?
sweet, i hope i can help, but i need a bit more information.

have u checked your coil? think about how hard it is working at 6000rpm it has to prouduce 6000 accurate sparks for each cylinder, thats 24,000 times that coil has had to build up
a field and prouduce a spark each minute, so and faults will show up here.

also what grade of fuel are you using? it could just simply be a case of the fuel not being up to the task, over here in NZ they change the properties in the fuel at the change of
season, more light fractions at winter to ease cold start ect...

sweet! have a good one.
choice from chris.

Posted on: 2000/7/23 4:44

Just can't stay away
From Whetstone,Arizona
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Andy,
Here is a list of common things that can cause high RPM crap-out:
Water in the Gas,Too hot spark plug range,Broken advance springs in the Distributor( allowing over advance), Too rich a fuel mixture causing carbon build-up and boosting compression
and causing detonation,Weak valve springs (causing lower RPM valve bounce)and remember that pulling 7200 rpm alot will accelerate spring fatigue,improper lash
gap adjustment,vacuum leaks, headgasket leakage between cylinders. bad spark plug wires,coil bad,
crap in the carbs,fuel pump not keeping up with demand.
Well that should give a million things to check
but I would bet that it is somewhere in the timing system.
I just found out that I startet to drop an intake valve seat in cyl # 2. It moved out of place and then wedged back in place crooked causing a complete loss of compression, Thank the
Lord it didn't fall out or I would have lost the whole engine!!! Wheeew!! well back to the drawing board
and deeper into the wallet!
C-Ya Steve

Posted on: 2000/7/23 11:56

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Well my exhaust tip is 3.5", so no problems there

Anyways, my setup? A15, rebuilt, balanced, cylinder head has been rebuilt, I just checked the compression and it's excellent in all cylinders, 145-140 psi dry, 190-195 psi with oil. I'm
using an Accel Super Coil (50,000 volts), electronic ignition from an '82 210 with a fairly new cap and rotor, brand new spark plugs. I'm using 94 octane gas. Also I've got new intake/
exhaust gaskets, but I think I might try checking some of those gaskets out. I'm gonna try to get a rebuilt kit for the SU's and I'll put new gaskets on then. As it is, I'll just have to
deal with the way it runs. Well...any other ideas? My guess is it's related to 1. Carbs/intake 2. ignition it's gotta be something in there. Thanks for the help

Posted on: 2000/7/23 4:34

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Well I had the exact same problem (on a different car) recently and it started shooting some oil out the exhaust, it ended up being 1 single
spark plug lead.

Posted on: 2000/7/23 7:31

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Andy,

I recently had a really annoying problem similar
to yours. My A15 would be fine in low revs,
but take it up to 3-5,000 and it just lost power and started missing etc, finally comming to a stop.
I discovered (after replacing all the leads, distributor, coil, points) that air was getting in to the fuel where the fuel line connected
to the fuel filter.
I had shitty little fastners, so I got proper ones that screw tight.
After that no more problems!!!!!!

Justin

Posted on: 2000/7/24 2:23

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.