Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Locking a Diff
Quite a regular
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
hey datsik

yeah, you are right, brazing is much better because, like you said, it doesnt alter the metal properties.

i didnt have access to an oxy set, so migging was my only alternative (well, cheapest alternative). it will be interesting to see how the diff in my rally car holds up, because welding en36a gears to cast iron will always end up with cracking. but the few ive done, and the ones ive seen done like this have lasted well.

phunkdoktaspok, im not sure what you meant. are you saying that you can fill a 10mm (approx) gap (ie from cross shaft to side gear) with weld without plates? thats pretty good, i might have to get some welding tips off you, as ive never seen fresh air welded. and if youd weld a diff with the crownwheel and bearings on, thats good for you, but i personally wouldnt risk getting heat and weld spatter into them.

but like you said, its a backyard thing that people have been doing for ever. there are much better ways of locking a diff (spools) or semi locking (lsd's, detroits, etc), but for the money i reckon you cant beat it.

stu

Posted on: 2006/11/26 8:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Darwin NT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
but for the money i reckon you cant beat it

yes but doesnt locking a diff completly make it easier to snap axles? cause my mates locked the diffs in a couple of there bush bashers and now they are sitting because they snapped both axles so instead of replacing the axles every so often wouldnt be easier just to get a lsd?

Posted on: 2006/11/26 8:37

Just can't stay away
From Darwin
Group:
Registered Users
I have locked the diffs on a 1000 4 door, and a 200b auto wagon, my mate locked the diff on his bluebird as well! Neither of us broke an axle. Just made the whole "street rally" experience much better fun! Also the chirpies turning corners at low speed in servo's was bloody hilarious! Everyone had look - the funniest being the 200b wagon.
When I locked the diff in the thousand I could do circle work no effort at all - it only had an a12 with Webber and extractors, but would drive dukes of hazard style, I'd recommend it to any one.

Posted on: 2006/11/26 8:49

everyone is s

From Darwin NT
Group:
Registered Users
does the rear seem as if its bouncing when your doin burnouts on tar?

Posted on: 2006/11/26 8:52

Just can't stay away
From Darwin
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
does the rear seem as if its bouncing when your doin burnouts on tar?

Nah the thousand was pretty much seemless whilst the wheels were spinning. It was like driving on Slippery cement. The 200b wagon would have neve done a burnout........ I found they bounced a little whilst doing sharp slow turns with no wheel spin.

Posted on: 2006/11/26 8:58

everyone is s

Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stooey47 wrote:

phunkdoktaspok, im not sure what you meant. are you saying that you can fill a 10mm (approx) gap (ie from cross shaft to side gear) with weld without plates? thats pretty good, i might have to get some welding tips off you, as ive never seen fresh air welded.

stu

Brings the question " Dirty hands or paper cut Engineer?"
If you read, I wrote - weld the gears together.
4 interlocking gears that can be welded together on 2 side, with this giving 8 welding locations. 4 gears all of the same quality steel. Interlocking so there is no real gap to try and weld.
You are just locking the 4 gears togther so they dont spin.
Would i bother welding the side gears to the cross shaft? No. Could i weld the side gears to the cross shaft even with the 10mm gap? Yes quite easily. Its called wire speed. If you would like a demonstration i will be happy to show you. You supply the diff centre and i will supply the dirty hands.

Brazing a diff to lock it makes me laugh. Maybe Arildite the 4 gears together. Im sure someone is even thinking to use concrete in the centre and use tie wire to hold it all in.
Just remember adding objects to the centre will put it out of balance. If they arent evenly spaced like 8 simple welds. The out of balance vibrations will no doubt lead to bearing noise which will get blamed on the welding .
Its not a technical job.

Posted on: 2006/11/26 9:09

Just can't stay away
From Port Kennedy, Perth Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Heres what you need to do the"backyard" job properly;

an arc welder
a bucket of oil
309L stainless steel electrodes
and a wire wheel to fit your grinder.
step1. after removing the carrier dunk the whole thing in the bucket of oil- this will help protect the gears and bearings from weld spatter.
2. remove excess oil from the spider gear only with a rag and then buff the area to be welded with the wire wheel.
3.imediatly after chipping the slag from the weld , drop the centre into the bucket of oil and allow to cool.
4.repete untill you have 8 single fillet welds between the spider gears as mentioned above.

The use of s/s electrodes keeps the strength in the parent metal without altering the properties too much. Stainless steel is a lot more maluable than most other metals so it will give a lot more rather than cracking
Using oil to cool helps reinstall the original hardening to some extent but you need to get the hot metal into the oil as quickly as possible to have any effect. The use of Case hardening oil would be the better choice.
J.

Posted on: 2006/11/26 10:01

Quite a regular
From sydney
Group:
Registered Users
as was said before mate, its not rocket science dont worry bout metals weaking and all that science becasue that is not what locking diffs is all about.

all you got to do is disconnect brake lines, hang the axles a little bit dont even need to remove em, get the centre. and just weld the gears together

and have fun its simple

Posted on: 2006/11/26 12:49

Home away from home
From north brissy
Group:
Registered Users
if you want it too break within a week do it the way albion says but it you want it to last for ages like mine has (daily driven) do it like funkeyman has said.

ps. having a daily driver with a locked diff sucks after the first week

Posted on: 2006/11/27 11:25

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Ok unless you own a 250HP Rally Ute , plan on drag racing it or running some high speed ovals don't weld the diff.........save the pennies and get a proper LSD. Welded diffs have some undesireable side effects.........as one poster said it's really cool for about a week , after that it's awful.

Tom

Posted on: 2006/11/27 20:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.