Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 1977 Datsun 120Y Sedan Build
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
So picked up a donor car last night. Using it for the engine and manual gearbox and needed some panels off it.
Bought it home at about 10pm last night and had it stripped and scrapped the shell at lunch time today. The engine and box are currently sitting in the engine bay and the wiring is all sorted, just need to bolt the coil ect on the engine bay and swap tail shafts and bolt the gearbox x-member on, then she should be ready to start!

I do however want to hide as much wiring as I can before I do this, and want to paint the engine as its looking a bit rough. The guy I got it from said it had been rebuilt when he bought it a few years ago but sat most the time only getting started from time to time. But I can say it started and ran fantastic, no need for a choke or anything. Ill give it a good service and all new fluid as well.

Heres some photos of the work from today-
Donor car before I picked it up-

Open in new window

Open in new window

And my car as it sits right now-

Open in new window

Open in new window

Few of the spare parts from the donor car-
Open in new window

Hoping to get it all up and running Monday as I work all weekend.
Will be good to see the driving again, its been a while since she was running.

Should go a lot better to being manual now!

Posted on: 2013/5/3 13:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Managed to get a bit done today on the Datto before I head to work this arvo.
Got the engine and gearbox fully cleaned and laid some fresh paint on them.
Took so long to clean the 35 years of crap off them but look 110% better now.
Also got all new bolts, washers and nuts for re-assembly and ordered my new gaskets.
Was hoping to get the last of the vinyl dying done and get the manual pedal box in but just ran out of time.

Hopefully will get the manual pedals in and the interior all finished on Sunday (would love to get the engine back in but still need to chose my colour and re-spray the engine bay)
Then it will be back into the body work and deciding what im going to do with these flares. Found some smaller (4 door Hakosuka) flares on Yahoo Japan as well as some "universal" ones that look like they might be better as they aren't as massive as the ta22 flares.
Might get a set and a hakosuka chin lip added with the next lot of wheels I bring in. Will see what the bank account says first though haha

Anyways here some photos from today-

Before-

Open in new window

After-
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Anyone got trick to get the alternator clean?
Ive used brake cleaner and a rag but it just get the dirt off and it look so out of place against the freshly painted engine.
Anyone painted the housing before? Ive got a few spare ones here so guess there no harm in painted on.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 6:36

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From MOOROODUC. Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
Wow It's all BLUE!

What colour will the engine bay be?

Posted on: 2013/6/6 8:32
Green Sedan #2 (Current build: DEMAC's 1200 Sedan)
Brown 4 door AUTO Sedan for sale...

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Haha yeah very blue hey!
Looks a hell of a lot tidier though. Might spray one of the spare rocker rockers black or something to break it up a little.

Atm the engine bay is blue metal flake over black.
(never sprayed flake before and wanted to give it a go so thought id do the engine bay)
It looks cool under a light but in normal day light or when its dark looks pretty average)
But its going to be colour matched to the car which im still deciding on haha
tossing up between charcoal/dark gun metal, a lighter-medium grey or a teal green.
In my opinion a colour matched engine bay makes it look more "professional" like time was actually put into doing all the little things, didnt skip on anything if you get what I mean.
The teal may clash with the engine though.
hoping to decide on a colour soon so I can paint the engine bay and get the car running again, its been sitting not running for far too long so im really excited to get her going again.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 14:47

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Spent the morning on the Datto today.
Got the manual pedal box in and the engine bay sanded back and primed.
Half finished the flaring on the other front guard as well.

Tomorrow im going to finish cleaning the interior and vinyl dye the last few things.

Hoping to get the colour mixed this week, thinking of going with the teal green. Then During the week I can paint the engine bay, door jams and under the boot ect and drop the engine back in and get her running again.
The engine and tail shaft are all cleaned up and painted ready to go just waiting for the engine bay to be painted.

Does anyone know if the manual gearbox X-member bolts onto an Auto car? I think ive read that new holes need to be drilled? Not sure if thats right or not. Doesnt really matter just thought id ask here as I cbf going to look atm.

Also, I noticed there isnt much info/photos on doing things to 120Y's. So I took enough photos to make a write up for changing the pedal box, and will get some for the whole manual conversion. Not the hardest thing to do but a write up might help a few other people in the future. So after ive finished the conversion ill make a how to guide up and post it on here for others in the future.

Few pics from today-
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2013/6/22 5:52

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Had the paint mixed up today, and sprayed the engine bay, door jams and under the boot ect.
Pretty happy with the colour, just very hard to get a photo that shows what it actually looks like, comes out more blue in the photos then it is.

Still need to do the underside of the boot, bonnet, fuel flap ect and clear coat it all. Should be done and running Monday.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Love how its looks against the black interior.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Its more green then it looks in the photos.

After Monday I should have the engine in and running, and the undersides of the bonnet, boot, fuel flap ect all finished off, then its just the body left to paint.
The new carpet should be here soon, so can put that in and put all the interior back in. Need to go get some speakers and a cd player for it, has nothing in it at the moment haha

Still a few other small things left to do but Its finally looking close to being finished!
left to do-

-Carpet
-Replace boot and door rubbers
-New interior light as the original one is the ugliest thing ever
-Cd player and speakers
-Clean up the exterior parts (lights, bumpers ect) Thinking of doing black bumpers as it will go better with the green then chrome will, Have two sets so might paint the set in the worst condition to see how it looks.
-Might so something better with the front suspension, maybe some low king springs and short stoke shocks or maybe a coilover conversion if I can do it cheap enough.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, no doubt more that ive missed but theyre the main things. So not too much left to do.

Should have more to update on Monday, hopefully with a video of her finally running again!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 13:27

Home away from home
From Quairading, Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
manual cross member does *NOT* fit in a auto shell...

but auto shells have a LOT more heavy duty mounting points

when we converted the original Defect from 3N71B to 60L 4 speed, we used the auto cross member with the auto mount swapped around 180 degrees, and cut off the ends where the member bolted up to the body and replaced it with steel plate...

did notice that when reshelling the 60L into The Defect III, the ends we welded on needed trimming, as The Defect was a March '77 and TD3 is a July '74... seats were a nightmare as the inner tracks sit about 1.5" higher where on the earlier car they are level...

Posted on: 2015/4/29 13:41

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]