Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Twin hitachi side draught carby price??
Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys just wondering what I'd be looking at price wise for A set of original Datsun A12 series SU-Type Hitachi Carburettors complete with manifold, heat shield, airfilter housing, air filter? Any advice would be appreciated cheers...

Posted on: 2013/12/3 11:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Twin hitachi side draught carby price??
Guest_
Depends on condition. Hardest part to find is the linkage and the choke cable. Seen em go for $100 to $500

Posted on: 2013/12/3 11:41

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Cheers unfamilia for the info, I just purchased my first datsun and am just trying to find out what I need for it and what works. I'm getting a lot of info from this forum but some times I may need to annoy all u blokes that have the knowledge with these old girls.
Cheers Corey

Posted on: 2013/12/3 13:08

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
I think they are worth 250 second hand and would never sell them for more regardless of what people want for them, rebuilding and tuning adds more to that price but in the end bike carbs rule for a budget setup if you can get a bike mech to tune them.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 13:09

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks D I'll keep that on my plate as well... After pricing all the bells and whistles I want for the A12 it seems its going to be cheaper and better for me in the long run to put an A14/15 in it. But I do like the idea of keeping it standard if I do go down that road I'd keep the a12 in the shed to put back in it when I've got it out of my system.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 13:47

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely, definitely, your best bang-for-buck is keeping an eye out for a larger A-series engine. Info varies depending on which site you get it from, but for example changing from an A12 to an A15 is around a 30% power increase! You will never get that from an A12 without 'investing' a massive sum of money.

Once you have the bigger engine, you can then look at options like carbs, turbos, whatever you like - and any gains you get there will also be larger than gains you would have gotten by modifying the A12.

Next step in my opinion is to look at an L-series conversion - more complicated than an A-series swap of course, but the results are a whole new level. A12 to L16 is a 55% power increase and L20B is 61%... again all of these figures are before modifications... so you have a nice, happy, unstressed engine that is great to drive and pretty good on fuel compared to something with a big cam and twin carbs.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 14:31

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
A12 69hp
A14 80hp
80/69 = 1.16 (116%, a 16% increase)

A12 1178cc
A14 1397cc
1397/1178 = 1.19

It will cost around $1000 using 2nd-hand parts to make 80 HP from an A12. Change the head, camshaft, manifolds, carbs, distributor, and pistons will do it.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:15

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
That's a hard one to answer, but the price typically relates directly to condition.

These were the latest for sale on here I think, and quite a good price, minus the manifold, air filter housing etc.

Twin SU type Hitachi's

I've paid $500 for good condition SU type twins and manifold. Without the air filter housing which are hard to find in good condition.

I vote to work the A12, get some experience on how it all goes together. Then upgrade to an A14 or A15 once the cash is back up and transfer the goodies onto the bigger A14 or A15.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 19:00

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Checked my maths and I used 62hp (A10), either way the logic is still the same & you are far better off with a completely standard engine that already makes more power and has better torque characteristics.

As for $1000, I can't see your average punter getting all of those parts plus the engine work donefor anywhere near that. II'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying that there's a grand in machining etc and other parts that need to be replaced while its apart.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 19:28

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone for the input, I've been having a bit of a look this morning and I'd like to go to the a15 but my a12 is round port so what time and money I spend setting up the induction for the 12 would have to be done again with the 15 and would need different manifold set up as well... I hope the minister of finance doesn't check the bank in the next month then or she might think she's getting a lot of presents hahaha not to mention if the a15 some how falls into my lil ute... But really thanks for everyone's points, as I said b4 I'm just starting my datsun journey but I'm already surprised at how many enthusiasts are keen to help the beginners out with nit only knowledge but parts as well it's a real plus for everyone involved.
Cheers Corey

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:53

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.