Open in new window

Posted on: 2014/12/1 10:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Turbo placement?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
There's going to be alot more time and money spent making those "already set up" bike carbs work in a blow thru turbo configuration. You'd save time and money using a more simple carb setup.

And you'll be compromising the main thing that's going to make power just so you can keep the bike carbs. So will the 'hot NA cam' for that matter, if it's genuinely hot and not just a mild grind.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 22:00

Just can't stay away
From socal, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Carbs are already turbo ready all I have to do is rejet, plug float vent tubes, and use boost fuel pressure regulator.

If I change to a more conventional setup I would have to change pistons, cam, carb, intake manifold, turbo manifold, new intercooler. That's a lot more work then just a big J pipe around the tranny. I could be wrong though.

I'm just working with what I have and that's a NA engine with a low compression ratio. About 9/1'i think maybe less Cam card says I require 10.5/1 at least. So I planed the turbo to have low boost in the mid rev range and high boost at 5k+. It might not be the best build but I'll be happy if I can just drive it up a hill with a 60% slope not being at 6k+.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 6:42

Guest_
Turbo won't fix a poorly tuned set up. get a cam to suit and you would be happy enough.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 7:53

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think your setup will give you the torque to climb steep hills that you want. With the turbo so far away it will spool later. The hot NA cam will also cause later boost threshold as inlet charge gets blown out the exhaust wasting some of the work the turbo is doing and cooling the exhaust charge further hindering turbo response. It should all start to work at higher rpm where there is less time for this to happen and you've got alot more exhaust velocity to make it all the way to the turbo. I'm not sure your setup will give you any sort of grunt to climb hills without dropping down the gears. To give yourelf the best chance, you'd need to make the 'J' pipe a small diameter to keep the velocity up, but that will hurt the top end power...

But it will be interesting to see how it ends up working for you. Good luck

Posted on: 2014/12/2 9:37

Just can't stay away
From Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think have the turbo on the right side of the engine with the long feed pipe will be as lag inducing as some people expect.

Consider some Porsche 4 cylinders and Subaru both have the turbo a long way from the exhaust ports without being lag monsters.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 13:27

Stanza rally car mostly ex works = FIA head, 50mm Mikunis, option one, works diff, 4 pot FIA calipers and vented disc all round, enkies, h...

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Subaru and Porsche flat engines mount the turbo right next to one bank of exhaust ports.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 21:36

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Just do it and see what happens everyone has an opinion ,10 cents worth, and that fair enough you asked for it.....
but until you give it a crack you won't know , many large grinds work well with a turbo but there is always a trade off, #OOPS# people said my compounds wouldn't work "they did" , see what happens you have nothing to lose :)

Posted on: 2014/12/2 23:12

Just can't stay away
From Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
L18_B110.

Please note;

The Porsche model that I was refering to is a front engined in line 4 cylinder; it is a 968 to be specific.

Also being very familiar with turbo Subarus they all have the standard turbo location as high on the right hand side of the engine behind the right bank cylinder head.

This is the standard turbo location with the exception of turbo Diesels and the late turbo Liberties.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 0:32

Stanza rally car mostly ex works = FIA head, 50mm Mikunis, option one, works diff, 4 pot FIA calipers and vented disc all round, enkies, h...

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]