Thanks, I'll be in touch!

Posted on: 2015/6/13 14:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CHEAP A-SERIES SUPERCHARGER KIT
Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I have been away for a little while and just cam across this thread....

Have you honestly done the calculations on these superchargers .?

The displacement and inefficiency's of the Amr 500 work against it on the A12,they require over 3hp to drive at the 6000 rpm ,Have you considered those forces will be working on your shear pin and also the pitch of the thread ,one backfire will sort that out quick smart at least a serpentine belt will allow some slip

At a ratio of 2:1 the Amr is spinning at 12,000 rpm ,at that rpm depending on the fuel you use You are on the cuff of flow Vs heat....making them work harder will cause the coating to fail on the rotor's and spinning them hard will lead to them exploding past there designed max rpm.

Then consider this they are a positive displacement supercharger like Turbo's they can be pushed Harder ,but it doesn't mean the gains are there to be had as heat will force reduced timing to avoid detonation to the point were output is lower than using lower levels of boost, Amr500 will produce higher intake temps than a Turbo at the same given boost level that's why they have efficiency maps !

At a ratio of 2:1 the Amr 500 displaces 1 ltr which is .035 CFM , so at .035x6,000 rpm the charger displaces 210 Cfm at motors peak rpm range ,A12 requires 123 Cfm (max) at 6,000 rpm that's just 87 cfm @6000 rpm above whats needed Na, 14.5 Cfm per 1000 rpm that has the potential to add 21.75hp to the out put over stock, a more efficient head like h89 will drop that figure considerably meaning the real life gains will change as you reach peak port choke velocity and other mechanical losses of different heads and inlets.

Assuming 7psi is used on 9:0 .1 compression that will give a dynamic compression of 10.93:1 that's around 4% gain... 4% nearly 3hp (2.70) at 6,000 rpm would be drained by the hp to turn the amr at it's ratio.....

The A series motor will never be the restriction in these setups and will handle any boost these chargers can throw at them but not the superheated air associated with it or there small displacement

Same can be done with sc12 or sc14 on A12 where there displacement has a more positive effect to hp

Cheers Anthony

Posted on: 2015/6/16 7:30

Edited by anths on 2015/6/16 8:02:47

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Amr500 will give usable horsepower on a standard motor at a cheap price. You can spend a heap on headwork/cams/carbs...etc and end up with less usable power gains than the amr500.

Using larger blowers is fine for higher boost levels but if you just need a little extra kick amr500 blowers at $180each are the ticket and with over 100 units available at this price they are a diy dream.

Good luck finding a good supply of sc12/14 blowers at a low price.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 8:52

Edited by supercharger on 2015/6/16 9:09:45

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
"Amr500 will give usable horsepower on a standard motor at a cheap price" ok

So will a j pipe turbo set up and probably for less than your kit which is $ ?

"Using larger blowers is fine for higher boost levels"

Boost is a measurement of restriction not the capacity of mechanical means producing it, small inlets ports, inlet valves can produce high boost I would expect this out of a std engine,does not mean fantastic Hp potential.

I would like you to educate prospective buyers, The "cheap kit" your flogging how much is the finished product for the diy to install ,and what are there Hp gains v $, I don't understand how someone can sell something that's in development stage that has proved nothing except a claim it's cheap !

personally I wouldn't bother purchasing a sc12 or 14 as Eaton and other positive screw superchargers can be had making far more Hp at any given boost / cfm level......but I do have one and a AMR500. I have never found anything to do with cars cheap and I'm struggling to have faith, when you surround every post with statements that are so vague with no commitment to fact or real life experience as such .....please prove me wrong with your own personal R&D and not Google Facts as to why the supercharger will give you 7psi and how you came to that figure.
I would love to see members getting what they want ,I encourage all to clarify and proven my statements wrong as I would like to see more blown A series cruise the street's and not blown motors from pulleys over speeding factory spec's amr500.

Nothing wrong with healthy discussion :)

Cheers

Posted on: 2015/6/16 12:41

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
I think you are missing the point. This is not for someone looking for max hp. This is for guys (like me) who can bolt one of these on and get a little extra performance for not much cash. Sure I could buy a h89 head (for up to $800 if you believe the ads on here), spend a bit getting it machined, buy a VRS kit and bolt it on, get an old weber and a adaptor plate, get the weber overhauled because it has been sitting on the shelf for 5 years then get the whole lot tuned.
I bought one because I want a little extra poke and I dont want to spend the earth. Mine would be lucky if it has ever been past 4500rpm let alone 6000. Im not looking for something I can bolt on and take on hsv's at the lights, just let me keep up with a camry and make the grin a little bigger on a sunday morning through the twisty bits.
Yep, there are better options out there, absolutely, and there is no doubt this is not the ideal solution for all, however it is what it is and that suits me fine. I dont want big hp at big rpm.
Lastly, CFM is cubic feet per minute, cubic feet is what you want to measure.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 13:16

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Using a blower is the cheapest way of getting a little added useable horsepower, even a cheap turbo kit would be at least double the price of a homemade blower setup.

Turbo, with all the extra work required,
Blow through
at least a j pipe/carby hat/carby mods/fuel pressure regulator/decent fuel pump/fuel return line/oil line/oil drain/exhaust system. Finding a good used turbo is another problem, buy a new chinese turbo around $300.

A diy'er with reasonable mechanical skills could make a basic amr500 setup for under $300 (includes the blower price)

Posted on: 2015/6/16 15:15

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
there are plenty of 998cc to 1.7L engines using the AMR500
with great success and good hp. There are minis with 998cc
and 1100cc versions producing 100hp atw and sound very good.

I think this is a good project for those wanting some good
performance on the cheap and a little diy

Posted on: 2015/6/16 15:39

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yep, there are better options out there, absolutely, and there is no doubt this is not the ideal solution for all, however it is what it is and that suits me fine. I dont want big hp at big rpm.

I agree with you JD 100% you won't chase big Hp in part that was my point and if the consensus can see that good,increase in torque "yes" I know they will work to a point I had a Amr500 installed on A12 engine in my wifes car.

I have Always used CFM when calculating required flow of an engine for carbys as it's a multiple of capacity times RPM ,and when displacement is calculated for superchargers I change from CC's to cfm simple maths !

if the kit is capped at $300 Brilliant ! :)

If everyone that buy's the pulleys are aware that constantly pushing them past there design rpm will lead to failure of the coating and supercharger .."yes" do it......

enough said ;)

cheers Anthony

Posted on: 2015/6/17 0:48

Edited by anths on 2015/6/17 2:29:50
Edited by anths on 2015/6/17 2:36:52

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I built a good turbo setup for under 1k and that was including buying a new manifold, a good known t25 and a 1.3/4 Su nos from UK off a jag.
I also had a sc14 setup on my a12 and lifted the head because of the constant heat from over spinning the charger.
Still good fun
Can't comment on the amr500 but

Posted on: 2015/6/17 11:05

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
I know of a suzuki sierra with a 1.3L gti engine with almost 100kw atw with an AMR500 and its being running to 6500rpm without any issues with no wear of the flurine coating or other wear. He keeps his inlet filter clean and oil change as it needs it.

This is a good effort for even $500 and no one else is doing it so props to John who is trying to make it happen for those interested.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 14:21

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]