Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 »

Re: racetech's 1200 SR20VE Project
Home away from home
From Cape Town, South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
[quote="benny"]Has it been determined that moving the loading on the stub axles further away from the base of the stub axle, via the use of the custom hub assemblies has contributed to the stub axle failure? i.e. more leverage applied to the stub axle.

Would be interesting to know the analysis of the axle failure. Look at the failure under a microscope to determine if it started as a hair line crack that grew until finally snapping etc. Would be worth checking out the other strut for signs of metal fatigue and cracks.

Our final conlusion is that the spacers were at fualt, I had a metallurgists look at it and he came up with this:
Open in new window

Posted on: 2015/2/10 8:56

Don't find a problem, find a solution!!!!
www.race-tech.co.za
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
April 2015 – Front Suspension V3 Complete

A few things happened during the final design and manufacture of the front suspension components, besides the previously mentioned, a mad rush to get the side glass replaced with polycarbonate units, steering completed and a bunch of small items taking ages.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Steering
The main idea around the steering were to keep things simple and that was done to the end, only a 13mm spanner is needed to assemble and dissemble the new components. Luckily only 1 new bracket had to be welded to the cage to facilitate the new changes, the rest consisted of a few bend sheet metal parts and a flange bearing.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Polycarbonate Side Windows
Dust problems, yes you could have guessed it, we have it, the primary reason for changing from glass to polycarbonate plastic were to install some much needed vents, the idea around them is to create a higher pressure inside the cab than outside, this way keeping dust out. At a earlier stage the vents, also polycarbonate units were sourced from the UK at a company called ACW Motorsport Plastics http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/, great bunch of lads to work with. For those that use mainstream vehicles, changes are good they have kits for your car or will be able to make a set, unfortunately for me, I had to use all my CAD(Cardboard Aided Design) skills. As with the majority of work done, everything was designed and build in-house, even the machining of the slides, as a lot of keyboard ninjas reckon you need very special equipment to work on plastics, it turned out a jigsaw with a wooden blade and a 10mm end mill is very special. At the end of the day, the windows turned out looking very good, just hope they will help with the dust, otherwise I will have to give in and mount some sort of roof intake.

Open in new window

Hubs
Who would have ever thought drilling a few holes would remove 250g of weight, before the holes the units weighted 3kg each, now boosting a slimmed down weight of 2.75kg each. Drilling the holes was quite nerve reckon, considering all the time and money already invested, luckily everything worked out as planned and they are done.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Uprights
This was another beast altogether, seeing that the CNC bug bit with the spindles I search high and low for a company to create the uprights at an affordable price, at the end I had to settle for a few dozen drawings with different measurements, a few sharpened end mills and some serious hours in front of the manual milling machine. Even the fiancée tablet went from house gadget to milling machine DRO. Just looking at the raw material was quite intimidating for a while. For those that have worked with a mill previously, would be able to understand the amount of man hours that went into these, but at the end of the day, I'm glad I did them myself, now I know I can make a set between event, hell I'll be able to make a set in two weeks without rushing it. For those with a sharp eye, you will be able to see a mistake I made, just to prove I'm human.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Lower Control Arms
I'm pretty sure the set of pictures will be able to explain these a lot better than I'll ever be, but let me take a stab at it.
All started with a piece of tube and a few lasered metal pieces with a lot of small holes, these holes had two tasks, the first to allow me to align items on top of others and secondly as the basis for all the stitch welds. These were designed in such a way that they can be used on the left or right side of the car. The tube forms the basis, with a threaded bush on the one side and a spherical bearing retainer on the other, in that configuration it would be strong enough for any normal road usage, then all the ribs and internal strengthening parts were added and then covered with sheet metal just to keep them all in place.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Steering Arms
One of the only items on the new suspension that is orientation specific, bend a left unit and you will have to have a left unit in the parts bin. I'm very glad that my brother managed to design them entirely on real CAD, which making more or changing a few geometry specific settings quiet easy, a matter sending a file to the laser cutting company, wait for the parts, weld them together and off you go, brilliant.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Brakes
Seeing that I made the calliper mounting brackets a few days earlier, mounting the callipers was a breeze, I think it took the longest to tap the tread for the bolts securing the callipers. Almost hoped the picture showing the pads would not make it to the internet, seeing that we are a privately funded team, we just had to use the old damaged pads again, they will age good with time.

Finished Product
All in all, the new suspension took more or less a year to develop and build, more than I actually wanted it to take, but sometimes live happens and something must be placed on hold, a crap load of man hours were spend on each and every component, these 3 pictures combines all these hours:

Left- all the hand made parts, Middle-complete front suspension in parts, Right - assembled

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

The only thing left to do is setting the car up with the new suspension and enter a rally, hopefully the suspension will survive.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 14:43

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
From Creswell, Oregon USA
Group:
Registered Users
Amazing build. Thanks for sharing.

I would like to build a coupe rally car for some events here in Oregon some day.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 15:39

Instagram @MD_Machine
Parler @MDMachine

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
brain cell blowing work! thanks for the pics!

Posted on: 2015/7/23 1:08

Guest_
Your mistake? One arm longer then the other? I can't pic much else (4 link would have diff length arms) but I'm not in the know either.

You must be a cyborg, human outside machine inside.
Ask about that gear box bushing here maybe?

Posted on: 2015/7/23 1:47

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
May 2015 - Ceres Rally & RPT Sprint

Ceres Rally, it seems that this event became my nemesis, always causing me some sort of issue, last year we broke the stub axle, well this year it did go a slight bit better, but if things go as it is currently, it will take us a few years to finish all stages on this event, all I know is that this is most definitely no rally to mess about.

Open in new window

The weeks leading up to this event were crazy, with spending more time awake in the night hours than day due to some work that could only be done between 11pm and 6am, this alone really throws one of your normal routine. That was followed with a little break from work and rally with the only worries being the apes and cold of the Cederberge in autumn, hell the one morning we got on our bikes at 7pm without realising it was -1.2C outside, no wonder it took me about 45min of cycling thru the mountains before the tingling feeling in my toes disappeared, they must have been frozen, mental note, do not get out of the tent and walk in your slops without socks as you would do at home, stuff sticking out will freeze. Cederberge, for those that is not accustomed to it, make a plan, it is a magical spot, for MTB, hikes and beauty.

Open in new window

Luckily the week before the Ceres Rally I was on holiday, but seeing that there were still so much to do, to get the last done for the Ceres event, the stress levels were at an all-time high. Poly windows had to be fitted, new front suspension had to be assembled, fitted and tested, steering rack fitted after a complete rebuild, final prep and a dozen other small issues.

Open in new window

The funniest thing regarding this whole saga were probably the power steering rack, well at the time it really was not funny, more like heart breaking, seeing that it could have ended the idea of starting the rally. The rack went in for a complete rebuild, once it came back, I had to build new mountings seeing that I had to cut the old ones off, never ever use counter sink Allen caps on a rally car or any other part you want to remove again, especially if it will operate in water, mud and dust. Needles to say the rack were installed, the new steering quickener fitted. Placed the car on its new rubber, started it up, turned the wheel left, and the wheels move on its own to the right, same goes for steering right, wheels will move on its own to the left. After some furious swearing, my brother suggested turning the pipes around, easier said than done, about two hours later, the rack were back in its location and all working.

Open in new window

Polycarbonate aka Lexan windows were finished at about 9pm the night before the rally, the steering quickener were removed from the system the Thursday night as it made the steering to heavy, pretty damn fast, but just too heavy, a plan were executed to keep the dust caps in place etc, needless to say, that evening at about 10-11pm we went thru the pace notes, well it was my first time going thru them, by this time I was so mentally drained, I do not think it helped a lot.

Open in new window

Saturday morning after arrival at Ceres Toyota, the last pre event prep work were done, documentation and scrutineering completed. All of a sudden microphone were forced onto me and I had to give a interview that they actually wanted to use at a later stage, not that nice, luckily for the audience as far as I know this footage is still unseen.

GoPro, if you haven't heard of these okes, it is seriously time to jump in your grave and retire. The most known, used and claimed action camera on the market, they do have their issues, even after 3-4 different iterations. I had my issues with them, but the biggest one to date is the fact that it is an action camera and never designed to work on permanent 12V while operating them by Wi-Fi remote, these things lose sync with the remote and never starts when pressing the record button at the start of a stage, by this time you are so strapped down by all sorts of belts, restrained with more straps than in a modern torture dungeon that there is just not enough time to loosen everything to turn your back and start the camera, what a pity not enough people need this features in order for the developers to work on it.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Stage 1
Seeing that time were against us, we had to start the rally with only RPM, Fuel level and Speed displayed on the screen, due to some sort of issue. No time = no time to find issue. Luckily we are using a LinkECU, these electronic management units comes with more safeties build in than necessary.

Open in new window

On our way to stage one, the most important things to do were bed the brakes, seeing that we were using the old damaged units we really worked them hard, the new front suspension were the last of our worries after we weaved a few times from left to right and it did what we wanted, even thou it was only tested for about 5km on tar the previous day.

Open in new window

At the start the main Gopro did not switch on, I'm still hating it for that, besides that everything went good thru the first few turns, took me while to place my trust in Ruan again after a year of not rallying on his navigating. Everything felt damn good, it even felt as we were more commit and actually keeping some pace thru the corners. 7km into the 14km stage I heard a rattling sound coming from the front left, not sure what it could be I dismissed it as Ruan would have said something seeing it is coming from his feet. About 2km later I just had to ask him seeing that the brakes felt weird, every time we went over a bumpy part with the weight removed from the left corner a mega rattle emerged, Ruan was just like "Nothing to worry about, probably just the shock bottoming out", well at that time that words were reassuring that all was fine and I should just anticipate the car moving to the right on braking and just keep on it. Coming to think of it, a shock bottoming out is not reassuring words, it is words for serious concern, but at that time it was so nice just to be back that it made sense. As we finished the stage on our way to the end control, the two of us were quite impressed with the run we had thru the stage after a year of absence.

Open in new window

As we approached, the marshals indicated our left wheel had severe camber, snap, I knew something was wrong, but the speed was good. We stopped in the road section and noticed a little camber, probably 5deg. It did not take a rocket scientist to realise the spherical bearing at the top of the shock ripped the sir clip out and was the cause for 1, shock bottoming out according the mister calm next to me or 2, the moer of a big rattle when unloaded, seeing that there were no way to re-install the spherical next to the road we phoned the service crew to bring the trailer and recover us. We lowered the jack,(by the way, a modified BMW 3 series jack does work nice on a rally car) placed the tools in the car and decided to drive the car to a better location seeing that the crew would not be able to turn with a trailer in that narrow road.

Open in new window

Scenes of Bredasdorp 2014 flashed past me with Ruan's invention of the IPhone hands free device for the navigator. As we drove we struggled with signal and had to relay all information via family to the service crew, As we moved we realised that we just completed 7km in a stage on this shock strut, another 10-15km open section would not heard on tarmac if we kept the speed down. At this stage our crew, family and friends were on their way to assist loading the car. I'm also pretty damn sure my brother executed the first Scandinavian flick with a car trailer attach to the bakkie, as that road was not big enough to find a spot, that fast for a u turn with a trailer and still be able to reach service seconds behind us.

Open in new window

As soon as we pulled into our service area the crew had the car on the sill stands and in an almost poetic rush of madness the shock was out, I grabbed a bucked with water and a few clean rags and headed over to Allen Martin service fan, his crew volunteered to weld the bearing to the top retainer, at least that way we could continue. At the end of the day we managed to not meld the inner lining of the bearing, a huge thanks to Allen Martin and his friendly crew that know their way around an Arc welder. While all of this was going on the rest of our crew went over the car, they quickly installed and assembled the suspension and we were cleared to leave service, we missed stage 2 but were in time for stage 3. A huge thanks to the team and to the new suspension as everything were designed to be worked on with ease.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Stage 3 were delayed, once we got going, we were in suspension testing mode and only tried to get more kilometres on the suspension, but obviously the driving were very cautious, the start of the stage were slow and it got better as we went on, the suspension took some serious hits and but all were good, that said the sump guard suffered a huge hit somewhere in the stage, were I do not know. We did hit a rock on the left side but that left a small mark, something else hit the guard harder and more to the middle. As we stopped for the time control at the service park, a friend indicated to the front of the car, we got out and realised we were leaking oil, Ruan quickly rushed inside and retrieved our environmental blanket to contain the oil spill. Once in service the team removed the sump guard and it was quite obvious I'm not willing to take the change to continue this way, a sad ending to the day, but better than risking a motor.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Back home I removed the sump and it was quite obvious that we hit something so hard that the poor 3mm mild steel sump guard smashed into the sump cracking the welding. All in all the event turned out to be just another test of patience, as we discovered that we need to design a skid plate not a sump guard, stay tuned for the upgrade.

Thanks to Patrick Vermaak, Patick Johnson and Selina Botes for the photos.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ33lELSaaM[/url]

Open in new window

RPT Sprint @ Apollo Bricks

Seeing that we needed more time in the seat testing the new front suspension, the RPT Sprint turned out to be the ideal playing field, one stage over and over, more or less like a big testing session. The suspension seemed to be much stronger than I'm willing to do to it, which is a big bonus and a huge sigh of relief. Seeing that we can still improve on the Ackerman, but that is a project for the future, I'm very impressed with what Mike managed to design, thanks brother, I know working with me is a battle on its own.

The huge benefit for me about the RPT events is the fact that we can take family, friends and general public around the course and this way we can actually give something back to all the supporters and crew sacrificing their own time to help us live a dream.

Ruan trying to stay interested
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAlb6ohVLM[/url]

Bjorn Venter trying to focus on the notes, it did not last long, he at least got past the first line
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOho1iLAYOA[/url]

Posted on: 2015/12/11 13:13

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
2015 TOYOTA CAPE DEALER RALLY & ALL TAR RALLY

Since the last rally which was the 2015 WBMK Ceres rally we had a lot of sitting around to do, rallies were cancelled one after the other, postponed, postponed again, it made me quite mad, but looking back at it I'm able to find a few positives in it, next year we will focus on enjoying life and not rush for the next event.
There we go I said it, there is more to life than just working and rushing for the next event.

A few odds and ends

Open in new window

Open in new window

Since the Ceres rally we went for a fun day at a RPT Sprint, after which we discovered that we are starting to tear the front track rod mountings, luckily an easy fix since I know my way around a welder.
Seeing that we had so much time before the next rally it were decided that it is a good time to get the dust caps fixed on the hubs, this time around decent caps were machined with a very rough thread to just screw them on, the final piece works a charm.

Open in new window

Since Ceres we went thru two steering quick releases, the metal on aluminium just is not strong enough, JOES Racing Products Steering Wheel Quick-Releases 13400 is the product I'm referring too, maybe good enough for the average looking to make his street car cool, but not for anyone else. Luckily for me I lost a few kgs around the gut and are now able to get in and out of the car much easier, thus I designed my own solution. The steering wheel is mounted rigid, well almost, well only if you fasten the bolts, the steering wheel angle can be adjusted with 3 x 8mm bolts, clever hay. The whole steering column assemble now uses a 13mm spanner and a 2 imperial sized Allen keys.

Open in new window

The night before the Ceres Rally the DASH2 started losing data intermittently, well this was caused by a non-stranded wire that broke within the loom, probably due the high vibrations within the car. I managed to source some high quality wire and descend Deutsch connectors, while busy I installed a switch in the serial data stream that cuts the ground between management and display, this is very needed during mapping as both the display and laptop uses the serial bus, which cause chaos, solution, switch the stream off to the display and happy mapping.

Talking about mapping, we have spent hours on the road, behind the pcs, in order to learn and understand the whole mapping process better, this required lots of effort from my brother and also Ian Oberholzer from Rezlo Auto Works which assisted us over the copper wires. What an interesting process, especially if you are working with decent management with very good logging and analysis capabilities.
The main goal of the mapping exercise were to activate the cams a lot earlier, well between 3500-4200 rather than 5000-5200, this would help keep the car on-cam between changes, seeing that we don't have money for a short ration gearbox. I must admit, it was a struggle , but the end result is much better, throttle control and driveability much improved on the gravel.
Now it is just a matter of time and money before I can build a decent solid diff that would aid the changes in the mapping.
Next time around we just need to invest in a inverter in order to keep the laptop powered.

Sump Guard

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Something that the car needed from day one, well a better one, I always knew I should invest in a strong unit, but with all the work it always took the back foot, seeing that we had to retire the Ceres rally due to this, the sump guard became the most important part to design and build before the next outing.
A few hours later and I figured out all the angles and my brother managed to create one of his special AutoCAD drawings ready for some attention at the laser cutters. Since I waited for the parts to be delivered, my attention automatically drifted and all of a sudden I'm looking at buying my own high frequency AC/DC TIG, I managed to find a bargain after my usual price haggling and purchased my very own machine.
Once you have tried some Alu welding you have a deep appreciation for those that have actually figured out the art and science to weld alu at aircraft quality levels. Saying this, I'll try my best to learn, but when it comes to parts that is made from thin materials and needs to look good, I will stay pay a professional.
I managed to weld my sump guard on my own, well with the help of a few YouTube classes, it did not take long to realise welding 10mm Alu with a machined designed for 200A is a big no no, as it took 2 melted torches to get this thing done.
All in all I'm satisfied with the end result.
The guard is so strong, I had to reinforce the front metal work in order to justify this things strength, no help having a strong guard but every time you use it you sheer bolts from the chassis. The guard now bolts to the car with four 8mm bolts at the front and two at the rear, again 8mm bolts, standardising. The rear sports recessed bolt heads and the top a polypropylene spacer that takes the gap between guard and cross member, now the team can jack the car without worrying about any damage.

Steering Rack

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Besides the steering rack going in again for an oil leak I managed to spend a few hours in making a set of clevises to replace the racks ends. Timing was perfect seeing that the old rack ends started to show signs of play, the biggest motivation besides the elimination of rack ends is the fact that the front end can now use all the travel, previously the rack end inner ball to carcass stopped us from using all the travel, now it is free for all.

Lightning

Open in new window

Open in new window

Seeing that we had two rallies approaching that needed some upgraded lightning, I decided to spend some money on cheap Chinese LED Bars, there not the best when it comes to focused light per lumen, but for the price and the frequency they will be used, they are perfect. For the majority of the forward lightning a 180W 800mm long Bar mounted just above the bonnet level where used and then two smaller ones mounted below the top one on a slide in order to adjust the angle, these two small ones is just to light up the pavements and walls. These things make so much light, I can understand why the authorities does not like these on day to day vehicles, you can cause accidents with these.

Toyota Cape Dealer Rally
We managed to prepare the car about 3 weeks in advance, thanks to Jean and Ruan for the assistance, it made a big difference, after the day of prepping we ended the day with a huge braai, shared a few stories and I had a last to-do list to finish, luckily only small items.

Well what can be said about this event if you're used to regionals, first of all it is a different world, the basics is more or less the same, but that is it. From the first piece of information/email it was quite apparent that this is much more professional than most regionals, first of all, the event actually took place on the set date. Everything where done in a very professional manner, from maps to general information. The notes, I loved these things, they are actually created using a clever little box full of gyros and GPS technology, linked with a video and you have a very attractive interface to use and study a set of base notes, I love it.

The Rally consisted of 4 days for us.

Day 1 - Wednesday - The Big Pack

Open in new window

Open in new window

Drop the rally car for a wash followed by the motorcycle and bakkie for a wash and polish at the local carwash. Once the motorcycle were done I had transport to go to Ruan in order for the two of us to collect our sponsored bakkie from WBHO that we could use for the weekend, thanks WBHO.
On the way home we collected the trailer, thanks Car Boat and Truck, then stopped to buy all our drinks that we will need over the next few days and you will be surprised at the amount of fluids consumed on something like this.
We moved on and collected the rally car from the carwash, once home we only had to finish the small bits like adding sponsor decals, apply the last layers of RainX, pack the bakkies, yes we used two and load the car. Oh yes, somewhere between all this we actually collected the bakkie from the carwash, but that detail is a bit hazy.
Rally tyres were fitted to the rims that will be used, and then a very used set of tyres fitted for Friday seeing that we will only be racing on tar, no special tyres for us.
I took the time to add some decals of the sponsors to my helmet seeing that every little bit of exposure helps.

Day 2 - Thursday - Recce & Scrutineering Day

Open in new window

Open in new window

An very early start to the day for us and the car on the trailer on our way to Malmesbury, once we arrived at the showground’s we un hooked the trailer, waited in line for our documentation and set off to recce our first stage, all of this being quite new for us seeing that it would be our first national rally event we will be competing in. Seeing that we had access to the recce videos from the Monday we had an idea what to expect, thus armed with a set of provided base notes we set of on our first pass of the stages.

Open in new window

We focused on making the notes quite safe, thus slow, but we wanted to finish the rally. After the first pass of the stages we started noticing all the cuts that started appearing as the big boys marked their territory.

Open in new window

During the second pass the waiting around before the stages started to get longer and longer, the end result a very long day and a lot of km behind the wheel, still a lot of fun, really enjoyed the whole National thing, could get used to the way of doing things.
Seeing that we were lucky enough to be some of the last to scrutineer, we decided to drive back to Cape Town to take a rest and have something decent to eat before returning to Malmesbury to take the car thru scrutineering, a very clever plan, seeing that we would have had to hang around for about 4 hours doing nothing.
As usual the car passed with flying colours, just got some lip in regards to our racing suits, apparently there are different rules for locally produced suits vs the big name imported units, something that is not written in the rules, but that is Motorsport South Africa for you.
We arrived home just after 10, sleep was becoming a thing of the past.

Day 3 - Friday - Tar Racing

Open in new window

Seeing that the racing started a little later, we managed to sleep until 7am, what a treat. We finalised the last few bits and bobs and headed off to Killarney racing track to setup our service area. Again we had the opportunity to do a 2 pass recce of the stage, luckily for me and Ruan we know the complex quite good and have nick names for all the corners and service roads.

Open in new window

Drivers briefing was quite a laugh, but you could feel the tension between the big boys, while the rest was just happy to be abale to compete alongside them, knowing that if they make a mistake we will be able to say we finished and they did not.
A lot of waiting around happened, the rally started for us on the ceremonial start ramp at Bidvest McCarthy Toyota Tableview, after which we moved back to Killarney for our first stage.

Stages

Open in new window

The first stage went past and it was quite fun, never in my wildest dreams would I have though an old rally tyre had that much grip. Stage 2 was more less the fun as one, except we started seeing some damage against the walls and cars parked here and there with damage. It became quite apparent very quickly that a decent handbrake for tar is needed. Once we arrived back in the pits we saw it was Leeroy Poulter car behind us sporting a lot of damage to the rear, all make sense, he and the wall met each other hard.
Once we were done with service we had to drive the cars to Cape Gate shopping mall thru peak traffic, that made for some interesting looks from the other cars.
We had a repeat mickey mouse stage in front Toyota Cape Gate. As we lost a lot of time due to an accident on our route to Toyota all of the back markers more or less lost the opportunity to walk the stage and had to go thru it blind, a little unfair I would say, but that is life if you rally on a budget.
The new lights we fitted worked a treat, but the handbrake quickly moved to the top of our next modification list, what a frustration.
All in all we managed to keep the car in one piece. We had to parc ferme the evening and took the car home for a decent service, it was quite entertaining having other people work on the car at home while I stood around watching and fiddling with the computer, normally I'm all alone working on the car.

Day 4 - Saturday - The Real Rally

Open in new window

Open in new window

Up and about early the Saturday morning with a leisurely drive to Malmesbury showground’s for day two, gravel and more gravel.
At the start of stage 5 - Langgewens, we actually had this weird peaceful feeling to the whole affair, it was quite nice, as we lined up to the start of the stage we were met with quite deep ruts, something that would shock us later as we discover a S2000 rally should be renamed to "road destroyer" damn they think nothing of a good quality piece of road. About 1 km in we passed a rolled Golf, not a good site to take in right at the start, but we pushed on and soon it became apparent that this stage would become one of my favourites, the only downside was the fact that we caught the car in front of us within the first 15km and had to sit in its dust.

Open in new window

Open in new window

On the last stage of the first 4 stage loop we started noticing a slight vibration coming from the front left, we managed to get back to the service park injury free.

Open in new window

Open in new window

During mid-day service we traced the vibration to a loose wheel bearing, a new development issue. We also managed to ding the right rear wheel. With our tummies filled and newer rubber all round we set of for the second loop, 1, 2 stage, service, then again 1, 2 stage service, I like this 2 stages after each other before returning to the service area, not nice for spectators, but it helps a lot with the standing around and waiting, something I’m not very good at.

Open in new window

Open in new window

During this loop we noticed some very very aggressive cuts and started using them, but the thing that really caught us was the way the stages deaerated, a small hole became one that would swallow a hole wheel, these S2000 sure know how the destroy a road.
We had more and more fun out on the stages, passed more than a few of the big names, thinking that we will now finish in front of them, but we were in for a surprise as South Africa rally rules is very screwed up.

Open in new window

As the speed increased, the amount of braking did also and a new issue showed its ugly head, our front callipers started binding, all fine in the stages, but once we reached the end, the heat soaked the aluminium pistons causing them to bind, we had two instances that we had to wait for them to cool, the last one our time was limited to get back to parc ferme, that we had to use the water from our freshwater bladder to cool the brakes in order for them to loosen in order for us to drive on. This sealed it for us, the modifications will include a serious rethink in regards to brakes. We managed to ding another wheel on the same spot on the same right rear corner, lucky I don't think.

Open in new window

Open in new window

All in all we had a blast, some of the best fun in the car to date. Besides the crappy rules that allowed all the broken down S2000 and S1600 to finish before us, even thou they did not even reach parc ferme, it was a very memorable event and we will definitely be back, even if the crappy rules are still very crappy.

Thanks to all involved making this event possible.

CCMCC ALL Tar Rally

Open in new window

Open in new window

Just as the name would suggest, a rally that is held on tar only, not really our thing, but we know the track well and thought it could only be fun, our motto being, do not destroy the car as concrete is harder than fences.
We gathered some of our oldest rally tyres, some of them with more than 3 events done, strapped them to the wheels and we were ready for some serious side ways fun, since we learned that rally tyres are more fun than can be described on tar.
The first stage was on the Friday evening, quite glad I went thru all the work in getting the LED lights mounted for the national as the combination really works nice on the faster stage, would still like to see what they do on a fast gravel stage.
Just look at the amount of light these make in an lighted area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfKis4jZ0rw

At the end of the stage we only had a few minutes to remove the lights and check what is needed to do on the car the next morning as we had a service after parc ferme opened.
Again the wheel bearings was an issue, something was causing the bolts to loosen, the cause will be found.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Saturday morning back at the track we waited for parc ferme to open, once the car entered service we quickly helped to check the bearings and get the rest sorted, the rubber we left as is, we wanted to see how far we could push them.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

After each stage we just started having more and more fun, kept everything controlled and started climbing the leader board, as everyone want to win and push harder and harder until they either hit something or break down. At the end of stage 6 we had to pull off the road after the finish to cool the brakes, luckily we had 10lt of water on-board just for that, in less than a minute we had them cooled and on our way to the service area.

Open in new window

Open in new window

The only thing that got to me on this event was the fact that after each stage we had to service, that is a lot of standing around and practise to get strapped into the car.

Open in new window

Open in new window

We managed to finish the day with one set of very knackered tyres, our first class win, 4th overall and unofficially 1st on rally tyres, very proud of this achievement, but more proud of the fact that we drove the car home.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Again thanks to all involved in making this event possible, and especially thanks to our service crew and family members for their support. Just their dedication in getting our tummies fuelled is testament to the fact that they also enjoy these events.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Stage 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YJAT_ErMM

Stage 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K2YbrLdIAE

Thanks to all the photographers for the stunning photos.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 8:54

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Datto Build - March 2016 - Brake Upgrade & Klipdale Rally

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

As we arrived home after the Toyota Dealer Rally we parked Datto and replaced all the rally equipment with camping equipment. The next morning before first light we set of on our road trip to the Kruger National Park, a quick dash thru Swaziland, a steep climb up the Sani Pass and a colourful drive thru the Eastern Cape back home.
I would just like to say one thing about this trip, all the people in the world that thinks Table Mountain is this beautiful thing surely haven’t been to the Drakensberg, never in my life have I seen mountains in our country better looking than the Drakensberg, magic and a slight touch of wizzary is the ingredients for those mountains.

Open in new window

The Morning as we were driving up, I made a comment to a family member that told me we should be careful in the rally car that, I'm safer in the rally car than on the mountain bike, if only I saw the irony in that statement, during the week back at home, a friend and myself visited a MTB trail we haven’t been to in a while, on our way down I ran out of talent over a table top jump, broken my left cartilage, right AC joint broken, my first stitches on my right eye brow from the helmet cracking on 8 places, cuts and bruises all over, a haematoma on my right leg (at least my physio gave me some nice Viking art for that) and lastly, no damage to the MTB, what a relieve.

Open in new window

Obviously the above caused some issues working on the car was very difficult as my one arm was in a sling, at least I kept my mechanical side sharp for a month or two by assembling my own MTB, there is something special building and riding your own specced bike, even maintenance on it is a nice affair as you learned all the tricks needed.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Seeing that we realised that we needed a better hand brake on tar and that we have a little heating issue on the front brakes, we decided to upgrade both front and rear brakes. Allot of effort went into searching for the best options, lastly we settled on a new pair of Wilwood DynaPro 1.75" Stainless Steel pistons units for the front coupled to a set of 298mm curved vane rotors to help with heat dissipation, for the rear we went for the same size 298mm rotors, this time normal straight vane and used the old front callipers. The above seemed like overkill, but hopefully it would allow us to use a slightly cheaper brake pad compound which could net a huge money save in the long run.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Seeing that the front was already radial mounted callipers, it was the obvious to start with them, with a little time spend on AutoCAD to design an ideal adaptor plate between hub and rotor that defined the necessary measurements in order to get the offsets correct, I was able to make some quick spacers in order to mount the calliper to test clearance between the wheels, all was happy.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

It did not take too long to machine the required adaptors once my arm was out of the sling, drilling all the holes on the other hand was quite a task seeing that I needed my very weak right arm to operate the milling machine. After all the drilling I chamfered the sides in order to allow the maximum amount of air to be vented thru the rotors.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Packed the bearings with grease, installed some new oil seals and the front end was done and dusted.

Open in new window

Open in new window

The rear was a matter of much much more time and effort will be needed, especially since the old rear callipers were lug mount, this meant a whole new mounting must be designed and also a hat to mount the rotor.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

After some careful option consideration we decided to go against everything we believe and not start from scratch, but rather use the old rotor which spigots 100%, cut it down to size and mount the new rotor to it, all in all it turned out to be a brilliant plan, just the machining took ages.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Mounting the calliper took some CAD (Cardboard aided Design) work, a lot of clamps some marking, drilling, tapping and time, I wouldn't bore you with the details. Due to the increase in piston count and increase size of the pistons, we had to swap the master cylinders from 0.625 units to bigger 0.750 units in order to increase the amount of fluid and decrease the pedal travel as I like a very high stiff stroke, that just sounds inappropriate.

Open in new window

We were invited to put the car on display at the KykNet Ekspo and take some passengers around a little track at Apollo Bricks, it was a nice day walking around all the vendors looking for new camping ideas, but the track was very dusty and chewed up tyres like never before, also the speed was very low, which meant testing the brakes at very high temperatures was not possible, but at least we had an idea that the new handbrake setup is working very good.

Witzenberg Motor club held their annual awards ceremony at the beginning of the year, we managed to get some trophies for our efforts for competing in the Regional championship, but also some for the National NRC2 championship, something which is very strange to me, only competitors with national licenses were allowed on the podium, but those of us with only regional licenses are allowed to score national points, very silly in my opinion, but let's leave it be as I personally think rally scoring is a freak in joke in our country, again, how on God’s green earth can a competitor that did not make it to parc ferme finish before those that actually finished the rally.

Open in new window

Regional Championship
10th Overall Driver
1st Class S4 Driver
10th Overall Navigator
1st Class S4 Navigator

NRC2 Championship
9th Class NRC2 Driver
9th Class NRC2 Navigator

Klipdale Rally

Open in new window

We haven't really planned to do an event this early in the year, but seeing that we did it last year and really enjoyed the good quality roads and higher speeds, we just could not pass on it, then there is the little fact that this is the location of our very first rally, which mean the event is close to our hearts.

Open in new window

The prep work on the car was quite easy as nothing was broken, the shocks was taken apart, cleaned lubed and put together again, new grease and oil seals on the hubs and the normal bolt check, cleaning, alignment and washing. We had quite a laugh at the state of the tyres that was still on the car since the All Tar, just goes to show that you don't need the best to have fun.

Open in new window

Open in new window

As usual the morning started very early as we decided to travel to Klipdale the morning of the event in order to save costs. On arrival it was still quite damp from the previous weeks rain and we thought the weather will be nice and cool, boy were we in for a surprise. Documentation and scrutineering went by without any issues, the team did a great job in getting everything setup.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Stages
Within the first few kilometres we realised that we were a lot faster with more commitment thru the corners, which is a very positive sign for us as it proves that we are concentrating on the correct order of things. Before the event I decided to use a heart rate monitor just for the fun of it and at the end of stage 1 we just had to look at it as we nearly lost the car going over the flying finish, my heart rate went from an average 146bpm to 178bpm in milliseconds, the whole incident happened so fast we could not immediately put our finger on what happened. I don't know if it is a good thing to have your daily scare on the first stage in order to slow you down or just to motivate you to look closer and concentrate harder. The crew had quite a giggle once we arrived at service and told them the story with so much laughter we could hardly get a word out. We decided that we will service after the first stage as the brakes were new and un tested and would stick to the old tyres until stage 4.

Open in new window

Open in new window

During stage 2 things just started gelling better and better, we took it easy over the very rough stuff and pushed on the more flowing stuff. For this event we tested a few changes in the way we make notes which turned out to help a lot, it saves time in making the notes and helps a lot with confidence, but we did not finish the stage without 2 incidents on the brakes, the rear was very snappy once you jump on the brakes, after some brake bias adjustments on the fly this seemed to get better and better. Back in the pits I had quite a long time to think about the brakes as we told the service crew it is ok they could stay out in the stages spectating as we will service ourselves, coming back to the brakes, the rear was so snappy due to the much bigger rear setup, also the reason why we almost lost it at the end of stage 1, after that scare I was prepared for it and could drive around it until I could put my finger on it and rectify, seeing that I'm not one for fiddling without knowing why.

Open in new window

As the day went on, we asked the service crew to come and service during the mid-day break in order to make us some food and help with tyres and refuelling. Again we had a good couple of laughs regarding the mistakes we made, at the end of the day the biggest one went to Ruan for forgetting to call a left 9, luckily we had enough space, but due to the language used I had to throw away the video footage as he was truly lost and felt very bad, I never laughed that hard during a stage nor after. The dumbest went to me for not engaging the clutch when pulling the handbrake in front of all the spectators at a hairpin right, dump ass. The last 2 stages was the best of them all, seeing that I made only a few mistakes and committed to everything Ruan told me and just had a blast. Our hearts went out to all the officials and marshals on the day as we saw temperatures in the car in excess of 43 degrees Celsius.

Open in new window

Open in new window

At the end of the day we ended with our best ever gravel results:

4th Overall, 9 seconds behind the podium
2nd Class S4, 9 seconds adrift of our 1st gravel class win.

Very happy with our progress, almost almost getting to the point where we can remove the Learner sticker in the back window, for now we will continue to learn and be grateful for all the support and hard work from friends and family.

Stage 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zP6dTF70LI

Stage 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07hZioqUZE

Stage 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2IVcXBo-iQ

Posted on: 2016/7/8 12:35

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Datto Build - 2016 WBMK Ceres Rally - The Good and the Bad

After a very successful Klipdale rally we started early with getting the car ready, seeing that we had no issues at Klipdale the preparation works was limited to a few small items.

After pulling the car from the trailer the day after Klipdale I realised we had a charging issue, luckily the diagnosis concluded that sense and supply wires to the alternator broke in the connector, Luckily Henk from Tygerberg Auto Electric made quick work of supplying a new unit.
Finally my USB charger arrived, this one is long overlooked as my focus was always on keeping the GoPro powered and as of late the remotes died on my and I had to swop them at mid-day service, easier said than done, you have to pair each camera to the new remote, this is quite a crappy job, but then again there is worst jobs to do.
<a href="http://www.madev.co.za/3956" target="_blank">Car Boat & Truck also started work on the air vent for the roof, something that we would like to have for the National in September as it is normally quit dusty in September, they also repainted the two wheels we damaged at last year’s National.
The rest of the preparations went as per normal, check every bolt on the suspension, look for cracks and anything out of the norm, blow the dust out with the air hose, vacuum, wash the interior and exterior, pack all the spares and tools and finally load the car on the trailer after a test drive.

As normal driving to Ceres this time of the year, the road between Wellington and Gouda was quite misty, making overtaking quite difficult, on arrival at Ceres Toyota the final preparations were completed before the car could go thru scrutineering, this normally include, checking tyre pressures, filling the fuel tank, cleaning the windows, setup the cameras and making sure all the safety equipment is in the car. As normal the car passed scrutineering with flying colours. Once in Parc Ferme it was just a matter of getting the racing suit on and wait for starting orders.

Open in new window

Stage 1
In a blink of the eye my mood went from excellent to very disappointed. Well as we started the rally from Ceres Toyota we made our way to the first stage, barely out of Ceres it became quite apparent that the motor was down on power, with two stages before us and the service park we just had to keep our hopes up, not that easy. Ruan realised he forgot his balaclava in his bag and the service crew had to bring it down to us, we met them just before the stage, Ruan's melon now safe if it burns we proceeded to get the helmets on and enter the time control.
The stage started off with a very fast section going into a a technical section before opening a little just before going over the hills and dam wall, after the dam wall it is very rough, we made it, but the motor was down on power.

Open in new window

Stage 2
Only 1 to go before the service park, but this was the long one with which we have history, midway thru the stage is the spot where the front stub axle broke 2 years ago, this section is so special we even dedicated sometime in the pace notes to convey our respect if we pass the spot. One thing is for sure, I do need to work on the more technical stuff as I misjudged the entry speed on a very sharp right hander, luckily nothing major. In these technical bits it was quite difficult in driving the car as we struggled a lot with power low down, half of the mistakes was due to me trying to drive thru it and the rest was trying to crawl back the time that I just lost.
We passed our little spot of previous breakdown in style and then the fast bits came, what an enjoyable part of the stage, fast flowing stages between farms ending the stage with a section going up the hill, the car sounded terrible as the exhaust cracked somewhere.

Open in new window

Service
We almost did not make it back to service, one of the hills we had to go to 1st gear to keep the car going, in service the crew started fitting new plugs, looking for obvious things like vacuum pipes, lose wires etc., nothing. In the meantime I was going thru the ECU logs, all seemed in order, fuel pressure, spark etc., besides the Air/Fuel readings, this seemed off all over the show. But we reckon it was a dead plug or two causing the AFRs to show lean.

Open in new window

Stage 3 and Service 2
When putting my helmet on I realised my spectacles were gone, damn I as dumbed struck, since I couldn't even remember putting them on the morning, neither doing stages 1 and 2 with them, can the day get any worst.
As we excited the service area we knew the problem did not go away with a set of new plugs, we turned around, switched the ECU logging on and gathered some data.
Seeing that we had a lot of time as the mid-day service was after stage 3, we started digging deeper, unplugging connectors, removing the distributor cap in search of some water, nothing, again the data suggested perfect fuel pressures, but still very lean afr readings. I got the bright spark idea of adding some fuel in the cells used for idling and immediately the AFRs came down, suggesting a fuel problem not ignition. We kept adding fuel over the entire maps until it was safe to race the motor.
We went out to test on the road a couple of times and it made a big difference.
Back in service we had lunch while and the boys gave the rest of the car a once over. Since we had a lot of time we searched high and low for the spectacles, but no luck.

Open in new window

Stage 4
As we set off the car felt new as we had some more power, not 100%, but at least you could get yourself out of trouble thru the corners. The first part was fast and flowing going over a few rough spots, before going past the spectators next to the road, it was nice to see the whole 1000m odd sections lined with spectators, we did our best to great all after the stage on our way back to service. After the spectators point the stage turns into a terror for a few hundred meter as it is very difficult judging the dips at speed, afterwards it opens and flows again, it is as if the dog shows you some teeth just in order to demand some respect.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Service 3
We had a motor with more power and happy with that, I can't even remember if we did anything besides setting tyre pressures as we decided to stick to our current tyres for the remainder of the day, as we had nothing to prove, we decided to just finish the rest of the stages and enjoy the rally even more.

Open in new window

Stage 5
On our way to the stage Ruan asked me what the plan was, well I have not seen the stage other than on the DVD, but we quickly came to the conclusion that we are going to be safe and just have fun. This was the one stage we were warned about, this thing apparently had big teeth in the first section, that as quite a concern, well what is a man to do than just getting on with it, we tip toed thru the first section as it was quit slippy. Once the scenario opens before you the stage is devilish fast and flowing and true commitment is needed, something we were lacking, and passing the rolled car in the stage did not help, neither did Ruan with some of the notes that was very slow, our new found speed got to him.
We ended the stage with a 2nd fastest time for the day, something we are very happy about, would love to redo this stage one day and try to improve, but this is the type of stage that can turn into a high speed disaster very quickly.

Open in new window

Straight to stage 6, the way I like it
We arrived at stage 6 and I can remember looking into the distance and seeing the 4 little square road signs indicating a very sharp bend, I just had to check the notes with Ruan just to make sure it is really as sharp as indicated, actually a nice to have road signs on a stage, if Ruan nod off I can actually continue.
We exited the sharp left hander and immediately you could see this is big man’s country this and you should be packing if you want your name at the top, we did our best on this new roads but one or two crests I just had to lift as we approached as my chest compressed even though the notes said flat, I just not had enough in me for them, but the last one my inner chimp stepped forward once he heard the flying finish is behind it, as he remembered it is straight and we should prove a point to the brain that the chimp is the strongest and we can flat foot it.
Ok so let’s just stop here for a second. Driving to your next door town going up and over crests is one thing we all are faced at least once a month, but doing it once a month on gravel roads while doing speeds above the normal 120km/h not knowing what is on the other side is a completely different ball game. Before I started rallying I never gave any thought to the word crest, a crest was a good spot for a photo, but in rallying the word crest will test your inner to the max.
Back to the crest at hand we approached this thing and the chimp took over and pinned the throttle to the floor, we went over this thing at close to 160km/h wheels lifting slightly, on the other side we managed to add another 7km/h to the total and flew over the flying finish at 167km/h slamming on the brakes as the time control came closer at an alarming rate, what a rush, I think we were giggling like little girls all the way back to the road service, inner chimp happy with the fix until the next one.
3rd fastest time for the day, inner happiness.

Open in new window

Road Service
A new concept to us, but seeing that we were humbled by the last stage and glad to be safe we had a blast washing the car at the road service.

Open in new window

Stage 7 a repeat of 2
Seeing that we did the stage earlier with a sick motor, I was happy to try my luck at it again. We went for it, and probably over did it as we made the same mistake at the right hander as in stage 2 then 30m later we almost ended in the fence, we recovered just to make another two corners later, then we got into it and everything started flowing, we paid our respect to the spot and proceeded to help the farmer plant some seedlings as we left the road and did some farming at speeds I might add but I got it under control and then onto the roads linking the farms, damn this is a nice part of the stage and we really enjoyed it as I had enough confidence to chuck the car into corners knowing there is power to get us thru it.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Stage 8 a repeat of 1
Just had to finish this one in order to record our only finish to the Ceres rally, well we did super rally but the first time we completed more than 3 stages.
We took it steady over the jump, while it seems to me everyone else was out for their photo of the year as they went for serious air, as we entered the technical bit a made a few mistakes from trying too hard, after that I just went into a steady pace to get safely to the end, and we managed another 2nd fastest time.

All in all we are very happy with the progress we are making in every aspect, 7 rallies done, not 1 Ceres finish, but I think this is Ceres way of telling us that we need to come back and finish it.

Photo Credits
Jacques Bartie Photography
Street Motion
Eric Joseph
Jason Hanslo

Videos
Stage 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVQMAU-ZoA

Stage 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bwla4WIh3c

Stage 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V09IlG5GTk8

Stage 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BDDZLOMJi4

Stage 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiI5o2WmusY

Stage 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCk-XLg3iPA

Posted on: 2016/7/11 9:19

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
From Creswell, Oregon USA
Group:
Registered Users
Racetech where did you buy these? The spindles not the blocks.

I would gladly produce those blocks if you have a steady buyer. Only issue is I am on the west coast of the USA, but my production rates are the best around.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2017/4/18 22:01

Instagram @MD_Machine
Parler @MDMachine

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.