Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: New 1200 sedan owner....
Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
Dave forgot the diff --you chaps have the alfa diff --just slightly wider and 108pcd - not really a prob.Has rear discs.HEY you can see i'm getting tired --chopping my sentences

Posted on: 2015/8/6 19:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just popping in
From UK
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome advise - Thanks,

I am now starting to get an idea in my head about the car build!

Sorry for the delay, I was at a wedding for the weekend.

I am seriously thinking A14 Turbo as it would just be fantastic little beast and would aim for 160-185 hp?

I have a great Nissan performance mechanic not far from me so he is the man for the job and is keen but can't do much for 3 months, which is fine as I can get everything together once I know the path I wish to take!

My mechanic and I were talking via messenger the other day which was all progressive stuff but my worry is the gear box now for a A14 turbo setup, on your last message you talked about a 5 speed ute box, what was that from exactly, and do I need to make the transmission tunnel larger, hopefully not I really don't want to do that?

Funny you say about Banzai, I love the mag and it is guaranteed read every month and I am in talks with them about the Datsun and last month (August '15) I made letter of the month because I am selling my mint R30 skyline which was going to be my project to make space for the Datsun, I could not believe the Datsun came up for sale as the are so rare now I had to have it and frankly I love it and it is in perfect condition for age!

Thanks again.

Dave

Posted on: 2015/8/9 19:07

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
This is a "Ute" - Sunny 1200 pickup

Open in new window

They improved the standard 1200 4-speed in October 1989. Much stronger. Yet same size as the original 4-speed.

Even stronger, suitable for hi-power A14 is the 63-Series Transmission 5-speed. Datsun put them behind 2.0 liter engines yet a version exists for A14. It came in 1976-1978 Datsun B210 5-speed cars. Much bigger around, but still fits in the standard transmission tunnel.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 22:25

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
NO DAVE that's a BAKKIE lofl. Hey i'm joking that's the name that some afrikaans speaking dude gave the ute. The english would prob say pick-up.Here is an ad [bakkie/bakkuzi] https://youtu.be/ViorVDgiiOg

Posted on: 2015/8/10 10:24

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Pickup is the Japanese technical term, but it's commonly called a Truck in Japan.

Afrikaans say bakkie, not sure why, it's not bowl-shaped?

Posted on: 2015/8/10 11:08

Just popping in
From UK
Group:
Registered Users
Hey,

Thanks for the tips, I have now just enquired about the 5 speed box.

I had a chap from S.A drop something off at my house one day and spotted the 1200 and got very excited about it and told me all about the Bakkies and how they are so loved in S.A!

I will come back to you guys when I hear about the gearbox, Naturally I will want some advice on the turbo size (I read somewhere Garrett T25 fitting is best but what size turbo exactly - or is it more about the HP target?) Also the intake & fuel set up etc etc as well, your knowledge is gold and I really appreciate it!

I will try to get a couple photos of the 1200 on here as well.

Speak soon,

Dave

Posted on: 2015/8/10 20:22

Edited by Daves-1200 on 2015/8/10 21:11:28

Just popping in
From UK
Group:
Registered Users
No Luck with the 5 speed 63 series gearbox with my parts guy in the UK- and he is telling me that they are virtually non existent here!

Do you guys have any contacts in your neck of the woods that may have one and ship it to the UK? - must fit A14 though.

Thanks in advance....

Dave

Posted on: 2015/8/10 22:30

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
Dave try Peter Zekert[USA] He should be able to help you.Just google his name and it should come up.Peter races/builds datsun 1200s etc

Posted on: 2015/8/11 10:09

Just popping in
From UK
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks,

Found his details and going to get in touch ASAP - looks like he could be the right guy!

I will let you know how I get on....

Best regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2015/8/11 18:16

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Im liking that want you want to keep it A series (plz try and keep Aseries) especially being there is only a handfull of 1200s left in your country, and by the sounds of it its in nice original condition.
but if you really want it to perform well without spending a small fortune, ditch the datsun gear and put a toyota 4age in it. 100kw- 5speed no tunnel mods etc, parts are easier to get, and still common in geezer land .
or id just do simple mods to the original a12(keep numbers matching) spending as little as possible and aim for 80hp at the rears. 80 is heaps if you have the small light wheels on it.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 15:43

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.