Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: E--supercharger
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, the Nissan Leaf will never work ...

Posted on: 2012/12/20 21:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Leaf is fantastic, even has patented guard shape that removes air turbulence from side mirrors, but the result of the whole car is undoutedly ugliness. If they designed it away from weird and used a different name rather than Leaf or like Mitsu did with theirs, there you go cant even remember it! would have help.

Sad considering Nissan had some awesome sought after retro cars in the past.

All battery is good thats no question but ICE and electric supercharger and heaps of batts is like taking the Prius and adding electric supercharging.
The volt is a better idea as long as it doesnt add e-SC :)

Posted on: 2012/12/21 0:55

From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Brushless motors are getting pretty good nowdays. But for 99% of applications it's a wet dream. Screw chargers are tons more effeicent than roots. So there's sh1tloads less parasitic loss. I'll be sticking with my belt driven pumps for the moment thanks.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 5:00

Re: E--supercharger -- dyno result
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Looks like we were all wrong ... strongest run was with the electric blower:

Quote:
sikyne: He is a dyno graph showing three runs.. One from Lagwagon's A12, One from Ange's and the highest run was when we used an electric blower to force feed it!

Open in new window
One thing we forgot is that for acceleration, the electricity can come out of the battery, so no load is put on the engine ... then the battery can be recharged when cruising

Posted on: 2016/5/27 0:38

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I would have thought F1 would be a better example than a leaf blower :P

Posted on: 2016/5/27 3:54

From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
I agree the battery CAN be recharged at cruise, so that AT BEST relegates the idea to drag racing, or the occasional/emergency overtaking manouever. It'd also be interesting to see that dyno graph if the motors were run for more than say, 15-20 seconds (guesstimate admittedly, and I know sikyne is absolutely 100% integrity, the graphs and data are legit, no argument or aspersions there) of the dyno pull, as wiring starts to heat up and battery drains and all the rest. the power will almost certainly drop off. If the application doesn't require it then that's no issue whatsoever, but even with some very fast cars I've had over teh years, i've (and obviously this means I'm admitting to driving illegally and I don't endorse it nor am I proud of it, but it is what it is) run cars at full throttle for approaching a minute, and then with a short term let off, back on the throttle and so on. If 'that' is what the app requires, belt or exhaust gas driven is still going to destroy it.

THe McCulloch/Paxton blowers seen on studebakers and also available as kits in the 50s or thereabouts used a fairly primitive compressor wheel/housing design to be sure, but they also had a variable drive. It wasn't adequately reliable when pushed beyond stock/intended applications/boost levels but nonetheless showed promise, and I wonder if a modern take on it might have some potential.

Obviously stuff like lysholm compressors absolutely are a considerable cut above a rootes type but that in and of itself is sort of secondary to the drive method imo. don't get me wrong, I think it has application, particularly in some sort of hybrid/combination situation where it can be used to create boost off idle or similar, but there's still usefullness in the relative simplicity and know quantity of engine or exhaust gas drive.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 14:52

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
geez jmac what made you bring this up.[nice tests by sykine] Are you also looking at the pros and cons?This was a write up i saw in jap mag [tech talk]which i found quite interesting.I am now reading another interesting article about throttle bodies [intake] If i get time i might put it up here eg different types of throttle body, what is a t/body, throttle diameter,inlet length,butterfly and injector positions,taper or parallel body,inlet trumpets,spindleless throttle types,turbocharging t/bodies ---might be in time for those making their own intakes

Posted on: 2016/5/27 18:39

From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Jmac's back. (I don't get on here much anymore)
Hope your health is playing ball now?

Posted on: 2016/5/29 9:47

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
THe McCulloch/Paxton blowers seen on studebakers and also available as kits in the 50s ... I wonder if a modern take on it might have some potential.
Paxton blowers are quite popular in my country

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/paxton-automotive-corp

Attach file:

jpg  novi2000.jpg (94.78 KB)
174_574bf0f8d992b.jpg 800X935 px

jpg  NOVI_back-top.jpg (55.38 KB)
174_574bf104d0f0f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2016/5/30 8:50

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
They certainly work, but they a: are less efficient than either rootes or particularly twin-screw lysholm superchargers, and b: make less boost throughout their range until fairly high rpm because they're not positive displacement. If you want your power over 4000 rpm, an axial or centrifugal compressor works well (but if so, why not use a turbocharger?) If you want it off the line, you probably will be more satisfied with an Eaton supercharger off a Mini or something.

Posted on: 2016/5/30 18:34

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.