Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

CA18 Ignition Upgrade
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been covered many times but I can't find any good info as far as a comparison between different setups.
I'm wanting to know if there is any clear winner between the different ignition setups that people are running on their CA's. e.g. Bosch coils, MSD coils or why would you not just go for a straight replacement like the Splitfire coil packs? Is it just replacement cost when it fails?

I am currently around 170kwatw but want to set it up so it's reliable anywhere up to 240kw mark.

Also, people talk about having to adjust the dwell map with aftermarket coils. I have no knowledge in this area at all! I'm running a Haltech E8, will this require a re-tune with an ignition swap?

Any info appreciated, (especially from someone who has done it) cheers guys.

Posted on: 2017/3/5 20:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CA18 Ignition Upgrade
Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
I run a Bosch/MSD (LS1/LS6) coil setup on my CA. Actually it's more like the IGN-1A coils.
For the power you are after they are all pretty much the same. I personally don't like coil on plug due to the head soak on the coils for moderately modified engines.
There is really no need to go to CDI even with high boost levels, so save some coin and just buy LS1 coils. Mine is a race only CA with greater then 10.5:1 compression running 22+ psi boost, no need for CDI.

You should know the specs for the coils when you buy them (dwell times and voltage compensations) and tune it into the Haltech.
To get to your 240kw goal you will have to make other changes anyway. So batch them with the ignition upgrade and re-tune once.

Good luck

Bryan

Posted on: 2017/3/6 10:27

Re: CA18 Ignition Upgrade
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
I've been talking to the guy from TechnoRage Developments on Facebook. He is making plug and play harnesses for Audi R8 coils for the CA18DET. Cancels out the standard igniter module which is problematic and doesn't need changes to dwell times.
Sounds great to me!!
Has anyone had any experience with this set up?

Here's a link to video..
https://youtu.be/VLDAxQ9BpPw

Posted on: 2017/4/14 3:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.