Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: A16 - Concept
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
LOL 182hp for 7k whatever you want to dream let it be.
I believed my Select Maz 13bBP made 312hp ate then went
straight to Rank Rotary and reality was 60hp lower.

Nick, yes some morry guys did! supposedly or Austin midget/spridget guys
but we dont have any further info on them only one Reubs on datsun1k.com
has wont be finished till his other projects are.

Posted on: 2018/8/6 12:49

Edited by D on 2018/8/6 13:07:51

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Benny if I read your post correctly your drivetrain loss is 50 horsepower?

Posted on: 2018/8/7 2:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
I guess the number misalignment can be attributed to the Engine dyno guy is different to the chassis dyno guy and different machines obviously. I put more value in the chassis dyno results. The chassis dyno operator is well known in the circuit and drag racing circles and typically the power readings are conservative. e.g on numerous occasions his conservative power rated tuned racecars have driven the doors off other machines with pronounced higher outputs. I see it as nothing more than a tuning aide.

Posted on: 2018/8/7 2:53

Edited by benny on 2018/8/7 6:39:09
Edited by benny on 2018/8/7 6:39:59

-----------------------------------------
1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB110 Coupe Track Car
1970 KB10 Coupe
S13 caliper b...

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

D wrote:
LOL 182hp for 7k whatever you want to dream let it be.
I believed my Select Maz 13bBP made 312hp ate then went
straight to Rank Rotary and reality was 60hp lower.

What ever floats your boat I guess. If I wish to spend my money on a relic of an engine to produce higher HP than it was originally designed to do, it doesn't make good economic sense, however that's where the satisfaction comes into it, to make that sort of power. The money can mostly be attributed to quality components, machining time and treatment processes such as Nitriding, in the interest of reliability. Things you do for naturally aspirated. Bang for buck however, its a more viable option to fit a snail to the side.

Posted on: 2018/8/7 3:02

Edited by benny on 2018/8/7 6:44:08
Edited by benny on 2018/8/7 6:44:41

1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB10 Coupe
S13 caliper b...

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Benny I suspected as much; when I had my car on the chassis dyno it was a mustang dyno which are more conservative than the Dyno Jet units. While the 99whp was less slightly lower than expected I do know another dyno would have likely read 7-10 hp more.

While my fabricator buddy keeps proding me to put a small block V8 in the car but I enjoy the class I'm in and I really enjoy flogging the 100 horsepower wonder. I get to drive some seriously fast car wile instructing at track days but there is something about the classic driving a slow car fast that hasn't gotten old even after 34 years with the car.

Posted on: 2018/8/7 5:08

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I hear you Benny. Every motor I have had built has been Nitrides , Shot Peened , O-Ringed. Many say waste of money , but I look at it as insurance ( to a degree )

D , I hope you had better luck with Rank Rotary than me . In 98 I bought a 10 sec engine package for $11K and after about 800 Meters from leaving their shop BOOM !! I was less than 2 mins form picking up my 4 yr old for Xmas shopping in Highett. Oh and VCAT laughed at me stating there is No Warranty on a 10 sec engine and awarded Rank Rotary court costs

Attach file:

jpg  1998 rx4.jpg (33.29 KB)
14887_5b69984d2cca1.jpg 330X169 px

Posted on: 2018/8/7 13:56

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
I have no doubt people hand out their money to others to get big power from an A series but to hallucinate it made more than Nissan works sunny cars is frankly well... hilarious like a Benny Hill episode. Nissan works would be gutted to race such a dreamboat.

Nick, Rank Rotary started off good like many workshops but most rotary places where very
environmental by re-using parts which should have been thrown out. Really sorry
to see that happened to your car and surprised there was no cool off period or did you pay
it in installments? Pity we didnt have Rohan Ambrose in those days for quality workmanship.
I ended up rebuilding my own which lasted whole seasons rather than becoming Rank water sprinklers in short work.

Posted on: 2018/8/7 15:50

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Hey D , the Fire Forensic stated my carbon converter / charcoal filter ( ?? ) had the fuel lines backwards , filled up and overflowed onto something and KA-BOOM. He said I managed to get to where I was on fuel in the lines. later I found out 1st yr apprentice did it . I jumped out at about 45 klms on fire on my left side. ( thats what I call a real hand grenade lol ) I swear the front of the car lifted . The photo shows the main force of the heat. . My old mock rx3 ( 808 ) in 86 was done by Rank / Moffit . Excellent job , notorious in Dandy. ...PS would have Luv,d to have run you then

Posted on: 2018/8/7 16:33

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

D wrote:
I have no doubt people hand out their money to others to get big power from an A series but to hallucinate it made more than Nissan works sunny cars is frankly well... hilarious like a Benny Hill episode. Nissan works would be gutted to race such a dreamboat.

I normally dont bite to these types of jibes. but David, Really????

To compare my build to Nissan works engines, is not like for like. for exeample being 200 + cc's larger than TS Cup A series, @1525cc, running it on e85 and 15:3:1 static comp. As I have said many times, a Dyno is a tuning aide, the numbers ultimately mean jack #OOPS#. If the TS cup regulations were open to anything goes, im sure higher power output were very much doable.

So just to be absolutely clear, you're asserting that i'm dreaming that the race prep engine is capable producing in the vicinity of 120 HP at the wheels.

Posted on: 2018/8/8 4:44

1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB10 Coupe
S13 caliper b...

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
We know that SCCA racer Dave Patten's A15 made 156hp at the wheels, that's the night figure I've seen for an A15. Benny's motor isn't particularly radical.

D at the risk of being contrary; people have been developing A-series engines long after Nissan stopped. There are people in Japan and the U.S. that are getting more than the factory did 45 years ago. This applies to most manufacturers whether it's A-series L-series or BMC A-series or whatever. Take a look at what guys are doing with flat head Ford V8s.

I don't have the Dyno sheets to back it up but I do know that guys here in the U.S. using A13s in D-Sports Racers we're getting quite a bit more than Nissan did. This is because they were not constrained by sedan rule sets. I know this because I was told so by someone at Nissan Motorsports. These guys went to E15ET heads on the A13 block and that got them 168whp (remember they are mid-engine cars using a Hewland box) I was told E head was worth 10% over the A head on these motors, so that makes an A13 putting out 150ish at the wheels.

One thing to note on the D-Sports engines is they were rebuilt after every race; at the end of every day they'd inspect the oil filters (metal screen sandwich type) for signs of deteriorating bearings. I saw more than one changing things like valve springs and bearings overnight. Once they went to motorcycle engines the A-series became even more obsolete, not necessarily because of power but because the bike engines ,are the same power and went several races before needing anything more than an oil change.

Posted on: 2018/8/8 5:17

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.