Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

lhd to rhd gearbox diffrences
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
say i got a box from America and wanted to put it in my car is the clucth and stuff going to be diffrently orientated and make it difficult.

would it be better to try to modify the box or attempt to run the clutch cable to the other side? or have i got it all wrong because the clutch is the same anyway?

i guess the diffrence could just be in the extension housing but are these removable on the B310 5-speeds?

is there any other problems i might have?

any ideas anyone?

for someone with a lhd ill tell you that rhd cars have the clutch cable come down to the right hand side of the box which connects to the lever on the right hand side, are lhd gearboxes like that or do they have the clutch lever thing on the left hand side?

Posted on: 2002/11/4 5:41
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: lhd to rhd gearbox diffrences
Home away from home
From Auckland N.Z
Group:
Registered Users
why the hell would u want to import a box all the way from america? a bit complicated!!

Posted on: 2002/11/4 12:10

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
LHD 1200 manual boxes used a hydraulic clutch. So you might be in for some surprises.

We've not really talked about this before. The implications of using a LHD 1200 gearbox.

Being a CA18 conversion thinker, I never really thought about the original A-series gearbox having to need special (for Aussies) mounting points for the clutch slave cylinder.. So don't expect it to have a place for your clutch cable. I'm normally more interested on how to convert a 1200 to hydraulic clutch master cylinder so you can use any other kind of gearbox, depending on your choice of engine..

Chris.

Posted on: 2002/11/4 13:12

From Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Group:
Registered Users
*******WARNING*********
Physics geek joke ahead!
Anyone who actually finds
humor, should seek help!
*******WARNING*********

Doesn't the Coriolis effect cause everything to spin backwards on the other side of the equator?
Wouldn't that make our US trannies run backward for you?

Seriously though, since several posts have covered the subject of hydraulic conversions, you should be fine using an LHD tranny.

Posted on: 2002/11/4 17:08

From Arlington, TX, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dimlight65 wrote:
Doesn't the Coriolis effect cause everything to spin backwards on the other side of the equator?
Wouldn't that make our US trannies run backward for you?

This would explain the S2000 engine! Maybe it spins clockwise here, but counter-clockwise in Australia?

Did any markets get a hydraulic RHD 1200? If not, maybe you can use bits from a 1600? I'd say ditch the cable and mount the pedal box and clutch master cylinder from another Datto. That way if you want to switch trannies (or engines ) later, you can.

Posted on: 2002/11/4 21:26

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
The hydraulic clutch for the 1200 works exceptionally well. The pedal effort is extremely light, but with good feedback. The only downside is the original cylinders tended to leak after a while.

Ditch the cable.

All you would need is ... a clutch master cylinder (and a place to bolt it) and to hook the link from the master cylinder to the existing clutch pedal. And of course the line from the master cylinder down to the clutch slave cylinder. I would think this should be easier than adapting a Lancer brake booster ...

Posted on: 2002/11/6 5:07

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Check out the detailed diagrams of the hydraulic clutch in the drive train photo album.

Posted on: 2002/11/9 19:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]