Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

a15 engineers cert
Guest_
anyone know of an engineer in melbourne
that would sign off on the a15 install.
ive got disk brakes installed already, just need the cert.
looked at the a12 option... too much $$$ for similar power (a lillte more) but lees potential in the long term.
its either this ir ill keep the head for future projects and sell the block, rods and pistons.

this is the relevant traffic authority rules:
"11. REPLACEMENT ENGINES

An engine which is of a type offered by the manufacturer as an option for that vehicle may be fitted provided that:-

All other related components including structure, suspension, brakes etc., are equivalent to those fitted to a vehicle of the same model supplied with that engine type as optional original equipment by the manufacturer, and
Acceptable evidence is supplied which certifies that these components are fitted in accordance with factory methods and the vehicle in its modified form is safe and complies with the applicable regulations for that model vehicle.

An engine which is not of the same type as offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle as original, but is similar in power, weight and emission standards to that of the original engine, may be fitted to such a vehicle. If alteration to the vehicle's frame or structure is involved and specially fabricated supports or structures are used an Approval Certificate must be supplied.

Where it is intended to fit an engine which is significantly different from that offered by the manufacturer as original or an option, (e.g. four to six cylinder or six to eight cylinder), then an Approval Certificate is required as evidence that the vehicle in its modified form is safe and meets all the applicable construction and emission regulations for that model. It is recommended that a VASS signatory is consulted before commencement of this type of modification. "

an engine not fitted but simiar on power etc may be fitted and an engineers cert is only applicable if strutual mods are required is what i understand so maybe we dont need enginners certificates.. need to find out more.

Posted on: 2004/1/1 5:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: a15 engineers cert
Home away from home
From wodonga, victoria
Group:
Registered Users
ring or go to the vic roads website to see a list, there are heaps in melbourne, try find one in wodonga and thats a different story.

the website will show you a whole list of the.

Posted on: 2004/1/1 5:50

Home away from home
From Tas
Group:
Registered Users
Unfamilia - What is this install into is it a ute?

Just thought I'd mention that in some states a larger engine swap can be easier in a ute because it can come under a "Commercial Application" therefore having slightly different and usually slightly better rules regarding a larger engine displacement.

Just a thought

Posted on: 2004/1/1 23:44

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, l think it's pretty stupid. The engine bolts straight in, with little modifications....but you do still need an engineers certificate.

When l spoke to a "VASS" engineer, he told me that if the engine in stock form was over 10% power increase you needed a certificate. So this means that any "A series" engine except an A12 would need a certificate.

You also have to be careful of all the pollution gear. If like me you have a later model ute (81), you need to ensure that the engine's pollution requirements are the same as the model year of the car (including factory carb, air box etc etc)

Anyway, one of the best guys l've heard of is in bayswater, just around the corner from nispares. Haven't seen him myself, but will be in a few months, when mines done.

Give Dale a call from nispares, and ask him for the guys name and number. He has done heaps of datsun certificates, so he knows what he's talking about.

Posted on: 2004/1/1 23:53

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
but there is documentation from nissan stating the a-15 has 69hp, the same as the a-12 so therefore it should not require engineering

Posted on: 2004/1/2 0:13
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

Not too shy to talk
From Oroville,Calif. USA.
Group:
Registered Users
I am so glad,that we,here ,in California,dont have to worry about having an engineer(book-smart moron,as we call them-chances are,they never turned a wrench in their life!!)telling us that our cars arent legal!We have inspections here in the US.,but they arent that involved!!Here, in California,any car-1974 and older, is exempt from smog testing,and can be registered with simply,a title,and proof of insurance--No need for any authoritive figure to even see it!!ONE BETTER!!::: In the state of OKLAHOMA,If you see a car sitting in a field,with registration out for more than 6 months and you want it,you can legally DRAG IT HOME!, and go through a process called FORCED TITLE(title 42) with the okla tax commision,and for the grand-sum of $77.00,yOU NOW LEGALLY OWN THAT CAR!NEW PLATES,AND ALL!! Insane, dont you think? I did just that with a 64 ford fairlane 2-door that was sitting on the property My wife and ai bought out there.I lived in Oklahoma the better half of my life, off and on.My entire family heritage started there. It is funny to think that there are places on this earth that you cannot build a car how you like it,as this country has loop-holes that permit you to do whatever you want to your cars!!EXAMPLE: theres a guy in YUKON,OKLAHOMA that built/daily drives a 71 MG MIDGET,equipped with a 350 chevy engine,and turbo 350 trans.TALK ABOUT A HAND-FULL!!! He has a web-site,but I cant find/remember how to locate it. Inspection would be nice here,as long as they stayed within the mechanicals like brakes,structure,lights,you know, mechanical things!It would be a lot safer here,that"s for sure! Tom S.

Posted on: 2004/1/2 6:24

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Dont think its a prob with utes cause some came with the a14 (? is that right?) theres a 10% capacity limit from original unless it came with bigger cubes in other models.
I had a ke25 with the T series engine and it was passed with no probs cause the japanese english original manual didnt state anything bout it not being available here.
It was a 2t (1600cc with 3t crank and other bits to make it 1900cc) and they were straight forward after seeing my little green and black factory manual.
suckerss
Otherwise if it came with the later A12 engine then you can grind the engine number and put the original numbers in by the help of a dodgy mechanic which are as common as sparrows. Oh yeah dont sell your original block to anyone

Posted on: 2004/1/2 9:06

Guest_
ok no dodgeys will be done.... as with the 10% rule, thats what the vic roads guy said but the road sftey "tech head" guy could no answer that no structual mods woul dhave to be made as it uses the same mounts in a ute.
Also although overseas models had the a14, it was not released as an option in 1974 acording to the "tech head" guy so that rule does not make any difference to the car.
they keep moving the gaol posts with every kick.

anyone looking for a cheap a15 block, rods and pistons (oil pump and oil pan included).
easir to bolt a15 head onto a12 block and wind in some advanced timing for more bang.

Posted on: 2004/1/3 12:02

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
If youre gonna go a12 might as well take her up to 1300cc with bigger pistons.
I reckon though you should put it in and go to register or whatever youre gonna do just before closing time or be last on the list. Then they just wanna go home and get you out of the way which means youre likely to get off easy. Always worked for me.

Posted on: 2004/1/3 12:14

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Does this mean you aren't going ahead with the a15??? If you've got a 74 ute, then you should have no problems......

I'd call the engineer, let him know what you want to do..he'll tell you what else you need, then pay him and your off.....

If they are the only mods (engine & brakes), then it'll get through easy.....if you want to do it without an eng cert, this may be a little more difficult....

Lets not forget the fighter plane engine in the chevy...if thats allowed on the road (even though its limited) then anything is possible.

Dont listen to vicroads people....as one of them actually told me..."we dont have a clue about the technical side of things, we just do the paperwork"!!!!

Posted on: 2004/1/4 0:48

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.