Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

sr20 alternator wiring??
Home away from home
From Brissy
Group:
Registered Users
hey all, I need some help wiring up my sr20 alternator to 1200 wiring?? allready connected up the power wire and the earth wire now there is two wires left. one is white/blue and the other white/red. the wires from the alternator side are white and white/red. the white wire is also much larger than the others. I do not what to connect up??? cheers

Posted on: 2004/11/12 8:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: sr20 alternator wiring??
Home away from home
From Little Rock, AR
Group:
Registered Users
As far as the alternator wiring goes, you already got the thickest white wire on the SR20's + terminal of the alternator hooked into the 1200's White/Red alternator wire....that's +12v. The black wire on the terminal hooks into the 1200's black wire which is basically just grounded. The other two wires from the 1200's alternator connector (Yellow one and the White/Blue one) are easy to figure out, but I just cannot remember off hand which one goes to which, but will find out tomorrow for you.

The white/red wire from the SR20 alternator is for the charge light in the instrument panel, and the thicker white wire is also +12v. I'll get back to you by this time tomorrow.

-Andy

Posted on: 2004/11/12 12:13

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Was just discussed earlier this week: The answer was to disconnect the external regulator, then connect the "L" terminal of the new alternator to the "L" wire of the B110 wiring harness. This can be done at the external regulator connector by jumping two wires together.

See Wiring for B110.

Posted on: 2004/11/12 17:13

Home away from home
From Little Rock, AR
Group:
Registered Users
I read through that writeup on "Wiring for B110" it's a really good writeup that would've helped me out a lot if I had come across it sooner.

Anyways there was something written there that I don't fully agree with. The grounding wire kits that people are putting on newer cars DO help out, and in many cases add power! I was a nonbeliever at first until I saw them used and they did add power and when I tore apart my 180SX I understood why it would add power. There are LOTS of electrical parts on newer cars, especially with EFI and distributorless ignitions. There's so many precise electrical signals and pulses flowing through your car's wiring that some signals can get confused or not operate at full potential because they are not grounded very well.

A larger, thicker, and shorter wire will carry a larger flow of electricity and offer less reistance than a smaller and longer wire. Most people only apply this to the + wires, but the same goes for ground wires, they need to be just as big. When you connect the negative wire to your car, you're also relying on a possibly corroded piece of metal (the body) to transfer that electricity to everywhere else. Well, the more grounding points you have, the better that negative current will be able to flow, the less resistance you'll have for an electrical item to operate and thus, it will work better.

It's the same principle as going with a thicker power wire when you move the battery to the trunk really. In any case, some of my buddies with 180SX's actually introduced me to it when they said it made their car run a lot better and faster. So I decided to suck it up and buy a set and was pleasantly surprised! I didn't feel a huge power gain, but it ran a lot smoother and felt stronger at higher rpms. In addition, other electric items worked better, my windows rolled up a little quicker and my lights brighter. It isn't a huge difference, but it was noticeable and that's enough for me to know that it works. Results may not be the same for every car, but after dissecting a 180SX wiring harness I understand why it doesn't ground very well. Bottom line they CAN help a newer car run better!

Posted on: 2004/11/12 23:39

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Good comments, and if it works it works. I've updated the Wiring article to address this.

Posted on: 2004/11/13 7:49

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
the white/red wires are the acc. wires and the ignition wires. i own a b13 nx2000 witha sr20 inside :)

Posted on: 2004/11/22 6:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]