Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

CA18DET Wagon is go
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

long time listener first time caller. anyway... after driving around my $248 1200 wagon for the past six with all the stoc goodies, including monster four wheel drums, i have just got my CA turbo in and running! the body loox rough, paint is faded, panels have dings but i'm not going for a show car.

basic specs
-fully rebuilt Ca18det, race bearings, molly rings otherwise standard with s13 box
-s15 jap spec t28 turbo
-massive front mount, about a metre wide, but still hiding behind the grille (it was cheap)
-shortened Hilux 4.1 LSD
-R31 front struts, rotors and calipers
-Z31 300ZX 15 x 6.5 rims

soon to come (after running the motor in)
-Z32 Air flow meter
-GTR injectors
-tuned standard ECU

hoping for about 180rwcillerwatts

installation done in my driveway and abandoned carport next door by myself, with the help of a few mates on little bits (1200rallycar, Daveman) and all parts sourced from the wrecer or found cheap. all up owes me roughly four grand. still not finished, and visually the body is average but under the bonnet has been done properly and it should be pretty fun to drive.

i would post some pics if i new how

Posted on: 2005/1/28 20:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CA18DET Wagon is go
From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
nice to see wagon owners on the site!!
Id like ro race a wagon one day...the fastest IPRA car nationally is Wayne Wakefields Mazda 808 wagon...the thing is awsome.

Anyway 180 rwkw will be a stretch without good head work your combe will be lucky to achieve 135rwkw.
the exhaust ports are a particular weakness in the CA...you need to open them up.

Posted on: 2005/1/28 21:14

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
nah dude, you're wrong there. my mate has a standard CA18DET in his 1600 with only a T25g and a 3 inch exhaust he made 142 atw with no tuning. i have played with these motors a fair bit and other people's stats will also show this to be the case. 135 could be made with even a standard turbo no sweat!

Posted on: 2005/1/28 21:52

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
You have little faith converted. Without the injectors or airflow meter I would presume he would be already around the 135rwkw mark with a little bit of extra boost.

I suppose we will see

Posted on: 2005/1/28 21:58

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
true, i guess we will. i'm only hoping, but i will be very dissapointed if i didn't see the sunny side of 170. on late model twin cam turbo motors head porting etc. would only be required to extract the last few horsies. there are plenty of bolt on's that could easily see a CA turbo past the magic 200 atw.

Posted on: 2005/1/28 22:49

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
many other CA projects out there?

Posted on: 2005/1/28 23:25

From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
easy in words but what are you budgeting??? for 180-200 rwkw???
I was at a dyno test of a very solid CA18DET just last monday night and it was pulling 160rwkw and this thing was well sorted.

Posted on: 2005/1/28 23:38

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
the cranc has been machined, race bearings fitted, bloc (my fucin letter * for *eyborad doesn't wor*) honed and dec*ed, pistons fitted with molly rings. head has had the valve stem seals replaced and has been surface ground. so the engine is brand new, with a couple of good bits in there.

the turbocharger is a T28 ballbearing off a japanese spec S15200sx. it pushes through a massive (probably too big but cheap and effective) cooler so inlet temps should be fine. exits in a 3 inch exhaust. it is all in and running, having covered about 400*illometer's already and running a poultry 6 psi.

very "basic" but all done properly. with the GTR injectors (440cc) and the 80mm air flow meter from the 300ZX and definately the most important thing... a proper tune, this is very realistic. i am aiming for 180, not 200 remember. i already have the injectors and AFM, and my computer has been modified with a socket to accept a reprogrammed EPROM chip. the engine needs to be run in for 2000 *m's (what the engine builder told me) and then the power up wil begin. honestly its not that expensive if you do all the wor* yourself.

i also have a wide band oxygen sensor and am ordering an EPROM burner to play with the tuning a bit myself, with help from people wiser than me, of course.

Posted on: 2005/1/29 0:01

From Melbourne,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Good to see another ca powered 1200 on the streets off melb hopefully get back into mine in a couple off weeks just waiting for new shed to be built then im back into it

Posted on: 2005/1/29 2:18

From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Good to see another wagon on the road I bet its a sleeper with the ca18 stuffed in there. Even with a stocko engine it will be lots of fun to drive.
Craig it depends on the dyno. Ive seen stock as a rock ca18s with bigger turbo +booost making 200+rwkw. My ca made 170rwkw with basically stock engine and baby gt25 (290hp model) Im kinda diasapointed in the figure mine had on monday night (its only a number) Im sure Ill be more than happy once i drive it. Ill be picking it up next sat morning. Ill bring that sump guard down if you still want it.
Cheers Andrew

Posted on: 2005/1/29 11:06

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.