Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

120y For Rally Car
Quite a regular
From Bendigo, Vic (Australia)
Group:
Registered Users
Hey everyone...

Just after some advice / suggestions for my 120y (2 Door Sedan)

Its all stock standard at the moment, engine is like new. Was rebuilt about 12 months before i inherited the car from my mum, then i drove it for 9 months and its now been un used for a while.

Id like to do some work on it to make it more suited to rallying / bushbashing.

Anybody have any suggestions on things i could do.

The suspension is pretty much shot so ill have to fix that.

Posted on: 2005/2/21 3:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 120y For Rally Car
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Perth W.A
Group:
Registered Users
The Best things to do is find out the regulations and limitations for rallying before you do any mods, so you can make sure you don't break any rules. let us know how you go because i would like to know a bit myself but have never gotten around to doing anything about it.

Posted on: 2005/2/21 3:35

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
If memory serves me correct, George Fury, rallied a 120Y, fitted with a "L" series donk. Could have even been the elusive " LZ " twin cam.

Even the A-Series engine can produce lots of fun.

Benny

Posted on: 2005/2/21 4:34

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
One of the guys in a car club I am in used to own the George Fury 120y. It was a 2.4l twin cam.

I will try to get some more info from the meeting this thurs and I will even see if he can swing some pics for me.

Posted on: 2005/2/21 10:47

From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Start small ie Khanacrosses and work your way as budget and experience increases.
Youll have lots of fun and you be surprised how well the thing would go against some other cars with alot more seriousness attached to them.
One thing Im passionate about is seeing people get into motorsport and staying in it...I see all too often people paying big bazoolas and either :-

A) wont drive it hard enough cause there is too much invested in it therefore are always stressed out about their car

OR

B)drive them way beyond their own limits and smack the thing into a wall or tree and then have to give the "please explain" to the wife or bank manager or both and they are then extracated from motorsport forever, never fulfilling their full potential.

Posted on: 2005/2/21 12:23

Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

converted wrote:

A) wont drive it hard enough cause there is too much invested in it therefore are always stressed out about their car

OR

B)drive them way beyond their own limits and smack the thing into a wall or tree and then have to give the "please explain" to the wife or bank manager or both and they are then extracated from motorsport forever, never fulfilling their full potential.

Very true statements. I started off doing autocrosses in a subaru legacy family wagon, was my daily driver. Then for some unknown reason I got into 4 wheel driving, but hey that has tought me lots about "placement" and what happens "if". Just start out slowly and build it up.

Good luck to you.

Posted on: 2005/2/21 12:40
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.... Bruce McLaren

Not too shy to talk
From Adelaide, South Australia
Group:
Registered Users
If you want any info on how to build 120y rally car, you are welcome to email for information, i built my car up from scratch 3 years ago, and always interesting in getting more 120y's out there rallying (yeah i know im a sick man!)

The story about fury's car is very impressive but the rules got changed in the early 80's, this car was called a group G car, where you could put any motor and g/box in any car and go and race, this got very dangerous after a while and thus why the rules changed.

Rally cars are now built PRC (production rally car)rules, which are stated in the CAMS motorsport manual.

Posted on: 2005/2/22 0:58

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
I use my bog stock (Except locker) 120y for motorkahna with good results....she is great for it, but for Kahnacross....the a12 just dont got the power to keep up with the opposition.

Posted on: 2005/2/22 10:31

From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
Group G hey, well I have a new catch-phrase I can tell people when I'm talking up my coupe project

Actually, I haven't looked into the cams rules all that much but in the PRC (mabey I'm just going off on the wrong class here) there are different classes and I'm almost positive engine transplants are accecptable in them.

Take for instance my friend Nathan when he was getting his car ready for the Mt Stuart Tarmac Rally, His R30 Skyline is running an RB30E motor and it jumped him form P? to P6 or something.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 11:27

From Wagga Wagga, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
a member of my motorkhana/khanacross club said he raced george fury back in the day he said that georges 120y had a fj24 engine out of 240rs and was a monster

just thought i would clear that up

Posted on: 2007/8/28 11:46

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.