Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

H75 head and flywheel step
Just can't stay away
From Auburn, Washington
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, I pulled my wrecking yard engine apart last night. I bought it because it had several interesting features about it. It was in a 1979 wagon with a 5 spreed, I got the 5 speeds too. Not too bad for $120. The block did not have the normal A14 cast in it, it was stamped on a pad above where you'd find the A14 cast. It initially caught my eye because it has a silver foil sticker on the oil cap with Japanese writing on it. I believe it is a Japanese domestic engine that was brought here as one of those low mileage replacement motors. A Datsun mechanic friend of mine that serviced these cars in the 80's confirmed this when he first saw it. He said he'd seen alot of them. As I checked this engine out at the wrecking yard, I noticed it had no emission equipment on it except a pcv. In fact, there are no provisions for putting an egr, air pump or anything like that. The intake and exhaust manifolds are very "clean" without any of the extra passages, ports and fittings. It has the H75 head with oval ports and the center stud. When looking at the Datsun heads, the H72 came out in the US in the 1978 B210GX. In 1979 all the heads had some type of emission equipment. The #''s on the Datsun heads, (H72, H95, etc) increase as the later versions came out and superceded the earlier versions in production cars. From this I am concluding that the H75 head is later than the H72 and also being without emission equipment, is preferable to the H72 as I believe it would have had some design revisions. The tech section lists the H75 as being a single or dual carb head. If you have an H75, you might want to hold on to it. After I clean up the H75, I'll get the H72 off the shelf and cc them both, maybe take a few pictures.

Also, I was going to get my flywheel surfaced and I couldn't find the spec for the step in the flywheel. Factory spec is 0.005-0.008" step proud where the disk contacts the flyhweel. Most outfits just grind the flywheel flat. If you do grind it flat, the clutch is going to slip before long because you can't get enough clamping pressure.

Posted on: 2005/5/8 1:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: H75 head and flywheel step
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chowdozer wrote:
I noticed it had no emission equipment on it except a pcv. In fact, there are no provisions for putting an egr, air pump or anything like that. The intake and exhaust manifolds are very "clean" without any of the extra passages, ports and fittings.
Is it possible that youi have an industrial engine that was used at some time in a car? By the time that A14's were invented, the smog thing was cranking up big-time in passenger cars, particularly in Japan.

Posted on: 2005/5/8 4:18

Just can't stay away
From Auburn, Washington
Group:
Registered Users
The industrial engines I have seen were usually based on the 1171 cc A engine and had the different distributor location. Maybe there were others that were based on the A14/15 but I haven't seen any. I haven't been looking either though. Several things lead me to believe it was not industrial engine. The H75 head wouldn't seem to be on an industrial engine. According to the tech section at this site, the H75 was for single or dual carbs. It is an oval port head. I feel it would be unusual for a forklift to have such a head. I would expect to see a head more along the lines of a round port that would optimize low rpm operation. The exhaust manifold also does not have the egr hookup. The boss is there, just not drilled but the manifold does have the exhaust flapper. I think a flapper would be unusual on an industrial engine. The real story will be told when I degree the cam. I would expect an industrial engine to have a completely different cam profile. I'm also curious as to why the engine size is stamped on the block and not cast in. Like they had a bunch of blocks and built engines to order, putting the engine size on after they put the crank in? Whatever it is, it is in very good shape and will be the basis of a good buildup.

Posted on: 2005/5/8 5:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I tend to agree with your observations, & many industrial engines came with updraught intakes, but this is a simple swapover. None the less, industrials do usually come with the smaller ports to boost gas velocity, & it's your manifolds that are without provision for smog gear. I wonder if it had been a dedicated LPG engine. They don't need smog stuff & if it is an LPG engine, it may have more compression than a solid fuel engine. [gasoline /petrol]
I'm clutching at straws here.

It will, as you say, be a good basis for a buildup. Let us know about the cam timing when you find out. Factory specs seem to be measured at zero lift. This is not really a satisfactory measure, but it sounds more impressive, so it may be necessary to measure it the same way, just to be able to compare to factory figures.

Posted on: 2005/5/8 5:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]