Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

first outing for the coupe in years!
Home away from home
From Taupo New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Just to let some of those who might be interested, I took the coupe out for its (and my!) first event in almost 5 years. Was a dual sprint meet at Taupo circuit, on saturday.
Was extremely wet, to the point that quite a few competitors decided not to go out until the rain eased after lunch. But I was so keen to get some miles up, the rain didn't dampen my spirits enough to keep me away!
Didn't really get to post any quick laps or anything, visibility was very poor, but had some fun, especially some close racing with the a very tidy and genuine XU1 torana. Also found that there are a few things I will have to do to the car, and that I am rustier than the datsun itself!
Had heaps of fun despite the miserable conditions. Bring on the next one! Hope it's dry....
Open in new window

Posted on: 2005/6/26 9:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: first outing for the coupe in years!
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Christchurch. NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Way to go Morgan! Looks like you could do with a front Airdam, and you need to fix that hole in the window or is that where you put the money in?

Posted on: 2005/6/26 11:32

Home away from home
From Taupo New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
no that hole is not big enough for the amount of money I've put in lately!
Nah it's not that bad... but yes I do need a front airdam, stirlingmac has the one that I like, I'd like to get a mould made for it.
But thats further down the list..... it's a long list
First up wil probably be something to stop axle tramp, wouldn't mind a set of those John Taylor springs maybe??? The aussies rave about them.

Posted on: 2005/6/26 11:50

Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Not just the Aussies rave about John's springs! I have exported a few JTS parts to a top secret location in the Deep South. I am impressed that you were axle tramping in the wet - imagine the skip she'd be dealing in the dry. Coupe look great for first outing - does it have history?

Posted on: 2005/6/26 15:18

From Perth W.A
Group:
Registered Users
Looking good man, what are you running under there? i like that fat rubber...

hope you have some more outings and put up some more pics

Posted on: 2005/6/27 3:04

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
bugger,that looks like fun.

might be the rear springs just need rebuilding.
they could be rusted together.just take the springs apart,clean them up & put them back
together.or,while they're apart,put a half leaf
into the front half of the spring.

i reckon it needs a rear spoiler as well,because
i always felt the rear end lift before the front end.that big rear window is a perfect wing section,which lifts the back end.

Posted on: 2005/6/27 3:07
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

Home away from home
From Taupo New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting about the rear spoiler thing, I hadn't thought of putting a rear one on really. We were only doing about 140kph on that day, in the dry we would go a bit quicker but Taupo is a tight circuit, so I've never had it fast enough to really notice any lifting. Still in 3rd gear too, so might be time for the 4.9 diff.
teretonga- car doesn't really have history, I built it up from a std car about 7 years ago. Runs an A15, 2mm over with 45s and a Kelford cam, not full race (still makes some torque down low). Used it for rallycross and gravel sprints with the occasional circuit day. I'm planning to develop it slowly, while still using it, over the next while.
Got a few little bugs to sort out first though, has a miss over 7000rpm which I suspect might be the limit of the ignition system, which is standard, so I think I'll modify one of those electronic pulsar dissys with an electronic coil for a good strong spark.
And the axle tramping thing... should look at the springs like b310gx said, but I'll suspect it will need more than just a clean up, what are those JTS springs worth for a pair? My lowering blocks wont be helping things either.

Posted on: 2005/6/28 7:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]