Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Linking Photos
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Christchurch. NZ
Group:
Registered Users
It's seems that this datsun site is getting slower by the day, and it raises a point as to whether people are using this site to host pictures and linking them to other sites, using most of the available Bandwidth.

Now I'm not bitching, as I have been guilty of this in the past, but I thought I might point out a few sites that can host pictures for people, These sites crave pictures and it makes your linked pictures load alot faster on other forums etc (way faster than 1200.com anyway).

[url=http://imageshack.us/]Open in new window

ImageShack

Posted on: 2005/8/16 12:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Linking Photos
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
I don't see it happening. The only place on datsun1200.com they can 'host' photos is in the Photo Album, and I don't see too many off-topic photos there. They are mostly about 1200s, some about brother B-cars, but few unrelated to B10, B110, B210 or B310. Or is there something I'm missing?

Posted on: 2005/8/17 3:46

Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dattodevil wrote:

I agree 100%. I myself have uploaded enough pointless photos over the years, so I wont criticize. Hosting pics on another site and linking them is easy enough.
Datsun1200.com is continually growing still to this day.
A read of this thread will explain to most what the biggest problem with the continually growing site is and that thread is a few years old now.
We cant criticize new members for doing it, But most members who have been around for longer than 1 year should understand the relevance of Dattodevils thread and consider why its worthwhile linking pics regardless of their subject matter.

For this same reason I think it would be worthwhile for the Branco Bros ( if they get the time ) to consider regularly deleteing ( say every 2 months ) all threads in Off Topic, Meetings and Classifieds that are older than 1-2 months.

These are just thoughts that us as members should always think about. Bandwidth does cost money and 1 Turbonator ad is embaressing enough dont you think?

Posted on: 2005/8/17 9:57

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
What is the problem with the site? I didn't see it on that thread. I reckon it's because we have 20 people on average on the site now, instead of the average of 4 at a time it used to be.

Yes, linking to photos on other sites (like your Photo hosting sites) will prevent Datsun1200.com from slowing down. The only those other sites will be slow

Posted on: 2005/8/19 4:19

Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
What is the problem with the site? I didn't see it on that thread.

Did you read it?
Nothing is wrong with the site.
Bandwidth costs money. Money of which the Branco Bros cough up.
If we as a club can slow down the use of bandwidth, by doing simple things like linking pics, instead of uploading them. Do you not think it is worthwhile?

Posted on: 2005/8/19 9:45

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, I read it. You make a good point about linking to help reduce bandwidth needs.

Perhaps we should do more linking of less-significant pics, and only put the "important" ones in the Photo Album. The only downside is that linked pics tend to disappear (occasionally within a few days), and sometimes I research topics and read older posts and the linked pic is no longer available.

Maybe the best solution is to donate more to the club -- if the Web Masters would plan to get higher bandwidth ...

Posted on: 2005/8/20 2:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]