Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

63A tranny Questions
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
I have a 63a transmission I was told came from a 78 b210 here in the states, and that one year they had the 63a.

What clutch does it use? not the standard A15 60a clutch

Tailshaft = 1-24 also, mine is the same on input and output.

There are 2 input shaft sizes common, 13/16-18 and 1-24 That applies for any of the cars we'd be interested in.

I test fitted it to my spare a15 and 63a together, yes it fits. The flywheel is the same 180mm one that the regular a15 used. So what datsun has a 180mm 1-24 spline clutch?

I may have to call the good parts place.
Pictures:

I'm guessing that the distance from the center of the shaft to the bottom is the same as a 60a, i've never seen that tranny hooked up out of the car. If it were for the L series it shouldn't fit at all ? right??

Posted on: 2005/8/24 21:20

Re: 63A tranny Questions
Just can't stay away
From Auburn, Washington
Group:
Registered Users
The 63A was indeed a one year only item, B210 GX in 1978. The 63A is an L series transmission, with a special sand cast bell housing or front section. You can see this readily if you compare the sand cast front, with the much cheaper to manufacture die cast section at the rear. When it's pointed out, you will be able to spot one from 25 feet away while walking through the bone yard. Normally, OEM's stay away from sand casting if possible due to the higher cost versus die casting. The 63A was a limited production run, so it wasn't worth the expense to tool up for die casting the part. The 63A uses an L series output yoke, and the clutch disk will have an L series spline. Both input and output splines are the same. I'm not sure that an L disk will fit though, being it is probably going to be larger in diameter. Your best bet for a clutch disk is to get your old one rebuilt. The distance from the in/out centerline to the bottom of the case will be larger on the 63A, as the spacing between the main and countershafts is larger, meaning the gears are larger in diameter although it is going to be negligible. The 60 or 63 refers to the distance in mm between the mainshaft and countershaft. The bottom of the 63A might hang a couple mm lower, maybe 6-8 mm max?

edit:
BTW, it's entirely possible that the 63A sand cast bellhousing will fit the standard shift pattern L transmission. I have not investigated that.
end edit.

Posted on: 2005/8/24 23:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
i have answers!

there are some incorrect numbers out there!

if you get a clutch 180mm 7 1/8 1-24 is the right size!

I found a clutch - SPX D48593
and a kit! - SPX Corporation MU475371D

don't know what those cross reference to, i had to dig to find that, my parts shop couldn't find that # and they're really good, all the mechanic shops around here get their parts from them.

Posted on: 2005/8/24 23:56

From Toowoomba, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
i did some digging aroud in brisbane for the same thing and found a joint in albion called direct clutch who do a 180mm 1/24 clutch plate for $88
couldn't get a part number as its a made to order thing, and i got the last made one.
still have to get to the wreckers and buy a output yoke and get it fitted to my tailshaft.

will any output yoke off a 180b/200b box fit??

Posted on: 2005/8/25 1:31

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
I have a 1977 factory manual (north america). It lists the 63a as the only five-speed that year.

I believe all US/Canada B210s with 5-speed used 63a.

In 1979, the B310 came with the smaller 60-series 5-speed.

Posted on: 2005/8/25 4:18

From Toowoomba, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
i just bought a clutch plate to suit.
the Australian part# for 63A tranny to A15 engine is NSD030U and is made by DAIKIN
all I need now is an output yoke.

its OD 180mm
ID 125mm
SP 24
MD 25.6mm

Posted on: 2005/8/25 5:28

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
the 63a 5 speed i've got is an l series one,because it's behind an l18,but it uses a a10
stanza tailshaft yoke.the yoke is the same for the auto or the manual.plus the uni's are the same size,so i've got the stanza front yoke on
a 1200 ute tailshaft i had converted to rebuildable uni's years ago.fits in perfectly with the stanza rearend in the sunny.i've also got
a japanese stanza tailshaft,but haven't compared the lengths just yet.

Posted on: 2005/8/25 6:35
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
I think the tailshaft is the same length as with the 60a. I wonder if the input shaft is the same on the L and A series 63a boxes, all the bigger datsun splines were 1"-24 until the 300zx turbo or something. Not that it matters, just pondering. So are all the internals the same as the L series 63a. can you buy a regular 1.0 5th gear to put in one and make it like the close ratio 63 whatever that's even more desirable?

Funny that you could put the entire 200sx engine and drivetrain into a 210 with a little work.

i was about to be stupid and ask if i need a different flexplate for the 63a, i think not, but .do I?

Posted on: 2005/8/25 7:12

From Toowoomba, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
your right b310gx, i went to the wreckers and any tailshaft yoke off an aussie 180b/200b will fit sweet. i also got my tailshaft done some time ago to 180b size renewable unis (highly recomended.) so it'll be a hammer off hammer on job for me. I'm going later today to source a slave cylinder so i'll post part numbers for that one too.
One point of interest though, looking at the speedo cable drive on the box, the standard 1200 cable still screws on and operates fine, but the little plastic driven gears inside the box have a different # of teeth,17 for 60a and 19 for 63a i think. I put both boxes in forth,(1:1) and in one full rotation both boxes have five and 1/2 driving teeth pass the same point. I think this means that your speedo will read less than your actually doing, as the gear with more teeth will spin slower. Have to wait till it's on the dyno to find out for sure.

Posted on: 2005/8/26 2:59

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
can you take the speedo drive gears and swap them?

I have to use GPS for my speed, mine only goes to 85 mph so i never know how fast i'm going ( about as fast as the other cars )

Posted on: 2005/8/26 5:16

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]