Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

L20B into 310 Sunny? S13 struts into 310?
Not too shy to talk
From South Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
G'day,
Looking at turning a sunny wagon into a cheap track thrash car/mountain bike hauler/parts runaround...

Now, stock they have a severe lack of both power and handling, so...
To remedy the power situation, how hard would it be to wedge an L20B into one? It should be easier than the earlier cars, right?
Has anyone attempted this conversion?

For handling, I was thinking decambered main spring pack and extra leaves in the rear - the wagons are leaf aren't they?
For the front, I was wondering if anyone has converted to S13 silvia struts/uprights in a 1200/120y/Sunny. People seem to be fitting them into just about everything lately (AE86, HR31 skyline and so on) and secondhand coilover/damper adjustable units are cheap and easily available. The need for 15" wheels is a pain though. If its a no go, I'll try something a bit more traditional.

Finally, wheels, how would something like 15x6.5" +17 fronts , 15x7" +15 go for fitting?

Sorry for the heap of questions!

Posted on: 2005/8/30 3:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: L20B into 310 Sunny? S13 struts into 310?
Home away from home
From Christchurch, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
hey mate, i have done this conversion on my b310 coupe, and so has A14force 'Bart'. its fairly straight forward, what you need is a l20b out of 910 bluebird as the sump is already in the right shape for clearence. the xmember needs at least 25mm cut out of its overal height to clear the sump. for the mounts, i used a12 brackets and 910 mount rubbers, the mounts on the crossmember need to be slotted so you can move the motor backwards n forwards to get appropriate clearence. you will also need to convert from cable clutch to hydroulic, thats fairly simple, use either a 180b or 200b cylinder as they are best to use, i used a 910 one and that was a bitch to setup. ummm....yeah bout it from what i remember, the rest is fairly straight forward. hope all this makes sence.

Karl

Posted on: 2005/8/30 3:40

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
I just got mine on the road tonight. It goes really good. You will have to recess the Xmember like karl said. If you start with gear from a bluey, it will be easier. If you score a bluey as a donor car, you might as well use the bluey struts as well. All you have to do is put the sunny strut tops on them, and get a ring made to adapt the bluebird strut to the sunny steering arm.

Like karl said, you'll also need to change to hydraulic clutch, but when you gat all the gear it becomes pretty self explanitory.

Posted on: 2005/8/30 9:57

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
so it got cert all good? sweet as! are you having problems with your diff yet? i have given mine a thrashing once or twice and it takes it very well! must catch up sometime

Posted on: 2005/8/31 5:30

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
I'm going to track down some more springs tommorow, so I can build a phantom grip for it. With a bit of luck the diff will hold out for a while. But with all that down low torque, I think it's days are numbered.

Posted on: 2005/8/31 9:18

Home away from home
From Victoria, Australia.
Group:
Registered Users
Why didn't you guys just use a Stanza engine X-member? They are a direct bolt in. And you use the Stanza (or 200B) mounts aswell. Theres no cutting or stuffing around with mounts/rubbers etc...
Though you may have to slot the X-member engine mount saddels to lower the L20 by a suitable amount (because its 20mm taller).
A L18 bolts in no probs though.

Posted on: 2005/8/31 9:57

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
problem is lurch we didnt get stanzas here in nz, if we did then thats the way we would have gone, and besides, always good to have a challenge!

OOoo phantom grip, how can one of those be made?

Posted on: 2005/8/31 16:44

Home away from home
From Victoria, Australia.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
problem is lurch we didnt get stanzas here in nz, if we did then thats the way we would have gone, and besides, always good to have a challenge!

Fair point!

Posted on: 2005/9/1 10:33

Not too shy to talk
From South Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I had no idea the Stanza X-member was astraight bolt up, all the steering stuff bolts on ok?

In that case I'll get a sunny and a stanza and go from there. L18 would be okay actually, just thought L20 would mean less spend for more torque...

Posted on: 2005/9/1 14:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]