Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

5 speed questions
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Guys I have read through some or the FAQ's and tech section but now I am just more confused with models etc.

I'm chasing possibly a Datsun 5 speed to put behind a Brittish Leyland A Series turbo in my MG Midget. There is a kit in the states to do so and it lists the box required as from a 210. It has the part number starting with an F.

What boxes here in Australia am I looking for. I know they are getting rare but I'm not sure if there are any hybrid combinations available.

I do have a Toyota box to use as well and knwo there is a kit at Dellow for it but they do not supply a gearbox crosmember and the kit requires cutting up the transmission tunnel whereas the Datsun box requires no body mods whatsoever.

Anyone got any bboxes for sale at a reasonable price??

gavin

Posted on: 2005/10/5 1:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 5 speed questions
Home away from home
From Bunbury Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
not too sure what datsun 5 speeds have a model number starting with "F" you could try to get a 63a box as they are very strong and shouldn't give you any troubles.
You say you have a toyota box, is it a 5 speed celica box? if it is you can use the 3spd datsun Automatic bellhousing to couple the celica 5 speed to your A series engine as it is quite a common transplant, you would then need to modify your tailshaft to take the toyota splined drive input at the back of the box. I live in Australia and you don't see many 5 speeds in top condition pop up very often, although it probably doesn't help that I live in western Australia also known as the wait-a-while state!

Posted on: 2005/10/5 2:30

Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Gav - you are chasing a 63A gearbox which has L series internals but an A series bell housing. I have one at the moment but I'm in the US. The 60A 5 speed which is getting rarer in Aus will be too weak for your turbo application.

Posted on: 2005/10/5 2:30

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Tamworth , NSW
Group:
Registered Users
the crossmember is the easy part to the dellow conversion.
i used some 50 x 6 steel for mounting the box on with some sandwich plates to hold it to the floor. very solid, prob the most solid bit of the car.

Posted on: 2005/10/5 3:10

Home away from home
From Stray-ya
Group:
Registered Users
I think the "F" code comes before the number i.e. FW60a. I have a one of these (overdrive 5 speed) in my ute and have a similar problem- I have already got the box, but It's not going to to cope with extra torque if I want to go for a blower or turbo.

If you are aiming for a decent tourque curve, you would be better off to bite the bullet and go for a celica conversion. Gearbox crossmembers are not difficult to make.

All of the 5-speed a-series boxes are expensive- up to $700-800 for a good one..... the bloke who owned my car before me was offered a grand for the box

Posted on: 2005/10/5 3:32

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
pepper. grunterhunter are you guys bearing in mind what car I'm talking about. The MG Midget has a cross member built into the chassis hence it is also a structural part of the chassis given it's a convertible. Also the transmission tunnel is fully floored front to back so it's not just a matter of fabbing a cross member and bolting underneath. I have to cut out the original member and then restrengthen the car and cut out a section off the tunnel floor for access.

I know at the end of the day it's a better option box wise (Toyota) but no cutting and shutting is also attractive. Looked at teh Datsun box a couple of years ago and steered away due to availability etc but at least then a few of my Morrie mates had then for the Datsun A series into Morris Minor conversions.

I guess the cost of the box on top of the conversion kit puts it out for me. So will probably still chase up the toyota option.

I have 2 T50's to choose from the one usually behind the 4A motors and one from a 2T/3T motor. Most probably will use the 4A one as the shafts are bigger and I can swap the 2T rear section over and get a shifter than comes out closer to standard position.

Posted on: 2005/10/5 11:51

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The breakdown of the sample gearbox code F4W60L is, as best i remember,...
F = Floor shift [R = Remote as in column shift]
4 = four speed
W = wide ratio. This is the standard four speed designation.
60 = This is the 'series' of the gearbox. It represents the distance between the center of two parts, but i forget which. [main shaft & cluster shaft?] A series Datsun gearboxes came in 56, 60, & 63 series.
L = Long. This refers to the length of the rear extention housing. This is the most common size.
This particular gearbox came from an Aussie [B310] Sunny wagon with A15 engine.

Knowing this, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out some of the other codes.

The MG Midget is a Roadster. A Convertable is a four or five seater.

A US model 'Datsun 210' is correctly known as a member of the B310 family [AKA Sunny in Australia] & the US model was available with a 60 series gearbox & quite possibly the 63 series gearbox as well. The five speed versions were both overdrive gearboxes i believe.
Can anyone confirm?

Posted on: 2005/10/5 12:07

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
ive been keeping one eye open for a 5 speed that would fit my a10. so i think maybe the celica 5 speed conver is the go coz of the prize of A series one.

Posted on: 2005/10/6 6:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]