Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

the ultimate ca18det into 1200 conversion information webpage ( current topic struts and brakes)
Home away from home
From penrith
Group:
Registered Users
As a few ppl on here no i will be starting a ca18det conversion on a 1200 wagon start of next year. im just chasing up and compiling information on the conversion itself and sum information on 1200's in general. To help with my conversion and others with there's and ppl who in future will do the conversion.

What im saying is im making a webpage with alot of information on the motor conversion (ca18det particularly) and am asking anyone out there with ANY information to post it on this thread, so i can put it on the website.
pictures, specs, info, anything really
ill post up the website mid-week once i finished with the set-up of it.

Posted on: 2005/10/23 11:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: the ultimate ca18det into 1200 conversion information webpage
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I'll help you out with any questions or seemingly unsurmountable problems during your conversion. A conversion is about problem solving and fabrication. If anyone contemplating a converison can not do both, then they have tough times ahead.

The documenting of the 1200/CA conversion would take hundreds of pages and 100s of hours of accurate drawings and templates to help other people to do the conversion reliably.

Good luck though, I've never tried documenting it bacause I don't want feed others enough info that they get half way through the conversion, they get stuck, and the only way they'll ever finish is that someone like me would have to go and clean up the mess, otherwise it costs a wad of cash to "undo" the damage by paying for a real mechanic. If a CA/1200 owner doesn't understand what every wire does, they are in trouble when it comes time to fix the problems, be prepared to pay double the hourly mechanic rate + parts to get things fixed. Even if it turns out to be a faulty spark plug..

If you still want to document it online, beware of potential enemies. Those who may blame your 'potential' misinformation for costing them money, from decisions made using information supplied by you and your website.

...maybe I'm getting old?

Posted on: 2005/10/23 14:12

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Mr_Turbo

I have on a very modest scale been documenting my A12 to A15 "conversion" on a web site...it takes a lot of space yes, but can be rewarding for both yourself and others.

To be able to explain something to others forces you to understand it yourself...this only helps you out more pushing your understanding to another 'level'

I think if you hit the www button on my profile on this post it goes there.

The pages are not fancy, (done in Frontpage even) - but they roughly communicate the message.

So have a go! I would be very interested to see the result, as my next project after the A15 is likely to be a CA18.

Good luck

Posted on: 2005/10/23 14:25

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
hey i am half way through a conversion on my wagon, but i have run out of money and have to wait a while to finish. i'll try to take some photos and get them to you as i do some work

Posted on: 2005/10/23 16:14

From Perth Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
wiring diagrams and bits and pieces:
http://datnet.org/new/techinfo/

fly by's conversion pics:
http://datnet.org/flyby/

just double check with jon (aka fly by) before ya use stuff, but i'm sure he'll let ya use what ever you need from his site

Posted on: 2005/10/23 18:33

Home away from home
From penrith
Group:
Registered Users
ok just gathering sum info...
wat struts n front brakes u guys running? wat brake booster?
any info on any strut conversion will be appreciated and posted on the website ( with your credits)

Andrew (cadet1200) is running...
Brake System
Brake mount adaptor to allow S13 Silvia Calipers to bolt on, S13 large rotors on modified 120y hubs,
Sunny Brake Booster with an S13 Silvia master cylinder attached. They bolt together after you do a
little bit of filing to the master cylinder mounting holes. The drama is mounting the Sunny booster to the
firewall as it needs to be spaced out from the firewall and mounts with 4 bolts instead of the two
for the 1200 Master cylinder.

ALSO

Stanza struts will fit the 1200 but have to be from 1980 or newer ( imported struts).
Needing lower control arms( note: are longer means more negative camber), ball joint assembly,
and castor rods (bigger in diameter)/ possibly 120y castor rods.
The steering arms and tierod ends bolt up. Aftermarket 1200 springs fit the stanza struts

ALSO
180b struts with 1200 springbase welded to them, skyline brake master. skyline hydraulic clutch pretty sure r31 skyline parts, a mate running this set up

ALSO
180b struts with 1200 springbase welded to them, cl valiant discs. sunny dual cylinder brake master, thats my old set up

ALSO

bluebird struts with 1200 springbase welded to them, apparently this strut allows more room to fit a wider tyre. with little spacers. a friend is running this set up

what u guys running? info on them? pics? nething guys ?

Posted on: 2005/10/24 12:30

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Have you got someone to host your website yet?

Otherwise I might be able to send you in the right direction.

Posted on: 2005/10/25 13:58

Home away from home
From penrith
Group:
Registered Users
yeah i got a host set up already

still waiting for ppl to reply with info
once i get atleast one section finished ill post the site up

Posted on: 2005/10/29 1:08

You can view topic.