Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

63A Box
Home away from home
From Huntington Beach, California
Group:
Registered Users
Damn, the more I read here about 5-speeds, the more confused I get. I have what I believe is a 63A 5-speed box. As luck would have it, I purchased a Morris Minor Van from a fellow here in the US, and he begged me to take a Datsun motor and box he had purchased that he planned to put in it. I almost didn't pick them up, but I am glad I did.

Another thing is I believe this box has a sand-cast housing. Compared to the other 5-spd I have, (stripped from a '79 210) there is a big difference in the look and
feel of the housings. This one is very textured, and the other is very smooth
Here's the box in question:

Open in new window

Here is a link to what is identified here as a 63A and I believe they are identical. (Mine obviously hasn't been cleaned)

63A pic on this site

I apologize in advance for riding this little pony too far, but do I have a 63A here?

Thanks for your help!

Posted on: 2005/11/12 23:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 63A Box
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
my 63a pics

I have one, it should say 63a on it, if it's a 63a reverse is on the left and down from first gear.

It also has a larger input and output shaft.

Posted on: 2005/11/13 3:12

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Duncan, If it has 63a on the extension housing then its a 63a gearbox.

Posted on: 2005/11/13 5:32

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I cleaned off some grease (per 210Sleeper's pics) and indeed found the 63A markings on the box.

I haven't installed it or tried it anywhere, but it appears to have the dogleg shift pattern. Reverse gear is to the left and up, and first gear is to the left and down. It looks to have the factory shift knob, and that's the legend on it

The A14 that came with it has a H72 head on it, which I gather from the tech section here is one of the more desirable heads.

Thanks for the help. I can't believe I got lucky on this one. Usually it's the other way around.

Posted on: 2005/11/14 1:49

Home away from home
From Alabama, U.S.A.
Group:
Registered Users
I have the same tranny. love mine , some don't like the dogleg tranny though. I do like the bigger input shaft though. Mine came from a north american 78 B210 GX. I run mine like the devil , no prob's

Posted on: 2005/11/14 3:30

Just can't stay away
From Auburn, Washington
Group:
Registered Users
You know it's a 63A box by where the clutch fork exits the bellhousing, (opposite side as a 60A), and the sandcast bellhousing you pointed out. If you see those two things, looking for the model # is just a confirmation. It's a 63 series because there is 63mm between the mainshaft and counter. Hopefully you got the driveline and other bits, flywheel, release bearing, pressure plate and clutch disk. Pressure plate and disk you can buy, but some parts stores might be confused. As another member pointed out, just remember '78 B210 GX.

Posted on: 2005/11/14 3:40

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chowdozer wrote:
Hopefully you got the driveline and other bits, flywheel, release bearing, pressure plate and clutch disk.

I'm pretty sure the motor and trans were mated at one time. (I got a box with it that had a lot of parts like the fan, dizzy, etc, etc) The release bearing and flywheel are there, but I don't believe I got the pressure plate or clutch disc. I will probably rebuild the A14 and would get a new pressure plate, disc, and bearing anyway, so that's not a real big deal.

The flywheel is sitting outside and has some surface rust on it, so I should move it to the garage, clean it off and oil it.

Thanks again for your help. This board is a great resource.

BTW, I have had my 1200 for a two weeks now, and I'm having a helluva lot of fun with that thing. It's a lot of fun to drive and I get a lot of looks from the Los Angeles import/tuner crowd. This area is ground zero for the wannabe fast and furious crowd

Posted on: 2005/11/14 4:04

Home away from home
From Stray-ya
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I apologize in advance for riding this little pony too far, but do I have a 63A here?

Giddy up yo! Ride that pony for all its worth. If I had a 63a behind my A-15 instead of a lowly overdrive 60a I'd be digging the spurs in as well. Looks to me like you will have to find a nice fat forced induction torque curve to compliment it

Posted on: 2005/11/14 4:53

Home away from home
From Alabama, U.S.A.
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah it is funny watching the newer model tunner guys when u pull up in a 1200 coupe . they act as if they never seen one before

Posted on: 2005/11/14 12:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]