Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

John Wayland, an introduction
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hello 1200 fans,
I just discovered this site today. I have two '72 1200 sedans, both converted to electric power. I've owned 'Blue Meanie' since 1980, and 'White Zombie' since 1985. I'm
in Portland, Oregon. That's all for now.

See Ya........John Wayland

Posted on: 2001/1/18 6:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: John Wayland, an introduction
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Heya John,

I've seen your website before and was amazed!! I lost the link a fair while ago but from what i remember they were quite fast down the 1/4 mile!! What made you go for
a electronic powered 1200 over a turbo, rotary or even V8??? Anyway, welcome to the list, hope u enjoy :)

Scott
Davo (1200 Coupe with 150hp A14)

Posted on: 2001/1/19 2:40

Webmaster
From Lisbon - Portugal
Group:
Webmaster
Registered Users
Hi! Welcome to the club, an electric 1200 :) nice.

You have a homepage somewhere, don't you?

daniel

Posted on: 2001/1/19 4:28

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Hi John,

Welcome to the 1200 list. I know an electronic acquaitence of yours - Tom
Walter.

Dave Lum
'72 1200 getting SR20DET
www.datsuns.com

Posted on: 2001/1/19 10:55

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi 1200 fanatics,
I

Posted on: 2001/1/19 4:19

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hello 1200 fanatics,

pt. 2.....

While I was playing around with electric power and still being weaned from gasoline, I picked up a

Posted on: 2001/1/19 4:21

Home away from home
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
If only you could have been teaching my class when we did DC motors - Im an apprentice electrician, and that class was sooo boring, but a bit of hands on, 1/4 mile practical
work would have spiced my class up!
carefull with those batteries, my boss got burned by about 20 in series, and had his wrist watch melted off(its ok, he was an arse hole).

well done, let us know when you are in Australia.

Linc.

Posted on: 2001/1/19 7:22

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
John, you seem to be the knowledgeable and qualified person to ask a couple of long time pondered questions. How much does it cost to convert a 1200 to electric drive? You were saying you
have been doing close to 100 MPH in 1/4 mile, how long do the batteries hold up on full power and how long do they hold up under normal driving to and from work conditions? I have sort of
dreamed about doing an electric 1200 but the engineering and cost would too be difficult. I am happy you have joined our little club. I bought a blue 1200 sedan in 72' and put over 300,000
miles on it. I have always loved the 1200.

Posted on: 2001/1/19 10:45

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Its this sorta stuff that makes me wonder why the world still relys on fossil fuels to power our cars. You would have thought that car companys would have put some dollars towards some sort
of electronic car by now. As John said, theres NO emmisions keeping the air clean, the engine needs no servicing, rebuilding or tune ups, power seems to be not a problem, and obviously seems
to be the better choice out of the 2.

John, if u did your first conversion in 1980, there was obviously the electronic motor technology to push your 1200 down the 1/4 in a descent time, but not one new "small car" is powered by
electricity!! New small cars are still pushed with sluggish combustion engines and will run down the 1/4 in 20sec!! So again i wonder why car companys havent taken this idea further 20 years
after u had found electric motors!! Theres only a few reasons that i can think of - 1. The cost of recharging the battery would be more than the cost of fuel for the same amount of miles. 2.
If all cars were electronic, the power drain would be alot more and would need more power plants - somthing governments wont spend cash on if they can help it. 3. If all cars were electronic,
the cost of burning coal is more than the cost of burning fuel for the same amount of miles.. 4. Oil giants of the world are controling the industry therfore not allowing it to be introduced.
5. Electronic motors are too expensive to build. 6. Electronic motors cant be run for too long as they run out of power. ie. no long trips across the country!(same goes for fuel tho, u
eventually run out of juice) 7. Car companys are scared they will lose money if the idea doesnt sell?

I cant think of much more. But if you think about it, all these reasons are pretty lame or easily fixed with time or money. So again, i wonder why the standard of engine wasnt changed to
electric in mid 80's or so - for small cars at least. Interesting indeed. I would love to hear what the rest of u guys think about this....

Scott
Davo

Posted on: 2001/1/20 1:55

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Well, Scott, the economy is based on oil. We went off of the gold standards 40 years ago. Making cars that do not run on oil products is like cutting your own throat. As for long
trips, the hybird gas/electric has been out for a while now, it gets too much economy to satisfy the status quo. California did a remarkable thing in the late 80's by mandating 5% of
its cars to be alternative powered cars but they rescinded the mandate in the early 90's. When fossil fuels are gone, Hydrogen fuel seems to be the best alternative.

Posted on: 2001/1/20 8:12

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.