Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Ca18DET and skyline 5speed install
Home away from home
From Bunbury Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Gday gang, before I go and make another life changing decision I was wondering if there were any famous last words of advise out there for someone who is considering buying a CA18DET and skyline 5 speed and attempting to shoe horn it into my 1973 1200 sedan, which is a factory auto by chance.
I would love to hear the finer details of the conversion that are overlooked from start to finish, like fuel system, intercooler plumbing, gearbox mounting, drive shaft fabrication, aftermarket computers, custom engine mounts and which crossmember to use.
I know this must have been talked about over and over again but I have been searching heaps of history and still am unsure if I should take the plunge and install a set up into this Open in new window

Posted on: 2006/6/14 14:56

Re: Ca18DET and skyline 5speed install
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
That's what my first install was. Exactly.

Not too hard, shifter comes up in the factory hole, and no tunnel mods required.

Will need maddat crossmember, or measure up your own and do it yourself.

All of this has been discussed before. If you have any pointed questions, myself and many others will be happy to answer them.

Most Skyline gearboxes have worn out synchros that are good for nothing except being crunched at 4500rpm or higher.

I can wire a CA with almost my eyes closed, and have recently helped a fella in Albury get his going properly over the phone. After being charged $800 for another local expert to stuff it up in all sorts of horrible ways.

Really think about wiring it up yourself. If you are good with a soldering iron and understand how relays work, you can do it.

Print out all of the CA and 1200 wiring diagrams from my website before calling me for help

Diagrams from my website

Posted on: 2006/6/14 15:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
so if you had the money to rebuild a stumpy box would they be any better off?

Posted on: 2006/6/14 15:12

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
It'd cost the same as 2-5 good condition CA18DET gearboxes. That's the problem.

But if someone had a good one, and they were happy with 120rwkW, they'd find the install time to be at least 16 hours quicker.

It's slower because handbrake need to be relocated, and tunnel requires modification for shifter area, even with an autotunnel..

Posted on: 2006/6/14 15:22

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Yikes!!!! after looking through those wiring diagrams I am freaking out.....and I am a refrigeration mechanic!
I was hoping it would be as easy as buying an aftermarket ecu and just hookng it up to the engine sensors, injectors, fuel pump relay and ignition side of things
how wrong I am!

Posted on: 2006/6/14 15:42

From brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Kev Rowley can sell you a complete wiring loom that will be ready to plug straight in. Don't freak out about the wiring as this conversion has been done so many times there are plenty of people who can help as Dattodude has suggested.

Posted on: 2006/6/14 22:11

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
yeah give it a go, you'll learn along the way and if you do it yourself you'll be able to maintain the mpackage yourself as well as diagnose problems.

on the wiring side, its very easy. i didn't even know what a relay was and by the end i had it sorted and it only took me a day to do. there are i think four relays that need to be put in. i promise its very easy! the steps have been listed and i'm sure you'll receive plenty of support from here

good luck

Posted on: 2006/6/14 23:12

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
jeeeeeze you guys make it hard! I have also just bought a race head, twin mikunis, speedway cam and extractors for $1250 to go into my A12 which should see a reasonal jump in power...and those parts haven't even arrived at my door yet! now I am considering a CA18DET swap I need to find out more about the swap details first

Posted on: 2006/6/15 2:41

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
i'm gonna assume your suspension and diff are all covered...

buy a crossmember

pull out a series and weld on a chain so you can still use it as a boat anchor (joke people)

convert the clutch pedal to a hydraulic setup. not so expensive but a bit of rooting around.

drop in CA.

wire it up

make or buy a gearbox crossmember

make or buy an exhaust

do intercooler and radiator. coolers are rediculously cheap now.

go to the tailshaft man and tell him your measurements and he'll make you one up. about $150. you CANNOT make one yourself

go rip skids and run a low thirteen with a standard setup. smile as you drive past your mate with his genIII

example of cost...
my mate just bought a nice 1200 sedan, then bought a smashed silvia. he has a welder and a few basic tools and with some help has just completed a CA18det conversion and so far it owes him $3500 including the car which was a shade over a grand.

datsun turbo.... the car you always wanted

Posted on: 2006/6/15 7:41

Home away from home
From Flinders View, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to jump on the band wagon but what Clutch pedal, master cylinder and slave do you use on the CA into 1200 ute conversion

Posted on: 2006/6/15 9:02

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.