Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

fuel tank issues - need osme advice
Just can't stay away
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
hey guys,

I am trying to decide which tank i should use in my coupe when i do the fuel system. I am doing a CA18DET conversion so i was planning on using the standard tank and a surgie/lift pump setup, but after speaking with phat_dat1200 he reckons the standard tank is too small even with a a15, ill be filling up all the time! i noticed in his build thread on datnet.org he is using an r31 tank, i just want to know has anyone put one of these tanks into a coupe before and if so was it overly difiicult??

I would rather put the r31 tank in cause i dont wanna be filling up every 100ks on the way to datnats 07 (finger crossed)

Cheers
Hayden

Posted on: 2006/11/1 0:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: fuel tank issues - need osme advice
Home away from home
From Gold Coast Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I have a sunny and I'm doing an SR turbo conversion and like phat_dat1200 I thought that the standard tank would be too small, and plus I didn't want to have any thing taking up too much space in my boot. So I got a S15 SR20 intank pump and I will be putting that into a custom alloy droptank, whick will use all the original mounting bolt holes and I will be able to get about 75 litres of fuel into it. Plus with the intank pump, nothing showing in the boot.

On a side note, do the R31 tanks have an intank pump?

Posted on: 2006/11/1 0:37

Just can't stay away
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
I thought of doing a droptank aswell, but just too costly im already way over budget almost double infact!!!

r31 tanks do have internal pumps too. I have heard of these tanks in utes and sedans but never coupes.

Posted on: 2006/11/1 0:46

Home away from home
From Gold Coast Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I know what you mean about your budget, mine went out the window when I decided to go for the SR20DET instead of an A15 with twin webbers (and I even had that motor in the car already)

Posted on: 2006/11/1 1:01

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
good thread.

Yes, the datnats is quite a drive, and filling up at every petrol station is a bit of a pain.

I figure you should be able to get there on less than 2 tanks of petrol from Sydney. Unless you are always on boost because of low ratio diff.. or have huge cams and bad tune. Should be pretty easy to stay below 8 litres/100kms, if you are in cruisin' mode

I'm using the standard 1200 sedan tank, but I like the idea of running a 70 litre tank. I might make that a mod for the future.

The R31 tank does have an intank setup. This has been used on 510/1600 fuel tanks in the past with some success.

In the meantime, I recommend getting a 20L jerry can, an fill that up at the same time so there's no chance of a 'out of fuel experience'..

Posted on: 2006/11/1 3:08

From Geelong, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
if you can get one into a sedan, you can get one into a coupe

from what i was told, you have to cut out the spare wheel well in the sedan and then put the r31 tank in its place(might do it one day as i have an r31 tank and im over filling my car up, only been driving it for 2 weeks)

so you might be able to do the same for a coupe. but im not familiar with coupes and where they have their feul tank is, might be a better non "cut half the boot out" way of doing it

Posted on: 2006/11/1 3:10

Just can't stay away
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
mmm im not real keen on hacking th boot apart, didnt realise you had to cut so much for the sedan, if anything it will be the same as the coupe. I think i will just go with the standard tanks setup for now, and if its a big issue ill do the swap donw the track.

Datto_dude: how is your sedan on fuel - like how far does a tank get you? and do you or anybody else for the matter kno what the size of the standard tank is?

Cheers

Posted on: 2006/11/1 6:12

From Geelong, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
standard size is around 40 litres

Posted on: 2006/11/1 6:17

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Closer to 35 litres on refill. I wouldn't count on more than that You can fit an extra litre in the fuel neck..but not recommended

Having no kinks in the fuel hoses connecting to the tank will allow all of the fuel to be used. But it is bad habit to drive with less than 1/4 tank. I ran out fuel once due to the hose being too long, and allowing an 's-bend' effect to occur in the the fuel hose from the tank to a surge tank under the car.
I run a intank pump now with a swirlpot inside the 1200 tank.

I reckon close to 350kms per tank when I had the standard CA18det installed. I now have fuel wasting 270deg cams, so that's no longer the case. I'll have to let you know sometime soon, when the car stays on the road for longer than a tank of fuel

Posted on: 2006/11/1 6:27

Just can't stay away
From Ipswich
Group:
Registered Users
Hey there.
I make up the drop tanks 4 the 1200 coupes. I put the R31 pump in the tank and it all bolts up the the oringal mounts, filler and breather. No need to cut up the floor. When u use the R31 tanks in the coupes u need to modify things and they hang low. My tank holds 60 liters. I can make u one if u want?
Heres a photo of it on my car
Trent Open in new window

Posted on: 2006/11/1 9:40

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.