Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Where to go from here?
Home away from home
From Penrith, Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys,

Just been thinking about performance enhancements that i could make in the future to my new a14 that has just gone into my ute.

My short term plans for the little beast now that the engine is in is to do a big strut conversion, with modified series one bluebird struts with lowered 1200 king springs going in with r31 discs and calipers, 120y swaybar etc etc, and just a set of lowering blocks(until i can find the time and money to get the springs reset) and new shocks going on the back. This will allow me to put my TRX rims on. I will then be looking to do other little bits and peices such as new dash, stereo, door trims, chrome bits and pecies, new glass and rubbers etc etc. This is all i can do on my very very limited budget (getting married next year) as i already have all these parts in my shed. I would love to strip it back and get it resprayed but just don't have the time, knowledge or patience to do all the hard work myself, and no where near the money needed to pay someone else to do it so yeah, that will have to wait.

Now in terms of performance i'm not sure where to go with it though and that's where i need some suggestions. I have just finished putting in a worked a14 with twin 45mm webbers, jts manifolds and linkeages, big cam, hardened and larger valve springs, balanced, ported and polished, JTS extractors through to a twin muffler 2 and a 1/4 inch exhaust. It still has a stock a12 gearbox and h165 diff. I will hopefully get it all dyno tuned within the next 3-6 months but was thinking of trying to add a few more mods to increase power before i get it all tuned.

So yeah what would people suggest. I want to keep it N/A and i don't want to go as far as pulling the engine or head out again and reworking pistons or valves or anything. I was thinking electronic ignition. I've heard it makes the engine run smoother and more fuel efficient but would it really increase power by that much? If so how do people suggest i go about getting the swap done.

Also the engine is running a standard fuel pump and system, so would a new electronic fuel pump, new fuel lines, lifter pump and surge tank etc make a big difference to performance?

I have a sunny smooth case 4spd box sitting at home too but i don't see how adding that will make significant power increase. May help driveability a little but as i hear they go the same as an a12 box but i could be way off. Am i?

Any other suggestions would be great.

I don't drive it much so it doesn't bother me to have it tuned right now as i can get by. So i want to make sure i do every performance mod i can before i get it all tuned.

I basically want to get the car down into the 15sec territory. I have'nt run it yet as it is down the 1/4 mile but i did race a stock satria gti and stuck with him neck and neck the whole way and apparently they do a mid to low 16sec standard so i should hopefully get there with a bit of tweaking.

Any ideas or experiences?

Cheers
Trav

*EDIT* WOOOOW!!! I didn't realise how much i was writing!!! It's longer than the freaking bible!!! Sorry guys, but at least you know you have the whole story.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 5:00

Re: Where to go from here?
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Please? Any ideas?

Trav

Posted on: 2007/9/25 7:16

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
fuel inject it

Posted on: 2007/9/25 9:45

Guest_
why, webbers can do better (looking at ange's ute)

i suggest a tune now to see were you are at(wish i could do same) then that may point the way for some imporvements if any problems come up (such as running too rich like me).

Also dont expect the 56a to last too long behined that combo on a a15.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 11:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Perth W.A
Group:
Registered Users
your next step may not be a performance upgrade as such but it will be changing a chicken bone to a steel rod, by changing that 4 speed out and sticking in a 2T or 3T toyo box conversion.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 15:00

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
The trouble with getting it tuned now is that i will probably want to get it tuned again down the track if i do any more mods such as electronic ignition or more to the point fuel system. So at a few hundred dollars a go it seems a bit of a waste of money. As i said i will hardly drive it anyways whilst i'm doing my strut/suspension upgrade and other interior bits and peices.

I 'm thinking i'm just gonna stick with the current box till it blows cause as i said, funds are tight and i just don't think i could afford the mods and fabrications required in doing the toyo box conversion at the moment. Also was thinking of doing the new gearbox, tailshaft change and diff rebuild all together when i have the time and money and when i can find myself an lsd.

So does anyone know what sort of effect the new fuel system and elec ignition will have on my setup. How much more power could i expect?

Trav

Posted on: 2007/9/26 0:58

Home away from home
From NSW, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Mate the electronic dizzy wont make much difference to performance unless you get it regraphed. and the electronic fuel pump will make no difference, your getting enough fuel im pretty shore (to rich maybe) the only thing i can recommend is a serious tune like maybe a dyno run. as recommended below it will get all the bugs out.
The main advantage with a 1200 is the weight!! go over your ute and see what can go or possibly be made lighter like any components in the interior, tray, anything. remove a few kilo's, this = cheap horse power.

Posted on: 2007/9/28 13:31

Big D

Quadruple Crown in 1980, the year my 1200 was Built.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]