Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: E-16 crank in an A15?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
When I was a lad, I was told that the cast or forged crankshaft from a multi cylinder engine had journals.
Main journals & rod journals.

The term 'crankpin', apparently, was originally intended to refer to the separately manufactured pin that was used in built up grankshafts, such as might be used in single cylinder engines that were so common in very early automobiles & motorcycles.
The word was to flow into useage with multi cylinder engines as an interchangeable term with rod journal it would seem.

Is this all true? I don't know, but it was what we were taught & it sounds about right to me.

Posted on: 2007/12/4 14:36

Home away from home
From Albany, NY USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
There is a speedway competitor on this forum and also a crank machinist that uses the e13 series crank into a12 and also uses the ohc e15 head to make it an OHC A series.
Very interesting. Are there any posts or pics of this work? I would love to see more on this.Quote:
Another method would be to keep your a15 crank use the e15 rods and offset and resize the rod journals to increase your stroke.
I knew what D was referring to. In the US we call it "offset grinding" the crankshaft throws for additional stroke. Yes you will have smaller rod journals as a result.

Cheers,

Mike

Posted on: 2007/12/4 22:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Perth
Group:
Registered Users
I say if you want more inches stroke it
And I happily do it regularly

However... people sook and say the A15 doesn't rev like a 14 .... so whats your theory on a longer stroke ?

I think the torque is a bonus
I don't like revving the nipples off my gear anyway
I only rev my A15 to 7600 when I know it can and does go alot higher.
After a point though it makes less power and more noise and not much else

Posted on: 2007/12/5 0:08

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
From the start I said offset grinding the rod journals not the mains.
I would never recommend offset grinding to mains on a cast crank unless there was enough meat for it. Usually that isnt the case and you would need extra material welded on to allow the offset grinding. This is welding on a cast crank that I dont trust by local yahoos who will do it anyway not worried about the consequences.
Ive seen this done to suzuki cranks and some other engines with some having dire results. Its a risk Id rather not take unless the mains where cast large enough from the start hence recommending the rod journals be offset ground.

The latest 2ltr engines from toyota have massive strokes I mean massive as in 97.6 mm and beautiful mid range much like the bigger nissan QR25DE.

If you ask me a stroker engine with long rods is a match made in heaven. This is where you need a taller block though.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 1:10

Just popping in
From New Hampshire, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Guys,
I started this query with BlownB310 on a 210 e-mail list.

I race a Datsun 1200 Coupe with the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) in the GT Lite class. The car has an A15 engine. I was looking for options to create more displacement from the engine. The E16 is a legal engine for GT Lite, I was looking to find out if an

Posted on: 2007/12/5 17:25

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Dave having run a DSR for a few years I remember Duder's car but didn't realize he ran this combo. Can you tell us more about how the E15 head went on the A12 block. Also you probably have but have you checked with Zekert? I keep up on the whole SIR deal because John Spencer and I use the same machinist/fabricator.....lots of hot posts on GT racecar.

Tom Grossmann

Posted on: 2007/12/6 3:22

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
to ask a dumb question... E15 ( or E16... why, they're plentiful ) head on an A15? I'm sure everyone would like crossflow heads.

What's the deal with rigging up an E series head on the A series?

Posted on: 2007/12/6 6:23

From Darwin NT
Group:
Registered Users
its ohc aswell ???

Posted on: 2007/12/6 8:49

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Dave well come on board!!!

Those are little things to worry about considering the possibilities.

The big question is if 80mm wet sleeves are possible?

Ive been trying to work out for years is if its possible at all to use a design similar to renault sierra full sleeves by machining the bores out to make it fully wet sleeve style and have offset bores to accomodate 80mm bores. If possible this would be more reliable than a big bore 79mm which can crack eventually.

The other option is to use the Mexican j17 engine supposedly only avail in the Burrito nation. However i think this is a 3 bearing crank engine and with cast iron head????

Either way if 80mm with full sleeves is achieveable then you can have 1769cc with the standard 88mm stroke of the e16 crank or weld and offset grind the rod journals for 89mm stroke and 1789cc.

Another thing is you could tilt the A series even more on its side to increase the angle of the inlets and lengthen the runners (if allowed) to make full use of the torque and increase manifold air/fuel capacity before the restrictor. I found the driveability of long manifold runners to be awesome for mid range on most engines Ive had custom manifolds made for.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 10:26

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]