Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Where did you get intristed in the datsun 1200's ?
Just popping in
From Bloemfontein,South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
Back in 1975 (about 7 years before i was born) My father bought a Kalahari sand (light brown/yellow colour) datsun 1200 ute.It was his only transport for about 17 years.Nothing could stop this die hard bakkie.It was written of by the insurance 2 time first time was a cow and the second time was a drunk driver.Both times my father bought back the wreck and repaired it.A lot of minor bumps and shunts and 3 learner drivers (my mother,sister and me).With lots of miles on the clock and the body worse for the wear the little bakkie became mine in 2000 and i slowly started to restore and repair it but unfortunatly never finished it due to it being stolen in 2002 Skip forward about 6 years and i finaly found what i have been looking.A datsun 1200 in need of some loving attention.Now hopefully i can finish what i started back in 2000.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 21:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Where did you get intristed in the datsun 1200's ?
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Good family story.

My father bought a little Datsun 1200 2-dr sedan when I was in grade 12 school. He gave it to me to drive, which I did for almost 10 years.

Earlier he had a Datsun 521 pickup, brand new.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 4:29

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Schofields
Group:
Registered Users
just after Xanthia was born (our daughter), Luke was looking for a "new" car, and ound his 1200 sedan from some place (can't remember now) and then he sold it when he had too much to do for it to pass rego and with too little time to do it..it then became a junior sprintcar up newcastle way. Then about 6months after i decided i wanted a datto to rebuild...AFTER he sold all the really really good parts! that was when i was pregnant with Iestyn (our son)....must have been all those extra hormones going thru my body at the time!!!!!

then we got the ute shell which is still sitting in the garage in etch primer. Then the wagon came up for sale on here and we bought that and now all efforts will go to the wagon so that when its finished it will be my daily and we can take Luke's ute off the road and fix that up using the back end of my ute and the front end of his!

so that is where my interest in Datto's emerged, as for Luke's.....i guess he'll have to post as i have no idea!

kirstie

Posted on: 2008/4/10 5:10

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
I think alot of Datsun owners had Datsuns in the family growing up.

My father first bought a c210 Skyline in the early 80's. I hardly remember it. I was born in 81. That was sold and dad later bought a Datsun 1200 coupe in about 1988. I loved this car from the first time i got in it. The smell, the sound, the feel. We used to go on road trips to see family - everyone called it "the bomb" - but i had bigger plans.

When i was 16 - "the bomb" was mine and from there i've owned 4 coupes, a sedan, a wagon, a 120y sedan, a stanza, and a 260z.

10 years on, i now just have the 1 coupe. And its still a bomb..... with good bits....

Posted on: 2008/4/10 5:15

Just can't stay away
From Townsville
Group:
Registered Users
My first car was a Datsun 240K, nice car to drive couldn't kill it... typical Datsun. My whole life i've been around trucks and road transport and still drive semi's to this day, after driving these big things all day i didn't want a big car also.

Found my datto ute through a mate of mine, picked it up 3 years ago for $2,500, spent double that by now and i just can't get sick of driving it, it's fun, zippy through traffic with the new engine and turns lots of heads.

Does anyone get sick of being approached by strangers and being asked if they wanna sell there datto?

Posted on: 2008/4/10 5:28

Home away from home
From ACT Aus
Group:
Registered Users
i went to a street car track day at wakefield and a friend had a 1200 ute with a14, new suspension and a locker. he took me around the track and was sideways around every corner and i just loved the shape of the car and wanted one ever since.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 5:51

Home away from home
From South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
Just look at any Datsun 1200 and wonder why dont everone love them, as they are a work of art.

But seriosly, Datsuns have been in my family for generations now. My grandfather, father, uncles, my sister and myself have been driving them for years now. I am currently driving my 4th one now.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 6:12

2006 Ford Bantam
2004 Ford Ikon

Re: Where did you get interested in the Datsun 1200's ?
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I took up a new job in Goulburn in mid 1980. I knew that I would need to do a weekly commute from Sydney [about 140 miles/225k] & my 1939 Plymouth was going to be a bit slow [stock engine] & a bit thirsty [big engine] so I walked up the road to a used car yard & bought this nice little 1968 Datsun 1000 four door sedan.
My decision to go with the Datsun was linked to the fact that my Stepfather had been a half owner in a Datsun dealership in the late 60's & early 70's. His own 1200 ute was such a good vehicle that he kept it after he retired & it eventually became mine in the mid 80's.

I also acquired a parts book & discovered the wonderfull world of Datsun parts pricing & optional parts. It just grew from there.
I built a fresh 1200 GX engine for the 1000, including a new head & I added an imported 5 speed. [F5W56A]

This little car took me off to Brisbane, & over to Melbourne, several times. I had so much fun, so cheaply, for so long that I have been a diehard small Datsun supporter ever since.
The sedan has since passed away, [cancer] although I still have the mortal remains & it's organ donations will put new life in my 1000 Coupe.
My 1200 Coupe has largely replaced my 200B wagon as daily transport these days & I have so many parts, & so much factory literature that I can't see myself being without a B10 or B110 while I still hold a drivers licence.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 0:06

Home away from home
From sussex inlet, nsw
Group:
Registered Users
well mine began when my dad purchased a 1200 sedan to use for motorkhanas, khanacross and hilclimb and supersprint club stuff when i was about 5 or 6, and ever since then my family has been brought up on datsuns, all my 3 older sisters had 1000,1200 and 120ys. i bought my first sunny sedan when i was 10 for padock bashing and started racing 1200s when i was 12. over the years we have easily owned about 30+ datsuns for race cars, spares and rd cars. im only 20 now and have already had 5 1200's as rd cars. i think its mostly an addiciton, and u have to have a datsun fix.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 0:17
1994 mazda mx5 clubman (daily)
71 1200 coupe turbo khana car
71 1200 coupe hilclimb car

From Darwin NT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wardat wrote:
i think its mostly an addiciton, and u have to have a datsun fix.

oh your so right haha what started me off was my cousing dumping his 1000 wagon at my place 6 years ago?? (when i still was young at 11) and well after a few years i wanted a paddock basher so about three years ago i asked him if i could have it and well he gave it to me then i bashed around in it for a while then started stripping it done and restoring it so now it is in at the beaters getting the body done and since owning the first i have bought 2 wagons and now possibly buying a coupe I CANT STOP

Posted on: 2008/4/11 0:33

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.