Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: e16 crank
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
I researched the e16 crank into the a15 a while ago for a stroker and
found the mazda rods will fit from mazda e5 as they have 40mm big ends.
Pistons are plenty, all depends what bore you want.
e16 crank is a work of art with its 8 counterweights.
Lemonhead is the man who has gone further and done an 82mm sleeved e16
cranked monster. He is going full wet sleeve next which is something
I made a thread about years ago and got told its a waste of time.
Well 6-8 years later the 1900cc A series is almost a reality.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 14:26

Edited by D on 2011/6/3 14:42:43

From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Dave, sleeved A-series have been around a lot longer than your years-old suggestion. Just remember that not every single Datsun owner has established themselves on the internet (meaning: subsequently you haven't seen their work). The world is much bigger than the keyboard and LCD screen, so don't get yourself too excited over having suggested it just a some years back.

Secondly, there are a fairly sizable portion of Australian A-series racers, hill-climbers and sprinters that are running the 8- tongued crankshafts, yes A-series specific crankshafts.

Stop speaking like you've offered it before and only now it has been undertaken.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 14:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
You've jumped on your high rocking horse again Chris, Im clearly stating something you didn't even know existed recently "wet sleeving", no known "A" has it done to our knowledge here. When Ive made threads on wet sleeving others have bagged me about as a waste of time, actually not unlike you've done recently on other similar open minded subjects. Im happy that most of what Ive worked out as an enthusiast and stated in the past here has been done by Gary and shared recently unlike most speedway people. If you care to go back and read my threads you'd have a clue. You've clearly got nothing to contribute on this subject and I have. Asking me to stop my expression or ideas well I think you confused this site with gaybook or twits.

Back on the subject the turbo e15et rods (136.65mm) could be used but its requires a custom
piston with 25mm comp height or thereabouts which is a fine line.
A permanently glued on deck plate and sleeves would allow cheap pistons.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 17:38

Home away from home
From Christchurch
Group:
Registered Users
I looked pretty hard at this too D.
I worked out you could use the 140mm e15 non turbo rods or possibly ga16de rods depending on bew.
there is a 4 cyl daihatsu piston with a 19mm pin and a 23mm pch that could be used with the e16 crank and long 140mm rods in an a15 block Its only available up 77mm bore though. its in the acl piston catalog, i can dig out the part number if anyone is interested. Gives you 1640cc with a 77 bore iirc

Posted on: 2011/6/3 22:20

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey D. CA18DET single crank pulleys are pretty uncommon. The 2 pulley is more realistic. Either cut one pulley off on the lathe by parting through the last bit of the multi-vee on the front pulley. Otherwise get a FWD N13 EXA CA16/CA18 pulley.

Most S13 guys want to retain their power steering. So even aftermarket ones will be 2 pulleys.

As for the huge A-series. Live the dream and retain club rego. Best of all worlds.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 22:22

Home away from home
From Christchurch
Group:
Registered Users
One motor i want to build is for a mate, he has a nice wee coupe and we were going to build an a12 cheater motor for. A12 block (front dizzy so it looks like the original motor :D)a14 crank a12 rods bushed to 20mm and Wet sleeve the block to 81mm using 4age pistons. Gives 1587cc
And no certification required here in nz for a bigger motor cause its still an "a12"
He's pretty keen but won't happen for a while cause he's just brought a rally car with his old man so time and money is occupied at the moment

Posted on: 2011/6/3 22:24

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a couple of photo's of the E16 crank I have modified for the A-series block.

There is a couple of ways to make it work, either way is going to cost you money.

One way is to use the E16 crank with a Nissan conrod and get custom pistons made, or the other is to use the E16 crank with a aftermarket conrod and a shelf item piston, either way it will cost you about $800 - $1000, Pistons or Rods.

I have gone for the custom piston option.

On top of this there is of course the mods needed to the crank to get it to fit, (I'm lucky I can do all of this myself at home, would hate to think what it would cost to pay someone to do it all.)

Once again, two options, modify the rear of the crank to make it similar to an A-series crank, or modify the A-series block to suit the rear of an E-series crank. I have done the first option on this crank, it's alot of work to do it right!

Next time for my biggest block I will mod the block, why - I like the thought of the bigger PCD of the E-series bolts for the flywheel, going this way means of course I will need to make a custom flywheel to suit.

When I find time I am working on the 88mm stroke and 79mm (custom JE pistons) motor - 1725cc.

The three motors I'm working on at the moment are,

big - A15 crank 78.5mm pistons 1587cc
BIGGER - 88mm crank 79mm pistons 1725cc
BIGGEST - 88mm crank 82mm pistons 1860cc

Edit - One of the hardest things to do with these cranks is to actually find one, they are virtualy non-existant in Aus.

I have three, one I was extremely lucky to find in Aus, one I got sent over from a fellow member in N.Z. the third I got from America which cost a fortune. If you have one of these in Aus. consider yourself very lucky.

Attach file:

jpg  crank.jpg (70.42 KB)
2527_4de9725d6a61d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/6/4 0:48

Edited by Lemonhead on 2011/6/4 1:07:05

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Junkyards here are full of E16, $55 usd for crankshaft

Posted on: 2011/6/4 1:26

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the deal for me: I like the idea of a Grande-Bore A series. Even though modding the crank and custom pistons could cost as much as say $1500-2000 for a 1725cc engine, buy the time you buy another engine gear box and all the other little bits it may be a more cost effective option to stick with the A-series. In near stock trim I would expect around 95HP from a A17, maybe 120-125 in moderate trim and around 140-150 with some proper porting and large valves. Basically numbers close to an L18. In my case I already have a good cylinder head and the flat slide carbs, header etc. and I'm not looking to get more than 150-160 out of whatever motor I run.............I could get there now with an A14 or A15 BUT that is starting to get into a state of tune that means much much shorter engine life.

Anyway keep us posted on this, I would love to hear exactly what parts you used to make an A17 or A18 and what sort of engine life they have.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/6/4 1:57

From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
is the ga16 crank an option? those engines are everywhere you look in aus.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 2:47

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.