Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Should I lock my diff?
Home away from home
From Sunnybank, Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
i had no idea there where any datsun1200 members in vegas, i was only there a few weeks ago. wish i had of known. Anyways... LSD is the way to go, its not that pricey to get another diff. locked diffs for one are illegal on a street car and number two are dangerous, especially if you dont know what you're doing.

Locked:- 1. break stuff that doesnt normally break.
2. is illegal
3. is DAMN annoying when parking/driving slow and turning
4. is very tricky to get used to if you're not used to the arse end kicking out ALL the time

If you plan on holding onto the car for ages (like most of us) its worth the spending the money now to save yourself in the longrun.

LSD ALL THE WAY

Posted on: 2009/5/8 12:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From perth airport
Group:
Registered Users
so if ya a girl and cant handle a car go the lsd or why not a fwd better still auto awd :P

Posted on: 2009/5/8 13:53

Home away from home
From townsville qld
Group:
Registered Users
lol lol at perthute^^^^^^^^ just lock it u will get use to it after a week or two ya go through a few rear treads but haha...

Posted on: 2009/5/8 14:52

ca18det 1200 ute ,fmi,microtechlt8,turbosmart bov,= v8 eater

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
perthute.......love the girly man comment, shameless baiting of your freinds, I can repsect that :), BUT the limited slip diff is better. I've driven Super Vee's to 800 HP Vipers at the track and the whole "driver's car" mentality doesn't hold up. The easier a car is to drive the faster it will be. I'll go back 7 or 8 years ago as an example, I just finished driving one of those Viper Venom over the top sleds and hopped into a freinds Improved Touring class RX7 (150HP-ish) car. The Viper was a breeze to drive if you had you're head plugged in (it is a 3800lb car) the RX7 on the other hand bordered on frightening!!! Long story short is the car's rear suspension was binding, it would only do so if you really generated some cornering speed so in the middle of a 110 mph corner you'd go over a slight pavement ripple and WHAMO it'd snap 90 degrees sideways. It makes for cool drifting video but the car's owner was scaring himself to death...........because of the problem with the rear end the previous owner had this goofy set up in the car.......it was obvious something was wrong and it took all of 30 minutes under the car to find the problem. Don't get me wrong If as mentioned the choices are open diff or the Las Vegas locker there are some cases where it is the solution, it's just not on a street car. Again my opinion but to further hammer the point home; At Amtuer events you'll hear drivers talk about lines etc but at a Pro event all you will hear is talk about set up. Current F1 season Button is sticking it to the field, he is an awesome talent but do we really believe he's that much better than Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso or Massa..........set up is huge.

JMAC........the USA version of V8 Super Cars (Trans Am / SCCA GT-1) use a spool, we had a local Trans Am driver and he once mentioned you had to be very mindful of the rear tires or you'd burn them off in a few laps.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/5/9 1:52

Just can't stay away
From hervey bay queensland
Group:
Registered Users
mmm the old locker so much fun, i had one in my series 2 rx7 with a 13b extended bridgeport lockers and donuts = lots of fun :-] but on the down side there is the police factor and getting defected thats a risk ul have to take... wont take you long to get used to it then there will be smile from ear to ear.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 3:31

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Air Locker -- isn't that the best? Open diff for normal driving. Push a button to lock it.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 3:37

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
ive got a locked diff in my ga galant (daily driven) and love it i know exactly what its going to do all the time whereas when it was open it would spin single then two (catching you off gaurd)reverse parking and tight turns etc not a problem as far as im concerned.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 11:06

Home away from home
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
Howdy,

I have a locked diff in my 1200 coupe sports sedan
and would give it up in a heart beat if I could get a
ATB LSD centre for my H165 diff.

with the locker I don't dare go near any ripple strips
as they up set the rear drive so much with the locker.

at speed, the under steer into corners is exagerated with the locker also. I tend not to power in and turn at the same time.

it's almost like you can only do one thing at a time with a locker.

eg can't brake and turn
can't turn and power (tight)

trail braking works the best, but can go
very wrong very quickly.

my answer to a locker in a street car . . . . .
bad idea.

Some one mentioned earlier in this thread about the
V8 supercars running a spool diff. Yes they do, the rules were changed in 1998 (class started in 1994)as a cost cutting measure due to the large amounts of money that was being spent on LSD's that would handle 550hp. (now upto 650hp).

the handeling side of things was not taken into consideration. it was all about cost and evening up the playing field.
if they could run LSD's they would.
They spend the big money now on shocks and shock dynos.

So does anyone know where I can get an ATB LSD for my H165 diff?

Cheers,

Geoff

Posted on: 2009/5/10 8:51

From newcastle, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
So does anyone know where I can get an ATB LSD for my H165 diff?

A fellow member on this site is making a whole batch of LSD's for H165's, his username is topgear, he made a whole heaps a couple of years ago and they are highly recomended! there is a thread about them somewhere on here, better put your name on the list. I'm not sure if he has started yet though so you still might have time to put your name down.

Open in new window

heres the thread here, have a look!

Posted on: 2009/5/10 10:32

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't compare a V8 Supercar spool to a 1200 locker... For starters the suspension on a V8SC has cockpit adjustable front and rear anti roll bars, cockpit adjustable brake bias and with minor tweaks can change the centre of gravity of the car. With the amount of technology in the car a LSD would be a waste of money as they are to them, unpredictable. Like a detroit locker. Useless.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 11:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]