Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

#1 draw through turbo setup for a series
jarrydsNIZ12 Posted on: 2009/8/9 12:41
Hey everyone i want to put a draw through setup on my datto. Just wondering if i am missing any thing. I think you just need to weld the turbo to the headers. piping from the side of the turbo to the carby, pod filter on the front and the oil lines. Is that pretty much it
thanks guys

#2 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
dattoman_1000 Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:13
Sounds like you know what your doing
Don't forget to post pics

#3 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
steveo Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:09
Yeah you're on the right track, with a blow through the the carby is after the turbo, i.e the turbo blows air into the carby to mix with the fuel, you can also put in an intercooler with this type of system. Draw through(suck through) the carby is before the turbo, so the fuel is sucked through the turbo and then into the combustion chamber.

You need to either get your hands on a turbo manifold(like frankthedolphintrainer's or otherwise) or use whats called a 'J pipe' which is bolted to the factory exhaust manifold.

For a suck through(draw through) it is recommended to use a 1 3/4 SU or stromberg carby but a side draught webber can be set up for a cost by a carby speicalist.

Oil for the comes from the oil filter housing, you need to put a t-peice were the oil pressure sender goes and run an oil line up to the turbo oil inlet. You also need to weld a peice of pipe into the sump for the oil return off the turbo.

You'll need to take it to a exhaust place the get the dump pipe made up and you might need to get the rest of the exhaust done depending on your existing exhaust system.

Thers some other bits and peices, but they are the major bits to consider. anything else you would like to know just let us know.

#4 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
jarrydsNIZ12 Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:13
i heard draw through is easier n cheaper? an doesnt require a intercooler?

#5 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
steveo Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:18
I read in the other thread that you were looking for a32/26 webber downdraught webber, so i assumed you were going blow through. But you are correct, suck through set-ups are cheaps and easy and some great results can be acheived. And NO intercooler is used.

#6 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
jarrydsNIZ12 Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:24
yeah well i figured that it would work better with a better carb then my stock hitachi is that right? can i still run draw through off the 32/36?

#7 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
steveo Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:46
theres no reason why you couldn't, but it's heaps easyier with a Su or side draught webber, with a down draught you would have to make a speical manifold to make it work and be able to connect to the turbo. Do a search and have a look through the photos you'll see what i mean.

#8 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
jarrydsNIZ12 Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:58
ah yeah cuz id have to get piping to go to the top of the down draft?
where as if its a side draft itd be easier yeh?

#9 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
steveo Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:09
Quote:
ah yeah cuz id have to get piping to go to the top of the down draft?

huh? there is no piping that goes to the top( air fiter side) of the carby in a draw through set up, only on blow through.

#10 Re: draw through turbo setup for a series
jarrydsNIZ12 Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:17
my mistake
the turbo is after the carby so it doesnt need any piping off the carby just air filter??
ill have to get a custom made manifold but wont i to fit the turbo from the carby to the headers?
also what turbo do u recommend?

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]