Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

looking for help
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Toowoomba & New Jersey USA
Group:
Registered Users
I proudly bought a 1976 Datsun b120 ute about 2 weeks ago. I've never owned a classic car before but always wanted to...so I am quite new to this whole thing. I am not mechanically inclined at all but I intend to learn. So far I have done major repairs to the body work where there was rust and I've replaced the battery. The car seems to run fine but it has some slight problems. I am too anxious to get it on the road but I am worried that it won't pass roadworthy. Would rather try and do the work myself than take it to a mechanic and pay loads of money. Just looking for some help from the experts and wondering if anyone has encountered these problems before:

1) New battery will not hold charge (I've replaced the old one because it did the same)
2) Driver's side headlamp is out but works when I fiddle with the 3-prong connector
3) Driver's side indicator will cut out randomly
4) I notice after the engine runs awhile there is a slight leak at the top of the radiator...seems to be because the hose is pinched under the cap?
5) Passenger window winder is broken...assuming I can get one from the wreckers?
6) Wiper blades need replacing...does a normal auto store carry these?
7) Reverse lights do not work, replaced all the bulbs still don't work
8) License plate light doesn't work, checked bulb and it appears fine
9) Dash lights for tachometer and speedometer not working...don't know if its the bulbs or wiring....I've checked the fuses under the dash and they are all intact. Too afraid to remove dash.
10) Driver's door lock doesn't seem to work but I noticed that driver's door doesn't fully close, is this why?
11) Noise coming from rear wheels when I drive it, could be wheel bearings?
12) Interior dome light doesn't seem to have an auto function...it's either on or off

Maybe I'll post some pictures of it soon. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 14:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: looking for help
Home away from home
From the central coast, nsw
Group:
Registered Users
ur location too will help

Posted on: 2010/6/2 14:24

From hastings,vic
Group:
Registered Users
sounds like a bit of work??
hope your good with eletrical??

Posted on: 2010/6/2 14:29
hzj75 cruzer tray(for sale)
and allways changing

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
it would mostly be easy fixes ,as for the license plate light it could be where the parkers feed is joined for it ,it could be scotch locked or it could have a bad earth ,and the interior light wont have an auto on setting cos i dont think 1200s came out with an auto on and it can be done by adding the little pressure switch in the door ,and then running it to the light ,but most things on your list can be easily fixed with a test light and a soldering iron

good luck

Posted on: 2010/6/2 15:07
fairly aggro cam ,billet rocker spacers
twin 40mm solex carbs on bpro manifold
MSD 6al2 with 2 step limiter
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust
locked 4:11 ute diff

From Albany, Perth Australia
Group:
Registered Users
ok the reverse lights will most probably be the switch on the gearbox...either the wires have come off the switch or the switch is broken, always best to just replace. Most of the rear lights are probably just an earth problem. With the battery not holding charge obviously something is draining it and or the voltage reg probably not working properly but just test with a multimeter and you will find the problem. Probably best to check all the fuses properly by removing and cleaning the terminals, clean all terminals with crc or wd40 on the contacts(an old electricians trick which i got taught). and the display not working best to check the dash....not hard at all to just take the facia out by itself and just test from there. With the window winder take the trim off and have a look at the mechanism if its stuck just take it off and get one from someone, im sure someone will have one. Wiper blades you can pretty much get anywhere. Noise from the rear wheels could be anything best to jack it up and check the brakes and the wheel bearings. Drivers door its best to check the alignment and see if you can get it to shut properly otherwise just get another door lock. With the radiator under the cap is where it is meant ot go to an overflow take either fit one or solder it shut but best to get an overflow tank as they can come in useful. With the head lamp check the connections as one or to may no longer be attached to the light properly anymore or there is some corrosion in the plug, just unplug and see the spray crc or wd40 into the plug and retest again. I hope that helps

Posted on: 2010/6/2 15:25

Home away from home
From New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
is the gearbox a 4 or 5 speed?? on a 5 speed the reverse light switch hits mounts and so is usually cut off so reverse lights dont work??

Posted on: 2010/6/2 21:40

Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am from the gold coast..coomera. Never worked on anything electrical before so I am a bit scared. Hoping a friend of a friend will come over to check the battery with a multimeter and use a tester on the other items not working. As for the gearbox, it was previously replaced with a 5 spd on the floor and from reading your comments I am pretty sure they didn't connect the reverse lights when they did the job. Is it difficult to check? Also how can you remove just the fascia of the dash and not the whole thing? Online guides that I have found so far only show how to remove the whole thing. Checked the window winder and it needs replacing...anyone willing to sell a spare? Also I checked the drivers door it seems to be loose at the hinge. I tightened the nuts all the way but it seems to have no effect. I am able to lift the door about 10mm - 15mm upwards. I am thinking that this is affecting the door lock as the locks only seem to operate on this particular ute when the doors are fully closed?

Posted on: 2010/6/3 10:33

From Albany, Perth Australia
Group:
Registered Users
best to take the whole door of and check the hinges and the mounts and see if the metal has teared. With the dash there are a few screw to take off and you have to take the light switch, wiper switch, choke, i think thats about it and once its partially out unscrew the speedo cable

Posted on: 2010/6/3 10:38

Home away from home
From New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
have a look on drivers side of gearbox (from memory) for a couple of wires in a fitting. If none, they must have removed them

Posted on: 2010/6/3 10:51

Group:
Registered Users
Status update:

1) Installed new battery terminals this morning. Bought a battery charger and multimeter. Battery is now at full charge and the ute starts every time perfectly fine. Measured a constant 13.75 volts when engine is running and lights/radio are on. I am assuming the alternator is fine. Don't know the cause of the battery drain still.

2) Driver's headlamp still rooted on both low and high beam. Sprayed the connections with WD40 no help. I have a feeling that the headlamp is fine, is there any way to test it manually?

3) Driver's side indicator now working.

4) Radiator overflow tank installed.

5) Window winder still broke but I believe someone is donating one to me.

6) Wiper blades installed, had to cut ones down that I bought for local auto store.

7) Jacked the ute up and had a look at the gearbox. I believe I found the wires to the reverse lights and they tested live with my test light. There is two wires going into a box, wondering if the switch is rooted or perhaps the wires were previously hooked up incorrectly?

8) The license plate light is a mystery. I tested the bulb receptable with the test light and it is live. I pulled the old bulb out and replaced it with a new one but its still not working....grrrrr.

9) Dash lights still out. I can't seem to get the dash fascia to come off. There is only one screw left to take out I believe and its the one directly above the steering wheel up against the windscreen. I can't get a screwdriver in to loosen it since there is so little space. Any suggestions?

10) Driver's door lock still rooted, don't know why. I pulled the door lining off and had a look inside but I can't find the cause of the problem. Every time I manually pull down the lock from inside the door panel it seems to catch on something, can't figure it out.

Can't wait to get my ute on the road!!!

Posted on: 2010/6/6 8:35

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.