Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Insurance Dispute
Home away from home
From Sid-knee
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all, long-time no post... I am looking for some advice:

A few months back I was in a very minor, at fault accident And being uninsured I have received a bill from the other driver's insurance company.

The bill is 6 grand and seeing as there was no damage to my car I am amazed! Gobbsmacked. I have to sell my car. The BMW involved apparently needed a whole door replaced and the invoice includes 11 days car hire.

Firstly, can anyone verify or help me out verifying door replacement costs for a 2008 BMW 125? Nobody (panel beaters, smash repairers, dealers) will give me an approximate cost without seeing the car!

Secondly, has any ever disputed an insurance company invoice and got anywhere? Is it worth forking out 500 - 1000 bucks for a lawyer to write a letter?

Any advice would be great.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 8:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Insurance Dispute
Guest_
they are probably chaging for the whole door assembly, including glass etc. 6k would be right for paint blending, new door from original spare parts, car hire (depending on what type of car- similar car to bm would be $100 plus a day plus insurance on that through hire company)and any other associated legal costs and fees from insurance co.
get a break down of all the costs and copies of invoices and work it out from there.
panel shops usually overinflate the price of labour and parts for insurance jobs so you might be able to haggle it down a little with advice and assistance from people in the trades

Posted on: 2010/8/24 8:40

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
evidence that the door needs replacement is good, Id rather go to court and pay them
$25 a week for whatever it takes than to pay 6k all out.
I reckon if your car is fine then the door on the car could be recovered for less.
Shouldnt cost more than 2k bastards

Posted on: 2010/8/24 8:55

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
Well I was in the same situation as you last year or thereabouts, at fault rear ended an astra. I took photos of the damage to their car, was sweet F All and they wanted 2.2k I got break downs of the work done etc but it costs like 2k just to touch one of the plastic fantastic cars these days.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the full break down invoices are only provided to insurance companies on request as it took over 2 weeks to get them. This means the repairer can just inflate costs accordingly to make the invoice match out and u will still have to pay.
It cost me over $250 just for removing and replacing the badges on the panel. Go figure...

I'd do what D said even though u'll have to pay court costs, at least you wont have to sell ur car.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 9:10

Group:
Registered Users
"how would you like it if an old car dented your near new BMW and you took it to a panel beater and they told you they could put a new door on for 6k or use the old door and bog it for 3k?" which option would you choose knowing your insurance will pay for it? Just a thought

Posted on: 2010/8/24 9:21

From Freo
Group:
Registered Users
i did it many years ago, cried povo, you can't get blood from a stone so to speak,
ended up in a court meeting, argued the point, paid a lump sum and offerd a few bucks a week, they took the money and didn't worry about the weekly payments, $2k was a whole heap better than the 7k i was up for, they can't make u sell your car, u need it for work etc, u can go bankrupt if u have 7 yrs to wait for a loan etc..

point learnt, get insurance.. !!!

Posted on: 2010/8/24 9:43
A15 PSI Project Motor
'72 CB750k,

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
yep unfortunately this is why you need 3rd party minimum, panel beating is rediculously expensive

crying povo, and especially bankruptcy could be a bad idea if you want to get a home loan ever

Posted on: 2010/8/24 9:54
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Perth WA AUS
Group:
Registered Users
I do insurance work for flooring and when quoting an insurance job I allways add about 30% to the real price of the job, everybody does it.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 10:00

From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
That really sucks Jack, good luck with it all.

I think you may have to bite the bullet and pay the bill.

Otherwise I guess you could ring BMW parts and get a price on a new replacement. Then maybe ring a wrecker and see what second hand ones fetch (which there may not be many of but it will give you an idea of the price range). But basically they will just 'invent' costs to make sure they get what they are after.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 10:19

Guest_
i was talikng from the point of having worked in car insurance for over 3 years. i have always thought if you cant afford or get the insurance, you cant afford the car.

And that was before i ever worked for insurance.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 11:58

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.