Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

cost of paiting
Just can't stay away
From ashtonfeild maitland nsw
Group:
Registered Users
how much dose it cost to paint nothing fancy just black inside and out on a cra that has been sandblasted and primed

Posted on: 2011/1/6 8:39

Re: cost of paiting
Guest_
think should be less than $500 if you have to buy paint, primer, putty, prep wash and even a cheap compressor and crap gun. to do your self.

Or just a lot of cans of kill rust at $15 a pop from bunnings

Posted on: 2011/1/6 9:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisvegas, oz
Group:
Registered Users
skies the limit...depends on who does it and to what quality. rule of thumb.... you get what you pay for

Posted on: 2011/1/6 9:58

From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
I know unfamilia is joking - but don't use kill rust (or any other epoxy enamel anti rust type paint) on the 'topside' of the car. It is an excellent strong resilient paint for the underbody/suspension but it has one weakness (if you could all it that) and that is that it fades (a lot, and quickly) in direct sunlight.

And the next thing you'll learn is that acrylic won't go over enamel properly, and you'd have to strip the lot back to get anything like a good surface prep.

On the cost side of it - seriously allow a couple of hundred for paint/thinners/clear - about $300 might just cover it, but could come in closer to 500. Then of course there is labour. If someone doesn't charge a decent rate, it's either because you are a close friend, or their skills aren't worth big money - at least that is usually the case.

Unlike practically anything mechanical which can always be rectified later on when you have time/money (not always the best idea, but certainly true) - the paint, you're 'stuck with it' for years unless you want to start again from scratch. So it pays to put some dollars into it (which is probably why my cars both need work on the paint side of things!)

If you are looking to really save, you could consider getting some flat or satin black, spraying yourself then a few coats of clear. The good old 'drift spec' paint job. And satin/flat blacks will hide a lot of imperfections in body/prep/paint skills quite well. But that colour/look is certainly not for everyone!

Posted on: 2011/1/7 3:46

From Rosewood, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
mmmm kill rust

Posted on: 2011/1/7 4:23

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
If you mean 'primed' as in all the bodywork & masking is done then someone might do it for as little as $500-$1000.

If not, then you could be looking at $5k+

Posted on: 2011/1/7 5:19

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Unfamilia wheres that link you posted before on the American paint with roller system?

I would recommend POR15 Black Coate with a good quality roller, best paint Ive ever
come across or had the frustration of trying to scratch!

Posted on: 2011/1/7 5:37

From MOOROODUC. Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
I was quoted $1500 to $2500 from various panel beaters for a quick 2-pack 'blowover'.. go see your local guys and tell them that you will have the car totally stripped and back to bare metal except for any bog you need to make it straight. so all you have is the shell totally clean and ready (that way all they need to do is chuck it in their booth and spray undercoat, give it a quick sand and then paint). If you get a quote anywhere near $1000 then you are doing well.

I decided to take my time and do it all myself, got up to the last coats and got some dust land on the new job - I could cry (it might buff out).

Posted on: 2011/1/7 7:20
Green Sedan #2 (Current build: DEMAC's 1200 Sedan)
Brown 4 door AUTO Sedan for sale...

Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
here's some good reasons to stay away from quick fix paint & rust products, POR-15 & the like. Do with it what you will but for all the efforts & labor I've poured into my project I'm not interested in having the same problems, its just not worth the risk when there are so many other ways to do the project correctly.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?285-POR-15-Question

Jmac's right, it'll cost a fair bit in decent materials & with something that rusty it'll need a LOT of loving to get it straight, prepped & ready for a topcoat of paint - it will not come cheap at a body shop & if it does be wary! Think of it this way, anyone w/o any mechanical experience can turn a wrench & learn along the way w/o too much harm caused - paint & body's a totally different story & to get it right takes effort, a lot! You get what you pay for.

some of the paint & body experience & advice I've read here is suspect to say the least, let see...beer cans stuffed into rockers then bondo-ed on top of them, fish oil inside panels for rust protection, how does that help paint adhere to metal & you know its going to get on the outside of vehicles. You just cant cheat on trying to get rid of rust, cut it out & weld in new metal & forget encapsulating it. Surface rust- grind or sand it off then spray w/epoxy as a seal coat.

The fast & easy fixes will haunt you, do it right the first time.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 16:16

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
i would love to se a quick blow over job at $2500,100% in a few monts paint will flake off the gloss will fade and i very sure it will be like bondi beach on the long pannels, most ppl spent up to $10k for a imaculte paint job ive even seen paint work costing $25k and up in and out,

at the end of the day dont expect a great job and they wont use good paint brands either hahahah they will use the cheapest of cheap rubbish on your beautiful car ;)

Posted on: 2011/1/7 22:04

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.