Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

More head Trivia
Just can't stay away
From Whetstone,Arizona
Group:
Registered Users
Hi folks ,
the A14 head can be found in the B210 like my1977 honey bee that I race . I believe that they we're available "74" through "78" and there we're lots of them sold in the USA so a wrecking yard
will be a good supply source. Later models like the F10 and the 210 "79" had A15 engine also the B310 or just 310 I'm not sure of the exact model designation had A14 or A15 engines .
There are even some forklifts out there that had "A" series engines in them !
As far as tricking out any head you already have i.e.The A12,A14 or A15 there are lots of things you can do depending on how adventurous you want to get!!
Port and polish will yeild power gains and 3 or 5 angle valve grinds help also hand grinding the sharp lips in the valve pocket helps the flow into the combustion chamber . The Bronze/
aluminium valve seats don't really need to be replaced but are a bit trickier to put a good multi angle valve job on because you MUST use a cutter NOT a grinder to cut the angles with.
Any reputable high performance machine shop should be able to do any of the work to your head you ask them to do if you ask them for spacific items to be done . If they seem puzzled or can't
answer ALL your questions real easily take your head and run the other way .
If you want real performance and have a LARGE budget check out Mullvern or PEACO (both online )or D.L. Potter in Fremont california(not online )and they can put a super trick head set up for
you . Don't be discouraged and don't be afraid to try to be creative . I heard of guys cutting down L16 valves after modifying the ports and installing the matching seats in an A14 to get
marvelous increases in flow .So let your pocket book and imagination guide you.
One other thing ,Look for the factory goodies like the GX option stuff that could be ordered like the GX duel SU intake ( Iam looking for one myself) And NISMO still has some neat stuff they
sell right out of a catalog . Iam hoping to put a list togather that will be on My web page as to the sources for all the places for the parts we Datsun A/nuts need .
I hope to Launch that web page soon and you will all be invited!!!
Steve

Posted on: 1999/7/1 12:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: More head Trivia
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Well, your e-mail is very helpful. Im trying to figure out the best combination for A series engine and this sort of stuff helps. I had a A15 with a cam and stock pistons, with
oval port head and GX valves, and twin SUs. It went really well but i know it can have more punch for sure. Smoked up the rear wheels for sure!

Davo

Posted on: 1999/7/4 12:23

Re: More head Trivia and improvements
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
There are several type of A14/15 heads. Go for the high comp. head (not dished out). These have 9.5:1 compression. A15s in AUS are mainly high comp.

Don't enlarge the ports matching to the inlet, they are already large enough. Enlarge around the exhaust valve area and out and get some cut down 1600 valves to fit. The exhaust
porting hugely boosts better flow and power. If you are rich or race, do the inlets. I got my head done for $300AUS. Then get good manifolds (handmade steel inlets $200AUS are as
cheap as new aluminiums but are port matched to the head and work heaps better).

Posted on: 1999/9/15 5:59

Re: More head Trivia and improvements
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Im going to be rebuilding my A15 soon and the head is in for a major overhaul. But i will be porting the inlet out big-time. My freind just finished his A15 head and his inlets are huge.
Im going to practice porting on some old A12 heads first and then port the A15 out. I knows its hard but i will get the hang of it. My freind flowed his head at Russel Jones Engineering
and it was good for 180-200hp. He also has a stroker crank for an A15 which i am keen to buy but i doubt it will be cheap.

Handmade steel manifold? What carbs? How hard is it to do?

Davo

Posted on: 1999/9/15 8:35

Re: Steel manifold & cheap goodhead work
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Steel manifold is difficult to make. You need to form steel to ovals to round to tapered out. (I think you need to be gifted!). Anyway below you can get one made up.

If you are an Australian resident well consider "Mammi Motors" on the Peninsula in Victoria (40 mins from Melbourne). Steel manifold for $250 (don't quote me on this) for Webber 40s
or 45s. Ph: (03) 5977 7973. They also do nice head work for around $300 which includes porting and 1600 exhaust valves (don't quote me on this either).

Steel won't break and would be ported to "your" head.

Posted on: 1999/9/16 6:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]