Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Car Running Too Cold?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah not sure what old-tin is on about but I thought that was a pretty solid write-up.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 0:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
sorry i don't mean to cause trouble! was just looking for an explanation from the datsun crowd! seeing as the engine is datsun.. either way it's going to a wonderful mechanic this weekend (have since removed it from dodgy mechanic) he said give him an hour and we'll have it all sorted.. great guy

Posted on: 2011/5/23 0:47

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dodgeman wrote:
Quote:

old-tin wrote:
wow Dodgeman i actually feel dumber having read that misinformed load of monky[monkey] spunk.
are you shour[sure] that your[you're] not the mechanic raping his wolet[wallet].

Perhaps you could point out, in dot point form, each & every error in my post, along with the correct reply that I should have written & we can all be enriched by your giant intelect.
Learning to spell will lift our view of your educational standard & will help with your credibility.

Thomen

I have your e-mail & have replied.

there is a discussion about your post on the morris forum feel free to check it out.
it's not so much your idea's on cooling thay are valid, but your interpretation of fuel and air behaviour is #OOPS#.

i could do a 1/2 page on your errors but i would hate to offended you with all my spelling mistakes. best you investegate how fuel vaporizes(-atomizes:)as it enters the engine and can infact do a 90deg turn without a heated manifold, as thay are for EMISSIONS

Posted on: 2011/5/23 1:22

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Well maybe the Morris crowd doesn't know as much about engines as they should. Back in the 1920s and 1930s they were heating the intake charge for better atomization, and that certainly was not for emissions.

Yes, you don't need heated intake, but sometimes it helps -- it's the latter refinement which some people have trouble understanding.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 8:20

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

old-tin wrote:
there is a discussion about your post on the morris forum feel free to check it out.
it's not so much your idea's on cooling thay are valid, but your interpretation of fuel and air behaviour is #OOPS#.

i could do a 1/2 page on your errors but i would hate to offended you with all my spelling mistakes. best you investegate how fuel vaporizes(-atomizes:)as it enters the engine and can infact do a 90deg turn without a heated manifold, as thay are for EMISSIONS

Well don't be shy, send me your half page of corrections as an e-mail & feel free to leave a link to the Morris website as I would dearly love to see what is being written behind my back.

I guess that in 45 years as a motor mechanic & 31 years as a small Datsun owner/maintainer/modifier I have obviously learned nothing but am ever willing to learn from those better versed than I.

I learned my trade in the '60's when many of our cars were years away from being manufactured & EFI was but a dream, yet problems with fuel vaporisation were well known & had been for at least six decades before that.

Even now this very subject is being discussed in the current edition of "Flight Safety Australia" [May-June 2011, issue 80] the aviation industry publication on air safety & aircraft maintainance.

Try page 24, the article is called "A Chill in the Air" & it deals principally with carburettor ice & its causes. It also describes the conditions that I described in my post. The aviation solution to this problem is "carburettor heat" where hot air is fed to the inlet of the carb while the automotive industry went for "hot spot" manifold heat, which was replaced by water heating of the inlet manifold, then hot air induction was added to make a near perfect package.

Perhaps you & your fellow forumites should do a little research before dumping on me or anyone else who has a better understanding of physics than you do.

Remember, if you're talking about me behind my back, you are close enough to kiss my [censored]

Posted on: 2011/5/23 9:41

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ddgonzal wrote:
Back in the 1920s and 1930s they were heating the intake charge for better atomization, and that certainly was not for emissions.

thay also had side valve engines(with a waping 20hp), updraft carburetors, buggy springs.
everyone in this century should remove there cold air intakes and redirect there intakes to face the headers i supose

Posted on: 2011/5/23 9:43

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dodgeman wrote:
Quote:

old-tin wrote:

Well don't be shy, send me your half page of corrections as an e-mail & feel free to leave a link to the Morris website as I would dearly love to see what is being written behind my back.

Even now this very subject is being discussed in the current edition of "Flight Safety Australia" [May-June 2011, issue 80] the aviation industry publication on air safety & aircraft maintainance.

Try page 24, the article is called "A Chill in the Air" & it deals principally with carburettor ice & its causes. It also describes the conditions that I described in my post. The aviation solution to this problem is "carburettor heat" where hot air is fed to the inlet of the carb while the automotive industry went for "hot spot" manifold heat, which was replaced by water heating of the inlet manifold, then hot air induction was added to make a near perfect package.
quote]

well as a seasoned mechanic you would now that there is a big difference between an aircrarft doing 200mph in -20deg c and a motor car at sealevel(never hered of iced up jets in australia not even full on race boats), and the fact that you try to use that as verification is hilarious. im by no means trying to offend you but compleatly disagree with your interpretation on fuel atomization(not vaporization) and when i get time i will send you an email

have a nice day

Posted on: 2011/5/23 10:04

From South east Qld, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

when i get time i will send you an email

post it up here i wanna see if your argument is legit, omen asked if/why his car is running cold and dodgeman gave an explanation what he thinks to be the problem so whats yours?

Posted on: 2011/5/23 10:11
Previous Datos -
ca18det 1200 ute 180rwkw
12a montser port 1200 ute 212rwhp
Stocko 1200 wagon

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
the problem is the car runs like #OOPS# and the mechanic told him it's because of the extractors that the car is not reching operating temp. now i we don't now if it is or isn't heating up and if it's not, the thermostat should be tested or replaced.
hard to say what his engine problem is but the things i would check are(and this advice has been given to tom) bad fuel, fuel line blockage,chinese carb not a12 specific, bad tune.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 10:31

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

old-tin wrote:
well as a seasoned mechanic you would now that there is a big difference between an aircrarft doing 200mph in -20deg c and a motor car at sealevel(never hered of iced up jets in australia not even full on race boats), and the fact that you try to use that as verification is hilarious. im by no means trying to offend you but compleatly disagree with your interpretation on fuel atomization(not vaporization) and when i get time i will send you an email

have a nice day
Quote:

Dodgeman wrote:

Been a while since I saw a jet engine with a carburettor, oh wait, nobody mentioned jets at 200mph & at high altitude [where it's really cold] except you.
Not a relevant comment & it is therefore ignored.

Aircraft have been using internal combustion, reciprocating piston engines with carburettors since December 1903 & you can still buy them in this basic configuration brand new.

Still waiting for that forum link.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 10:33

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.