Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Car Running Too Cold?
Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
Inlet manifold / Carby bolts onto flap.

Flap open when cold allows hot exhaust air flow over base of carby for all the reasons above.

As car warms up the spring expands closing the flap to avoid overheating base of carby for same reasons.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 8:02

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
so the spring will auto close? I wouldn't have to adjust it? so that's something to be wary of if it was getting painted?

so i guess I'd need a stock carby manifold as the one on the car with the extractors isn't setup for this.. and then a gasket..

Posted on: 2011/5/26 8:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Umm you don't NEED to have the stock setup, it helps with cold starts and all that sure but it isn't enough to say that 'it's because you are missing the stock setup that this is your problem'. It's probably a combination of things.

I ran a 322 duration, 11mm lift cam with twin Mikuni's with 34mm throats, and the cold starts in the morning were definitely difficult, but it still ran, that A12 had alot of overlap too but it still ran.

Seriously, I picked up a running A12 for $50.00 including an engine stand, they sell for cheap just get a unit that works and be done with it.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 8:56

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Not only do you not need this, but it WILL NOT solve an under-cooling problem. It is only for cold starts, and has no effect on the coolant temperature of a warm engine.

Thom, how do you know that your engine is running cold? What are your symptoms?

Posted on: 2011/5/26 9:08

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
I ran extractors with a stock inlet manifold and 36/36 weber through 2 winters here in Canberra.

Never had this problem.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 9:47

Group:
Registered Users
I'd say carb and temp sender is problematic.

Second is vacuum leak and ignition.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 9:49

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Temp sender?

The carb has been checked, setup and tuned perfectly so we've ruled that one out.. The dizzy I went from a bluebird s2 (having the same problems I'm still having now) back to points to rule out the dizzy.. car still exhibits the same problems..

thermostat was apparently replaced (of this im a little dubious and this will be checked this weekend)

basically the problem I have is.. unless it is a hot day..

as im going up through the rev ranges, regardless of whether I've been driving the car for 10mins or for an hour (on a cold day).. the car FEELS like it's being starved of fuel.. what i mean by that is that it's sputtering up through the lower rev ranges of the car or when under load up hills..

but on a warm day.. nothing.. no glitches.. which leads me to believe the thermostat has to have something to do with it..

but i dunno! ill let you know what it is this weekend after seeing a REAL mechanic (not this mta,nrma approved joker i just saw)

Posted on: 2011/5/26 13:30

Group:
Registered Users
My 1200 ute in PNG was run without a thermostat and was fine. I couldn't get a replacement quick enough and had to run without.

The engine I just removed from a friends recent swap also had the thermostat out and there wasn't an issue (good chance to plug the video! Here) he also ran a thermo fan full time. Sure a bit grumpy at cold start but no hesitations or splutters.

Who tuned the carb and how was it done?

If I throw the pair of webers I have here on my engine it will rev hard and idle fine with about 10 minutes of tuning take it on the road and it will stall before I am out of my street. A perfectly tuned carb means it has been tuned and assessed off load and under load, under load meaning driving it. Have you had this on a dyno? Or have you done a road tune with a sensor.

Finding it very hard to believe it could be much else unless you have some other obscure problem.

Do you want a running A12? Or would you like me to send you a carb off one of the two runners that I have here? You can try them and if the problem persists at least you have saved yourself throwing more money away at assessing the carburetor.

I have two motors, both were running and I can vouch for having driven one of them.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 13:35

Group:
Registered Users
I think the trick is to try and diagnose it with as little cost and most efficient effort so I am happy to send you a carb or two to try, you'll need to spray some carb cleaner through them quickly, or I could do that quickly.

Have you tried to shroud the intake of the radiator?

Posted on: 2011/5/26 13:42

Home away from home
From Ringwood, Melbourne, AUS
Group:
Registered Users
When it feels like it is starving for fuel, have you tried pulling the choke on a bit to see if a bit of extra fuel helps it?

Posted on: 2011/5/26 13:43

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]