Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Ring seating / run in
Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
question for all the A series guru's - Bige, D, DD, etc...

coupes finally on the road, I noticed a little smoke at the stoplight upon takeoff after idling so I was wondering about stem seals, valve seating, guides, etc.. as that seemed the likely culprit.

ran a compression test, 1,3 & 4 are all in the 150ish range & lucky # 2 is running at about 120ish #'s - sucks huh. I did the oil squirt test & of course it went right up to the 150's so that means rings - I've got about 150 - 200 miles on the car maybe?? haven't really kept track but I'm wondering if there's any chance of the rings in #2 seating if I take it up & down the freeway hard or at this point am I doomed to pull the piston & re-ring it?

Thoughts.......

Posted on: 2011/9/30 16:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ring seating / run in
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Were the rings moly or steel?
Moly coated rings tend to bed in more quickly, whereas steel ones can take a bit longer. Have you got any steep hills where you live? A few trips up a steep hill under heavy load (But not allowing low rpms) is good to bed in rings.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 20:27

Quite a regular
From Vanderbijlpark.South africa
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, to be honest i think it would be better to overhaul the engine new rings big end bearings, even main bearings would be a good investment, i did mine almost 2 years ago did everything except the cam bearings, and solved the smoking problem

Posted on: 2011/9/30 20:30

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
so the engine has only done 150 miles? bedding in the rings is done by loading up the motor, not revving it hard. Like going for a drive up a hill/mountain... but if its down on comp and youve just done the rebuild id be looking at the head as being the culprit

Posted on: 2011/10/1 0:32

Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
the motors a complete rebuild - new rings, bearings, cam, crank polishing, head re-done, etc.... I have not loaded it up a hill too much & the oil in cylinder test usually indicates rings leaking by. Compression shot up past 150 with oil in cyl., w/o oil its at 120+ psi - I talked to the machine shop who I had do the bore, hone & crank work (I assembled the motor - that means I'm the one who screwed it up) & they said the same thing, take it out on the freeway for a 2 hr drive & load it up, that about the only way its going to seat in.

If that doesn't work I get the pleasure of tearing it down & re-ringing the #2 piston - oh boy!!!

Posted on: 2011/10/1 0:39

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
Ernie (bige) would know whats happening ! The rings might not be comletely bed in yet ,if the comp comes up with oil then its the rings ,so unless the rings have lined up

Ernies the guy to talk to ,he's got years of experience on a series motors and realy knows his stuff

Posted on: 2011/10/1 1:07
fairly aggro cam ,billet rocker spacers
twin 40mm solex carbs on bpro manifold
MSD 6al2 with 2 step limiter
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust
locked 4:11 ute diff

Home away from home
From Portland OR. USA
Group:
Registered Users
Do some pulls up a hill with a good amount of throttle working in the 2500 to 4000 rpm range. It's the compression gases behind the rings that provide the force to hold the rings against the cylinder walls.

If you baby the engine too much during break in the rings don't get the force necessary to seat properly.

Posted on: 2011/10/1 21:57

Not too shy to talk
From Warrnambool VICTORIA
Group:
Registered Users
I have had this problem over the years also... not so much smok issue - to me that means worn rings, but ring wear and knowing if they have bedded in or not. As Estyre said, they may not be worn in yet or they could have lined up. We i have had both problems. I have put in new sets before and they had low compression in each cylinder, so i have pulled it down and rang the ring builder, he said put it back together and run it in for longer. Sometimes they just take forever. I have also had broken rings and the line up issue. Can i suggest you purchase gapless rings from "Perfect Seal Piston Rings" he is located in Melbourne and i can assure you there will be no problems after this.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 2:19

Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
well I took it out on the freeway today & ran it up to Bellingham which is about 85 miles north of where I'm at so I put about 175 miles on it today, pulled it in the garage when I got home & checked the compression & it hasn't budged, still at about 120+ psi.

I'd think the rings would of bedded in by now, that was under load running between 65 & 75 mph the whole way so I think I'm in for a tear down & re-ring of #2, I can keep trying to get it to quit but I'm mostly just doing around town puttering so not much load going on to get rings to seat.

Its frustrating, I really didn't want to pull the motor again.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 5:54

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes a glazed bore could cause the issues you mentioned
from over fueling but more likely in quad carb setups.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 6:55

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]