Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Legality of Fender/Guard Mirrors in NSW?
Not too shy to talk
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

I'm considering putting JDM (GX) style mirrors on my 1972 1200 Coupe. But before I start the inevitable searching I wanted to ask the legality of the mirrors, particularly for NSW?
I know a few fellow NSW members on here have them installed (Benny, DA75EZ, noteven etc).

I've tried the RTA website (useless) and the tech wiki (which has plenty of info but nothing on legal status).

I know the question has been asked numerously as I've conducted a number of searches on here which turned up a variety of conflicting information. So far I've read:

1) Mirrors can only be fitted if they were a factory option. Obviously they were available in Japan but not on 1200s here in Aus, is it still legit?

2) Mirrors must be collapse able on impact. This makes the most sense, they'd cause some damage at 100km/h. Does anyone know if the factory GX mirrors (or aftermarket) collapse at all?

3) Mirrors only legal before a certain year? These posts were mostly from people outside NSW. I've read conflicting reports of 1971, 1973 and 1974?

Can anyone shed some light?

Cheers,
Tom

Posted on: 2011/11/2 2:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Legality of Fender/Guard Mirrors in NSW?
Guest_
Call rta tech area. Or an engineer, reason why you won't get 100% answer is that laws change and vary state to state. Basically if were option in Japan but not here probably due to adrs and impact impalement rules. Think they may be 1971 Or possibly 1969 ( don't quote me on year but this is why jag got rid of protruding badge for a while and door handles could not protrude from doors anymore).

Rta will beable to tell you 100% and then you may still get defected for them by a cop.

I can't see how they are more dangerous than those extended mirrors used for towing by great nomads

Posted on: 2011/11/2 2:51

Home away from home
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
My Gx genuine mirrors are spring loaded (collapsable)

Posted on: 2011/11/2 6:15

Guest_
Yes but were they available as option in Australia? If not covered off by engineer or ADR may technically may not be legal. But In reality I doubt insurance would deny a claim but tpp may for personal injury to a pedestrian that could be hurt.

Posted on: 2011/11/2 6:17

Not too shy to talk
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know the GX mirrors are collapsable.

DA75EZ where did you find your set? They can be pretty hard to come by.

unfamilia that's a good point about the towing mirrors, but common sense is not necessarily the RTAs strongpoint. You're definitely right about the police though, nothing to stop them defecting you. I'll make sure that IF I do it it'll be before I get it engineered.

Anyone know the answer for sure?

Cheers,
Tom

Posted on: 2011/11/2 7:28

Guest_
Rta or engineer- its all dependent on Adrs.

I think srb210 had to take his off for engineer. It was someone with a 120why. Engineer wouldn't sign off dye to them not being compliant, buy not in nsw

Posted on: 2011/11/2 7:29

Home away from home
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I got em off ebay, were pretty rough, but i polished the chrome and resprayed the bases and they were good as new

Posted on: 2011/11/2 7:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]