« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 29 »

Re: 3J Improved Production coupe build
Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
DATO_FREAK,
Thanks for the comments.
It was my first race weekend ever, I completed my licence test on the Friday. I know this car is a heap quicker then I am currently able to drive her. The last race was a cracker for me. There is video footage on youtube from the STI I was racing with which shows the battle we had towards the end of the race.

The car is restricted which limits my useful rev range, to hits the wall before 6500rpm so is geared to stay under that, this makes it rev lazy down the straight.

The rear is a problem that I won't have time to fix this year. I have deceided to upgrade to a KAAZ ramped LSD in lieu of playing with the factory diff but not till after I move to Perth in Dec and can pick a ratio to suit Barbagello. Agreed this will have a big impact on corner exit.

I was not happy with the front brake performance so am trying a new set of pads next race weekend. I have gone from EBC redstuff (Road pads) to Ferodo DS3000 (Race pad). The redstuff does not have a very aggressive initial bite and as a result I felt the need to brake earlier.
The Ferodo has a higher Friction Coefficient and more aggressive inital bite.

I am finding that the rears are locking first even with all the bias to the front. Given I am happy with the pressure I am using, to make a change it would require a master cylinder size change and/or more aggressive front pads. So I'll give the better pads a go first.

Bryan

Posted on: 2013/10/21 0:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Quite a regular
From Windsor NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome, good to hear.
Thats quite a big move.

A pad i have been using is QFM (queensland friction materials)
I use the A1RM which is a performance pad for street/track which i have found provides good initial bite and has been quite consistent with rating to 700 degrees i think from memory.
They are very reasonably priced too and worth a look if your comparing products etc that will suit your application and requirements.

For a restricted motor, it still has plenty of punch and good straight line speed.
You certainly look like you had it pretty sorted as seemed a pretty decent ratio for the track, just pitty you couldnt get that bit more down the main straight.

I really look forward to your next updates and races in Perth.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 1:26

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQ9KAjjViw
This is the view from the STI.
I don't come on the scene till the 10min mark. 10:50 you can see the extra legs I have over the 2.5ltr STI, which is another restricted Turbo car.
A little blocking at the Hairpin on the last lap (Didn't feel like it from my position though).
Last lap was my fastest at a 1:48 and as you can see has a heap more if I drive properly.
It's great to see the car from other angles, I might be biased but it sounds Awesome.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 8:41

Home away from home
From Brissy
Group:
Registered Users
looks like good clean fun 16:19 is the winner for me :)

Posted on: 2013/10/21 9:41

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
I replaced the front pads yesterday. Glad i did. The EBC pads had a rubber backing that had melted onto the pistons.
Locked in for next weekend at eastern creek. Last round of the year. Should be fun.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 20:52

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
weekend at the races went well.
Race 1 is up on youtube.

Race 1 IPRA Datsun 1200

I'll add the other two when I get a chance.
Qualified 9th, finished race 1 in 5th.
Race 2 and 3 were wet.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 7:24

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Race 3 was a wet one.
Still getting comfortable with the car in the wet so was pretty tentative for a lot of the race.

Race 3 IPRA Datsun 1200

Posted on: 2013/11/15 21:12

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
We have moved to Perth now so watch out for the car over in WA.
She arrived today safe and sound.
Also managed to jag 3rd place in the NSW State championship for 3-6ltr early model cars.
First of many trophies I'm sure.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 11:25

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Took the car out for a practice at Barbagallo on Saturday.
Best completed lap was a 1:05.6s. Funny thing was two laps later the session ended, I caught the red light after the last turn and pulled straight into pit lane. Back in the pits I reviewed the log and realised that lap was 0.8sec up on my previous best so was heading down main straight for a 1:04.8s which isn't too bad considering it was my first time at the track. Lap record for IP is a 1:02.??.

It was a really hot day and the car spat coolant in all three sessions. I thought it was overheating but reviewing the log have come to the conclusion that I have a blown headgasket. The coolant pressure was going up but the temp was in the 80s Deg. I have had issues with bubbles in the coolent before.
End result I have pulled the engine out and will replace it before the race session begins. Going to do some other prevantative maintence whilst the engine is out (Clutch, check gearbox, baffled sump install and head oil drain).

Looking to install a rear ARB before the first race, not happy with the amount of body roll in the car. Front ARB should be ok, but rears springs are very soft (Which is good for ride but not roll), I have a baseline now. It will be interesting to the lap times with each change.

I have some in car footage of the practice that i'll upload when I get it all together. Added a rear facing camera so now need some software to stitch it all together.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 1:34

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
test session footage
Barbagallo Test session

Posted on: 2014/3/11 11:37

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 29 »