« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: A good slush box decision for drift or skids :-D
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
thanks L18_B110, the wise words of someone who has built and raced these things

there's heaps of discussion about it in the 13seconds for $1300 thread

but you are absolutely right, the "autos" for drag cars are nothing like what comes in a production vehicle

the whole idea of using an auto in dirt/drift etc is also only applicable to massive power and masive budget vehicles,

there's no way you could extract good performance from a auto datto built on a budget, the clutch control for compression braking and lock ups and also the control of putting the power down through gear changes is absolutely mandatory to maintain corner speed

Posted on: 2012/5/16 8:05
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
None here have raced autos on the ashphalt behind a powerful A or L series.

For the street there are free mods that can be made to the accumulator springs, then money thrown at the stall converter and a fully manualised kit but its not an expensive exercise to do on the 3n71.

Given a choice atm Id choose a well prepped Jatco for $800-1200 than blow 60 series 4 speeds which are now rare.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 12:57

Group:
Registered Users
you always seem to describe a-series boxes as weak... why

i haven't found this to be the case

if the box isn't in bad condition to start with it's gonna put up with a lot of grief from any a-series

i've seen a few a-series powered rally cars over the years with a-series gearboxes competing for years without problem

we stuffed one once, but it was well worn when we got it

otherwise if your not doing burn outs and roll backs i dont see why you would consider them weak

even seen/had them behind turbo a-series without problem

Posted on: 2012/5/16 13:20

Group:
Registered Users
They are rare and old hard to find parts for now cant be clearer than that.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 15:50

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

D wrote:
None here have raced autos on the ashphalt behind a powerful A or L series.

For the street there are free mods that can be made to the accumulator springs, then money thrown at the stall converter and a fully manualised kit but its not an expensive exercise to do on the 3n71.

Given a choice atm Id choose a well prepped Jatco for $800-1200 than blow 60 series 4 speeds which are now rare.

I've raced an auto behind a 2J, does that count? I've also raced a Getrag 6spd 2J. Both stock with cat-back (around 185rwkw). Not many A series or L series turbos are going to make that. And there was not a single place that the auto could keep up with the manual, but I suspect if you ran them both at Mt Cotton hillclimb the auto might just beat the manual. Just because of the slippery launch pad where an auto can be gentler on the launch, the 2 real slow 1st gear corners where the tall 1st gear and particualrly the stall are an advantage, and the steep hills you need to upshift on. But I didn't run them both there... On the fast flowing Lakeside track, the manual was 1.9sec faster, but on lesser rubber - KU36s vs the auto on FZ201. You could easily add another second for that (at least!)

Your budget is totally unrealistic as well. A built manualised Jatco will set you back more like 3K than $1200!

Posted on: 2012/5/16 23:35

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
I blew up a 60a 4 speed behind my a15 ,it always crunched into second gear if I revved it out

It crunched in second on day and chipped a tooth which then went through the rest of the gear set and locked the back wheels up in the process.

So I bought another one that had reverse gone and made a good one out off 2 ,cost me 40 bucks for the new box then 7 for gasket goo

Only time ive seen them pop is if you are rough when changing gears

Also are t50 yota boxes any good ,can it be.used behind an a series ,I've got one but dunno what its good for ,came out of an ae86

Posted on: 2012/5/17 3:32
fairly aggro cam ,billet rocker spacers
twin 40mm solex carbs on bpro manifold
MSD 6al2 with 2 step limiter
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust
locked 4:11 ute diff

Group:
Registered Users
i have a couple of the dellow conversions with celica box, i think it's T5 not T50 though, they are great, tough, good shift, and great ratios

the condition of the gearbox is obviously going to determine the likely hood of failure, if you rebuild a 60 series your gonna get a good life span out of it even behind a really tough a-series

there's a good reason why there is limited experience racing auto's on ashphalt, cause just driving one around town you can tell it's a really crappy idea

Posted on: 2012/5/17 3:54

Home away from home
From Quairading, Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
only bad Auto I found was the Original Defect with it's blistering 69 horsepower... on the road the lack of power would be dangerous!

however rebuild it and stick it behind a Hot A14/A15 and it'd be good fun...

good thing is from 1000's/1200's to Patrols the 3N71 was fitted to everything Nissan...

Posted on: 2012/5/17 7:18

Group:
Registered Users
Harry - Mt cotton Hillclimb auto behind a smooth 2J sounds good, as for unrealistic, my buddy got a jatco with manaulised kit fitted for $1260 at footscray automatics a year ago for his Rx2 sedan definitely not unrealistic considered it also included seals and reco. Speak to Alan best bloke around used to have an 84 1200 ute he sold recently. Another example full reco of 4 speed ford auto 680 drive in out.

Mike- Its a t50 not a T5 big difference and they are rare now as rare as 60 series boxes. Why must you keep bringing your dellows conversion up? weve heard it like a broken record in all of my threads. - yet! you still forget its a t50 which is sought after by every corolla, celica and english car enthusiasts so its now a rare box. Ive had 2 of them myself one in a 1000 and its sucked prickly pears beyond belief as I had to take off in 2nd everytime behind an A14 with 185/60/13s first gear on all T50s are useless in a light car like a 1K.

Problem with a 4 speed auto is the weight and made for more than an A or L will need even boosted yet Id love one of the later 4 speed autos behind suzuki Jimnys and other jap small cars but they are rare Aisin jp only versions not available to the rest of the world. Maybe the Chinese will bring something out as cars get smaller and more economical and power is not such a priority.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 7:54

Group:
Registered Users
I stand corrected, the "T50" is an awesome box

and the only 5 speed conversion that makes good sense!

They still sell cheap, i have considered buying spares a number of times for $150-250 but i have a full conversion and 3 spare boxes im not using already

Most cars with power will take off in second, we still use first with our a14 celica boxed rally car with 4.9:1 diff though, depends whether you want street driven economy or hard launches as to which gear you will choose

you slag off the celica conversion all the time, i just come to its defence, don't take it personal it's just you haven't come up with a good alternative yet

Posted on: 2012/5/17 8:26

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.